PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you should be writing?

Callista Melaney
01-28-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and assume that at last 90% of writers do their work on a computer with internet access (like me) which means there are a lot of opportunities to get distracted. So what do you guys do when you should be writing?

For me, the first thing I do on a computer before anything is log onto Facebook, and sometimes I get caught up in my facebooking that time just gets sucked right out.

Also, non-computer related, but I daydream about what I'm going to write later, but I don't actually write anything while I'm doing this. Heh.

Tepelus
01-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Because I get so distracted with the internet, I've turned to hand writing my story instead. I've gotten more accomplished this way than sitting at the computer and putzing around on the internet. The writing isn't good, but when I go to type it out on the computer I can make it better. It has also given me the excuse to write crap just to get the idea down, and go back later to fix it. On the computer, I keep wanting to go back and fix things, and find better ways to write what I had just written. Pen to paper doesn't allow me that so easily.

scarletpeaches
01-28-2011, 01:51 AM
AW, I just wish I knew how to quit you.

Mr Flibble
01-28-2011, 01:58 AM
I taunt Scarlet with my sausage. *dangles it in front of SP*

Also, I've got a laptop with minimal internet (just for backing up). I write for a set time, then stop for a ten minute break and surf before I go back.

scarletpeaches
01-28-2011, 02:02 AM
*has a bad case of sausage envy*

Ineti
01-28-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and assume that at last 90% of writers do their work on a computer with internet access (like me) which means there are a lot of opportunities to get distracted.

I'll just say I'm one of your 10% that doesn't write on a computer with internet access. :) I bought an Alphasmart Neo to write my drafts on specifically because it has no internet access and no games. Just word processing.

Carry on! :D

Stlight
01-28-2011, 02:05 AM
10% here. I write in longhand first, then type into the computer. But I type it in before I connect to the Internet.

Karen Junker
01-28-2011, 02:30 AM
10% here. I write in longhand first, then type into the computer. But I type it in before I connect to the Internet.

Showoff.

friendlyhobo
01-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Ah, life was so much more productive before I had wireless. If I wanted to cut of my distractions I could leave my room where the internet lived and go anywhere else in the house to write. But now even if I turn off my internet, it only takes the pressing of a button to reconnect and I am weak. So weak.
Also webcomics. Those bastards.

Alitriona
01-28-2011, 02:43 AM
I have zero willpower. I have my little list of sites I visit before I start writing and twitter. Really Twitter is like a sponge that sucks time from my life.

Jamesaritchie
01-28-2011, 02:43 AM
I write most of my first drafts in longhand, as well. But when I do work at the computer, I don't get distracted. Writing time is writing time, strictly scheduled, and nothing short of arterial blood, a house fire, or Reba McEntire is allowed to interfere. And even Reba will have to be knocking at the door, wanting me bad.

lizbeth dylan
01-28-2011, 02:45 AM
What do you do when you should be writing?

Uhh, I'm here, just reading away.

Callista Melaney
01-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I'll just say I'm one of your 10% that doesn't write on a computer with internet access. :) I bought an Alphasmart Neo to write my drafts on specifically because it has no internet access and no games. Just word processing.

Carry on! :D

Wow I just googled that. Mind blown!

Bmwhtly
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Lately I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time stalking Peaches and reading online comics (http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/LAWSUIT-AVOIDED.png).

tirial
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Me, surf? It's all for research. Honest.

(Count me as another one who ended up picking up a wireless-free laptop and uses a notebook to avoid distractions.)

LfB
01-28-2011, 03:29 PM
(Count me as another one who ended up picking up a wireless-free laptop and uses a notebook to avoid distractions.)

I'm planning on doing this. It's terrible how little will power I have against wandering around the internet. At least I managed to take myself off Facebook (my life is now Farmville-friendslist-updates free)!

smcc360
01-28-2011, 04:03 PM
I read novels and roam the Internet. I tell myself it's 'research', but I'm a damn liar.

Anne Lyle
01-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Me too - it's brilliant for NaNoWriMo. 700 hours battery life, tough as old boots. And it comes with Dvorak layout built in.

