Do you always address an editor by name when submitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent a good hour or two trying to track down the name of a fiction editor for a particular magazine. It's not on the website, in the Writer's Marketplace, or anywhere else. All I can ever find is, "Address fiction to fiction editor." But everywhere I read says you should put the editors name. I've e-mailed this magazine for the name, but haven't gotten any responses. Your call?

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a print magazine, check it at your newsagent. They're usually listed somewhere on the inside front cover.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
If it says address to the fiction editor, address it to the fiction editor. It'll probably go to one of a number of faceless and nameless readers, so there's no brownie points for putting a name on it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Editor

The first place to look for an editor's name is inside the magazine. Editors like writers to read the magazine, if they intend to submit stories, so the name goes inside the magazine and not on the website.

Some magazines work on a sort of rotating fiction editor method, however, and for these, "Fiction Editor" is the proper way to address the manuscript.

Sometimes, Googling the question can also give you an editor's name.

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, there's no editor's name on the masthead. I'm just going to submit to the fiction editor and let the reader throw it away after he reads the first paragraph.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Mike, Mesh138. When they have it as fiction editor like that, they often don't want writers to know their names for whatever reason and it's okay to address your query, etc that way. Much good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.