PDA

View Full Version : Back cover blurbs' critique

Snowstorm
01-29-2011, 09:19 AM
A new thread in the Self-publishing and POD sub-forum critiques art covers; what a great idea. Later, I was floating through a list of self-published books and read many of the back cover blurbs/synopsis/teasers. Many are confusing and littered with errors.

I was wondering if there's a thread or sub-forum for folks who are going to self-publish to post their draft back cover blurbs/synopsis/teaser for critique. So many of the back covers' text could use some new eyes to ferret out issues: poor grammar, a confusing synopsis or teaser, using a number rather than spelling it out, and so on.

I'm not published, self or otherwise ... yet. I thought such a thread might help our self-published authors sell a few books that stimulates a prospective reader with a high-class blurb.

I had checked the SYW forums. Perhaps Self-Publishing and POD isn't the right place either. Or maybe I just missed the right place.

FocusOnEnergy
02-07-2011, 09:57 PM
A good idea, I spent more time tinkering with my back cover than I did with the front, and what I ended up with was completely different from what I started out with.

I learned during the process that it is much easier to write marketing copy for someone else's product than your own.

Focus

valeriec80
02-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Generally speaking, I just end up posting these in Query Letter Hell. After all, a blurb is a blurb is a blurb, I figure.

Soccer Mom
02-12-2011, 05:46 AM
QLH is fine or in here is fine. The back cover is still part of the overall cover. Post and critique away.