My problem is editing, which I have to do on my laptop. Mostly I'm pretty good - I make myself edit for a couple of hours, then allow myself to visit AW whilst I have a cup of tea and a snack. Plus, when I'm editing I often have to look stuff up on the interwebz, like how far it really is from Richmond to Westminster. So no internet access is sometimes more of a distraction for me, especially if it's an excuse to go and flick through the non-fiction books on my shelves in search of information!

Mostly, though, I enjoy writing so much, I'm not that easily distracted unless I'm tired. In which case I'm probably not going to write all that well anyway.

Libbie
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm currently working on a book that requires me to stop and look up specific details of place or culture, so I have to keep the internets around while I am writing. However, I really need to keep myself under watch to be sure I'm only doing writing stuff online when it's writing time. :/

Margarita Skies
01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
My number one enemies, believe it or not, there are three of them: lack of computer time, Internet and TV.

jenga
01-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Webcomics are a mild case of distraction, I can pull myself away easily. But if I start up Minecraft? Oy... It can go on for hours...

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-28-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm currently working on a book that requires me to stop and look up specific details of place or culture, so I have to keep the internets around while I am writing. However, I really need to keep myself under watch to be sure I'm only doing writing stuff online when it's writing time. :/

Yep, me too. The pitfalls of the historical! But I adore my babies, so I just have to be disciplined.

But yes, it's difficult not to get caught on Facebook or checking e-mail!

amrose
01-29-2011, 01:06 AM
I do the longhand thing and I don't have an internet connection at home (besides the one on my phone) I know, shocking. Also don't have cable.

I get caught up reading when I should be writing and either playing Fable III (or whatever game I'm currently obsessing on) or watching my SO play Mass Effect.

COchick
01-29-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm on here, or playing some randomly stupid game. Just recently, I've rediscovered solitaire.

willietheshakes
01-29-2011, 01:53 AM
I masturbate.

(Another good reason for not writing in coffee shops.)

Callista Melaney
01-29-2011, 01:54 AM
I do the longhand thing and I don't have an internet connection at home (besides the one on my phone) I know, shocking. Also don't have cable.

I get caught up reading when I should be writing and either playing Fable III (or whatever game I'm currently obsessing on) or watching my SO play Mass Effect.

Ah, so many people mention writing longhand. The fact that I type faster than I write makes writing on the computer so much more appealing. Plus, my handwriting sucks.

And Fable III is totally awesome!

Callista Melaney
01-29-2011, 01:55 AM
I masturbate.

(Another good reason for not writing in coffee shops.)

I tried to "like" this for a second.

Snappy
01-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Twitter has become my new obsession. *hangs head in shame*

bettielee
01-29-2011, 02:20 AM
pretty much what I'm doing right now

Jamesaritchie
01-29-2011, 02:52 AM
The fact that I type faster than I write makes writing on the computer so much more appealing. !

That speed is a big thing I HATE about writing on computers. Faster isn't what I'm after.

As for not being able to read your own handwriting, well, that's another speed thing. Slow way down, draw the letters, and everything is suddenly legible.

amrose
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
And Fable III is totally awesome!

My customized hammer is freaking awesome.

I really want them to give us a workshop(s) for forging our own weapons/potions that we can sell or use in combat. I really really really want to be an alchemist with exploding catalyst potions so bad.

/OT

I should have been writing yesterday but I'm now playing Tales of Vesperia. Still not sure how I feel about the combat/party system.

EMaree
02-01-2011, 02:20 AM
RSS Feeds on Google Reader are my current obsession, but this forum is making speedy progress is joining my list of distractions.

Brindle MacWuff
02-01-2011, 02:26 AM
when between my usual missives, I have taken to wearing a top hat and cane, and cleansing the streets of Whitechapel.

Boston Steve
02-01-2011, 02:26 AM
My problem is editing, which I have to do on my laptop. Mostly I'm pretty good - I make myself edit for a couple of hours, then allow myself to visit AW whilst I have a cup of tea and a snack. Plus, when I'm editing I often have to look stuff up on the interwebz, like how far it really is from Richmond to Westminster. So no internet access is sometimes more of a distraction for me, especially if it's an excuse to go and flick through the non-fiction books on my shelves in search of information

About 30 minutes on the District Line. :tongue

Brindle MacWuff
02-01-2011, 02:29 AM
I used to commute that journey and it took a whole lot longer. Ah, progress.

scarletpeaches
02-01-2011, 02:31 AM
It's good to see you back posting on AW, Wuff.

