Applause, Applause

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We saw a great movie at the local theatre last night, which is not what this post is about.

Although the audience was sparse, at the end of the movie, there was applause, very nearly as enthusiastic as at live theatre. Of course anybody with a brain knows those who had any part in the creation of the movie will never know people clapped.

We noted that nearly all the people at the movie were at least 45 years old and that it was all couples. (The movie was not a romance, FWIW.) Maybe audience age or composition has something to do with applause? I don't know.

But I know I've been to great movies lots of times, and applause is quite rare.

What, if anything, makes people clap at the end of a movie they really liked?

Do younger audiences, teens and young adults, applaud? (I know little kids do, but they're little kids.)Is it only couples? Does the kind of movie it is affect applause? Is it only feel-good movies? Is it only dramas which end happily?

Maryn, wanting to hear your theories

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
When I've been to midnight premiere showings for movies, the audience claps and cheers at the end. This kind of showing is populated with the fandom of said movie, so it's a really enthusiastic crowd.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
I've been to several theatres and the audience has broken out in applause. It's not happened often. I didn't really notice the makeup of the audience or who was applauding. It seems to me that someone seeing a movie solo would be unlikely to applaud unless they're caught up in the flow from the rest of the audience. Some movie events are geared for it, such as a SingAlong with The Sound of Music. That happened here recently, with kids and adults dressed up for the show. The Rocky Horror Picture Show could be another, where audience participation is encouraged.

I would think that it's the kind of movie as well as the crowd. Not necessarily couples, but people seeing a movie together would be more apt to applaud. Just my thinking.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Movies I've seen that the audiences clapped and cheered at the end:

- Toy Story 3
- True Grit
- The King's Speech
- Inception
- Tangled

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I go to a lot of test and advance screenings. The crowd almost always applauds.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maestro, the one we saw is on your list, and the one we're seeing tonight is, too.

Maryn, trying to see the nominees this year

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
The last movie I saw was Tangled. I was one of the people who clapped at the end--just like most of the people in the theater (and it was fairly packed).

If pressed to give a reason, I'm not sure that I could. Just showing appreciation, even if those who made the movie weren't there to hear/see it.