What do you do when you should be writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callista Melaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and assume that at last 90% of writers do their work on a computer with internet access (like me) which means there are a lot of opportunities to get distracted. So what do you guys do when you should be writing?

For me, the first thing I do on a computer before anything is log onto Facebook, and sometimes I get caught up in my facebooking that time just gets sucked right out.

Also, non-computer related, but I daydream about what I'm going to write later, but I don't actually write anything while I'm doing this. Heh.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Because I get so distracted with the internet, I've turned to hand writing my story instead. I've gotten more accomplished this way than sitting at the computer and putzing around on the internet. The writing isn't good, but when I go to type it out on the computer I can make it better. It has also given me the excuse to write crap just to get the idea down, and go back later to fix it. On the computer, I keep wanting to go back and fix things, and find better ways to write what I had just written. Pen to paper doesn't allow me that so easily.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and assume that at last 90% of writers do their work on a computer with internet access (like me) which means there are a lot of opportunities to get distracted.

I'll just say I'm one of your 10% that doesn't write on a computer with internet access. :) I bought an Alphasmart Neo to write my drafts on specifically because it has no internet access and no games. Just word processing.

Carry on! :D

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, life was so much more productive before I had wireless. If I wanted to cut of my distractions I could leave my room where the internet lived and go anywhere else in the house to write. But now even if I turn off my internet, it only takes the pressing of a button to reconnect and I am weak. So weak.
Also webcomics. Those bastards.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I have zero willpower. I have my little list of sites I visit before I start writing and twitter. Really Twitter is like a sponge that sucks time from my life.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write most of my first drafts in longhand, as well. But when I do work at the computer, I don't get distracted. Writing time is writing time, strictly scheduled, and nothing short of arterial blood, a house fire, or Reba McEntire is allowed to interfere. And even Reba will have to be knocking at the door, wanting me bad.

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
What do you do when you should be writing?

Uhh, I'm here, just reading away.

Callista Melaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'll just say I'm one of your 10% that doesn't write on a computer with internet access. :) I bought an Alphasmart Neo to write my drafts on specifically because it has no internet access and no games. Just word processing.

Carry on! :D

Wow I just googled that. Mind blown!

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
Me, surf? It's all for research. Honest.

(Count me as another one who ended up picking up a wireless-free laptop and uses a notebook to avoid distractions.)

LfB

Registered
Reaction score
(Count me as another one who ended up picking up a wireless-free laptop and uses a notebook to avoid distractions.)

I'm planning on doing this. It's terrible how little will power I have against wandering around the internet. At least I managed to take myself off Facebook (my life is now Farmville-friendslist-updates free)!

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
I read novels and roam the Internet. I tell myself it's 'research', but I'm a damn liar.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com

Me too - it's brilliant for NaNoWriMo. 700 hours battery life, tough as old boots. And it comes with Dvorak layout built in.

My problem is editing, which I have to do on my laptop. Mostly I'm pretty good - I make myself edit for a couple of hours, then allow myself to visit AW whilst I have a cup of tea and a snack. Plus, when I'm editing I often have to look stuff up on the interwebz, like how far it really is from Richmond to Westminster. So no internet access is sometimes more of a distraction for me, especially if it's an excuse to go and flick through the non-fiction books on my shelves in search of information!

Mostly, though, I enjoy writing so much, I'm not that easily distracted unless I'm tired. In which case I'm probably not going to write all that well anyway.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a book that requires me to stop and look up specific details of place or culture, so I have to keep the internets around while I am writing. However, I really need to keep myself under watch to be sure I'm only doing writing stuff online when it's writing time. :/

jenga

Level 1 Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Webcomics are a mild case of distraction, I can pull myself away easily. But if I start up Minecraft? Oy... It can go on for hours...

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a book that requires me to stop and look up specific details of place or culture, so I have to keep the internets around while I am writing. However, I really need to keep myself under watch to be sure I'm only doing writing stuff online when it's writing time. :/

Yep, me too. The pitfalls of the historical! But I adore my babies, so I just have to be disciplined.

But yes, it's difficult not to get caught on Facebook or checking e-mail!

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do the longhand thing and I don't have an internet connection at home (besides the one on my phone) I know, shocking. Also don't have cable.

I get caught up reading when I should be writing and either playing Fable III (or whatever game I'm currently obsessing on) or watching my SO play Mass Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.