How's that speccy git who looks after you?

Dr.Gonzo
02-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't really get distracted. Although, most of my writing takes place in my head away from my laptop. I'll have the laptop turned on, but I'll step away from it to think about what I'm about to write. If I try thinking whilst sat by my computer I tend to start writing before the scene or whatever has fully formed. So, my colleague, this twenty-year-old girl who sits next to me, she had me for Secret Santa last year and got me this... I suppose you'd call it a stress ball. It's a rubber boob with a realistic nipple that I've just about worn down with my thumb. I walk my apartment thinking, flicking the nipple, forming the scene in my head to the point where I have to sit and write it down.

It's like giving birth, I suppose. If I take what's in my head to full-term, I don't even need to push. No time for distractions when I'm dilated 12pts.

Ken
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
... cleaning, among other things. Always something to tidy. I find it to be a really good in-between activity. It's somewhat productive too. It's a good way of winding down too after work and whatnot. Suppose it's even slightly qualifies as exercise. Okay, that last one's a bit of a stretch ;-)

Brindle MacWuff
02-01-2011, 03:32 PM
It's good to see you back posting on AW, Wuff.

How's that speccy git who looks after you?

That speccy git is getting on my Cairny nerves. Not only thinks he a "wrytuhr" but also takes up the whole bloody bed. I was snoozing nicely when I got his bachoochie stuck in my face. So I sank my shinky black nails in his erse and he got the message. Well, i think he was saying something like that as he hit the floor.

*blows across his paw* The name's MacWuff. Brindle MacWuff.

elmoie
02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I read - telling myself it's all research and helps my writing so I don't feel too bad for procrastinating.

I also work - by that I mean do the work I'm paid to do (my full time job) when I previously assigned that time to writing. I'm not sure exactly why I do that, I much prefer writing, but I like it better when I don't have work hanging over my head.

scarletpeaches
02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
That speccy git is getting on my Cairny nerves. Not only thinks he a "wrytuhr" but also takes up the whole bloody bed. I was snoozing nicely when I got his bachoochie stuck in my face. So I sank my shinky black nails in his erse and he got the message. Well, i think he was saying something like that as he hit the floor.

*blows across his paw* The name's MacWuff. Brindle MacWuff.If ever an arse needed a seeing-to, his does--

Er, that sounded wrong, didn't it?

stormie
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Playing a game on bigfishgames.com Clears my mind and then I'm able to write more.

Or I'm here and procrastinating. But I count AW as a way to further my writing skills. Right.

EMaree
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
... cleaning, among other things. Always something to tidy.

That's a procrastination habit I'm jealous of! At most I'll decide to do some dishes or the laundry, I'd love it if I could convert all the hours I lose to internet surfing into housework.

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
*has a bad case of sausage envy*

I just got back from the UK. I don't ever want to hear about, see, or smell sausage again.

Jamesaritchie
02-02-2011, 12:50 AM
I just got back from the UK. I don't ever want to hear about, see, or smell sausage again.

But they have wonderful blood sausage over there.

Mr Flibble
02-02-2011, 01:05 AM

What's wrong with a nice bit o' sausage? *waggles eyebrows suggestively*

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
O/T #1

What's wrong with a nice bit o' sausage? *waggles eyebrows suggestively*

Nothing, but there's way too much of it. Come to think of it, pretty much all the food in Britain was pretty bad.

Fking brown sauce. F-U BROWN SAUCE!!!! WTF IS BROWN SAUCE!!!!!

O/T #2

Fable 3 is too easy. Get magic level 5, kill everything. I had 10 million gold at the end of the game, didn't lose a single person, and beat the final boss in like, 2 minutes. And it wasn't even that big/cool of a boss!

Dr.Gonzo
02-02-2011, 01:24 AM
But they have wonderful blood sausage over there.

I think we call that 'black pudding'.

Mr Flibble
02-02-2011, 01:27 AM
O/T #1

Nothing, but there's way too much of it. Come to think of it, pretty much all the food in Britain was pretty bad.

Fking brown sauce. F-U BROWN SAUCE!!!! WTF IS BROWN SAUCE!!!!!

