PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Betas for Epic Fantasy; willing to reciprocate

staysong
01-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi,
I am at draft 2 in a 200K epic fantasy called "Cerfis." I really want some second opinions on the large scale issues of plot, character, theme, and setting before I continue to the line-editing stage.

"Cerfis" is a story about a princess who dreams of leaving her dark underground world and finding a paradise full of plants and sunshine. After her kingdom is destroyed, she finally finds a way to the surface--but it is nothing like her dreams.

To read the first 2000 words, go here. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5760462#post5760462)

I'd prefer readers who are at least somewhat familiar with the fantasy genre, but I'd happily take feedback from just about anyone. If you hate fantasy, this is not a beta read for you. It is an adult manuscript with some graphic violence and some dark themes, although I wouldn't call it dark fantasy.

I like critiques which are honest but constructive. EG, telling me you hated it doesn't really help me grow as a writer; telling me it's unbelievable when the MC suddenly turns into a cat is helpful.

One thing I am not looking for is a proofread or copy edit. The manuscript is reasonably clean, but I know it has a level of wordiness, awkwardness, and cliche. I will clean this up at the line-edit stage, but I am not to that stage yet.

I will happily reciprocate for you if you offer to beta read my manuscript. I am new to AW, but I have a few years experience in writing groups. I usually critique for larger issues; I can help with grammar if you have extensive problems but I am not a great proofreader. I can either swap now, trading chapter for chapter, or if you have something ready later on I'll reciprocate then.

Please PM me if you are interested, or if you have any questions I haven't answered here.

Thanks!
Staysong