PDA

View Full Version : Do you always address an editor by name when submitting?

mesh138
10-10-2005, 10:32 PM
I've spent a good hour or two trying to track down the name of a fiction editor for a particular magazine. It's not on the website, in the Writer's Marketplace, or anywhere else. All I can ever find is, "Address fiction to fiction editor." But everywhere I read says you should put the editors name. I've e-mailed this magazine for the name, but haven't gotten any responses. Your call?

Cathy C
10-10-2005, 11:02 PM
What's the magazine? Someone here might already write for them! :)

emeraldcite
10-10-2005, 11:53 PM
You can always write or call them requesting the current masthead.

arrowqueen
10-10-2005, 11:57 PM
If it's a print magazine, check it at your newsagent. They're usually listed somewhere on the inside front cover.

Mike Coombes
10-11-2005, 12:30 AM
If it says address to the fiction editor, address it to the fiction editor. It'll probably go to one of a number of faceless and nameless readers, so there's no brownie points for putting a name on it.

Jamesaritchie
10-11-2005, 12:39 AM
The first place to look for an editor's name is inside the magazine. Editors like writers to read the magazine, if they intend to submit stories, so the name goes inside the magazine and not on the website.

Some magazines work on a sort of rotating fiction editor method, however, and for these, "Fiction Editor" is the proper way to address the manuscript.

Sometimes, Googling the question can also give you an editor's name.

mesh138
10-11-2005, 02:03 AM
yeah, there's no editor's name on the masthead. I'm just going to submit to the fiction editor and let the reader throw it away after he reads the first paragraph.

Susie
10-12-2005, 01:48 AM
I agree with Mike, Mesh138. When they have it as fiction editor like that, they often don't want writers to know their names for whatever reason and it's okay to address your query, etc that way. Much good luck