An acquired taste is what it is. BTW, are you from the country that dropped wolrd-wide food standards by introducing MacD's? :D

You must have been eating in the wrong places. There's bad food, and there's f'ing excellent food.

Same as everywhere else.

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 01:31 AM
An acquired taste is what it is. BTW, are you from the country that dropped wolrd-wide food standards by introducing MacD's? :D

You must have been eating in the wrong places. There's bad food, and there's f'ing excellent food.

Same as everywhere else.

Well first off, I wouldn't eat McDonalds if you lined my family up and threatened to shoot them in the face one by one.

Secondly, the exchange rate between usd to sterlings is so horrible that to get "good" food would have probably cost several small fortunes.

British food, in and of itself, I think is just bland, heavy and tasteless. I had a shepherd's pie which was quite good, but thats Scottish, right?

I did find one good Italian restaurant, actually owned by an Italian, (which was amazing, it seems like Russians and eastern Bloc ethnic groups own half of london) and I ate there three days in a row.

I am lucky I suppose. I live in Northern California, and good food is very easy to find here. I'd have loved to eat at Gordon Ramsey's though.

Boston Steve
02-02-2011, 01:34 AM
British food, in and of itself, I think is just bland, heavy and tasteless. I had a shepherd's pie which was quite good, but thats Scottish, right?

Stereotype much? Your overgeneralization might have been somewhat close to the truth in the 1950s. It certainly isn't today.

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 02:03 AM
If ever an arse needed a seeing-to, his does--

Er, that sounded wrong, didn't it?

Oh, he think's he very much the ladies' man, but I think he's as camp as a row of tents.

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Stereotype much? Your overgeneralization might have been somewhat close to the truth in the 1950s. It certainly isn't today.

I'm not stereotyping, I just got back from there. I'm just relaying my experience. I love all types of food. Just didn't have much good food in Britain. I'm sure that there are great places to eat, like everywhere else, I just didn't find them.

Maybe on my next visit.

ETA: I loooooooved Britain otherwise. I am just a big food nut. Also, my favorite cuisines are Southern Italian and French. British doesn't really jive with those.

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 02:10 AM
True about the food. Sure, there's plenty muck about, like any country. I once ate at Quick's in Paris. It was execrable. (their version of MacD's) but the grub in Scotland has changed a lot. instead of exporting all out good stuff, we're actually starting to eat it. Mussels, lobster, shellfish, smoked haddock poached in milk, highland steak, and very meaty, tasty sausages. Mind you, if we could deep fry soup, we probably would.

I'm partial to a roast chicken, stuffed with lardons, and sprinkled with thyme, served with a celeriac and tattie pureť. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 02:12 AM

LUCIDZFL!!!! That's me on my holidays! I heard a ship full of biscuits had gone down in the Tay!!!

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/customavatars/avatar32873_3.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=32873)

Mr Flibble
02-02-2011, 02:12 AM
When you're a tourist it's hard to know what are the good places to eat. I had the same when we went to the States, but I wouldn't say their food was bad. I would just say...I didn't know where to find the good stuff. Except steak, you do a good steak.

Just because you couldn't find any/lucked out doesn't mean there isn't good food here. It means you lucked out.

As this top French chef (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8260319/Top-French-chef-declares-London-capital-of-cuisine.html)points out...

I'm partial to a roast chicken, stuffed with lardons, and sprinkled with thyme, served with a celeriac and tattie pureť. Grrrrrrrr!!!!! I'm hungry now...

EETA:
ETA: I loooooooved Britain otherwise. I am just a big food nut. Also, my favorite cuisines are Southern Italian and French. British doesn't really jive with those. You kid right? Italian and French restaurants are all over the place! Jeez, my local pub does a couple of fab Italian dishes.

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 02:22 AM
When you're a tourist it's hard to know what are the good places to eat. I had the same when we went to the States, but I wouldn't say their food was bad. I would just say...I didn't know where to find the good stuff. Except steak, you do a good steak.

Just because you couldn't find any/lucked out doesn't mean there isn't good food here. It means you lucked out.

As this top French chef (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8260319/Top-French-chef-declares-London-capital-of-cuisine.html)points out...

I'm hungry now...

Oh I'm with you. Keep in mind a lot of my dining was done in London. One of the problems with London is that there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many chain restaurants. If I see a Bella Italia, a "Great British Pub Food" style restaurant, or any of the other dozen chain restaurants, I'll scream.

The chains are so bad in London, at one point, I was literally standing in the middle of the street and saw three of the same restaurant in three different directions!!!!! Starbucks has NOTHING on that.

It was only when I went off the beaten path that I found good stuff. Borough had some really cool places, and that market, my gods!

The italian restaurant I liked was across from Victoria station in Belgravia. I tried like everything on the menu.

Also, I did eat at one restaurant that purported to have decent food. I got a sirloin steak with bearnaise sauce and roasted potatoes with mussels in a garlic cream sauce as an appetizer.

I have never seen mussels look so sickly. They were the size of dimes and the sauce was quite literally heavy cream with a few chunks of minced garlic floating around, completely flavorless.

The steak, sirloin, not top sirloin, so who knows, was cooked well enough but had almost no flavor. And the bearnaise sauce, something I personally make from scratch and take great pride in, tasted like butter with flecks of dried tarragon sprigs. That was the best non ethnic food I had while I was there, and I wouldn't even put it on par with an Outback steakhouse here in the states :(

One thing i noticed is the extreme lack of good cuts of meat. There is almost no filet mignon. Tons of rump steak, occasional flank steak (which can be good if done right) but no New york strip style meats or anything else. Also, the fish is either unidentified, cod, or maybe hallibut. Which is truly bizarre to me, because I know for a fact, that at the markets you can get amazing stuff like monkfish and giant squid.

So I realize I didn't have a lot of time, but I saw that there were good and interesting ingredients, it just seems that many of the restaurants choose not to use them.

Maybe when I come back next year, you guys can tell me where to go :)

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Too true, anybody needs any tips for Edinburgh, let me know. I had some really excellent grub in San Francisco, in various restaurants. Hotdogs were very good too, but the burgers were disspapointing. Everything seemed to be heavily seasoned though. And the wine was excellent too.

But you go get stuffed on the exchange rate when you come to Blighty.

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 02:24 AM
EETA: You kid right? Italian and French restaurants are all over the place! Jeez, my local pub does a couple of fab Italian dishes.

I meant British cuisine, not Britain in and of itself, or British restaurants. If it serves French food, its French food, not British ;)

As an aside, where is this pub?

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Too true, anybody needs any tips for Edinburgh, let me know. I had some really excellent grub in San Francisco, in various restaurants. Hotdogs were very good too, but the burgers were disspapointing. Everything seemed to be heavily seasoned though. And the wine was excellent too.

But you go get stuffed on the exchange rate when you come to Blighty.

San Francisco has amazing food. My wife celebrate our anniversary at Hubert Keller's Fleur De Lys every year.

Fleur De Lys website (http://www.fleurdelyssf.com/) (I dare you to click on the menu) Last year they had Foie Gras sliders on Brioche buns that may have been the tastiest thing god never invented himself.

I live in the mountains north east of San Fran. Up where I live, there is a huge organic, locally grown, locally raised movement. The restaurants here take enormous pride in their food, and there are no chain restaurants. (There are, but you have to drive to a small town where ALL the chains are, its hillarious)

In my county alone, there are 18 wineries. And I live about an hour from Sonoma and Napa valley. So yeah, I'm a snob :D

Mr Flibble
02-02-2011, 02:29 AM
One thing i noticed is the extreme lack of good cuts of meat. There is almost no filet mignon. Tons of rump steak, occasional flank steak (which can be good if done right) but no New york strip style meats or anything else. Lol filet mignon? Sounds too French (*Snortle*) and normally that's pork, right? We just call it-with beef- tenderloin or fillet. WTF is a New York strip? *googles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef)* We just call it different names dude.

Next time you come over, I'll take you on a gastro tour. You will drown in your own drool.

As an aside, where is this pub? I repped ya. And I'll take you there next time.

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I meant British cuisine, not Britain in and of itself, or British restaurants. If it serves French food, its French food, not British ;)

As an aside, where is this pub?

True about the steak, I've had that problem in London too, but it's because the chains buy really crap cheap steak. it's probbaly not even British. Even if it does say it on the menu!

Of a Saturday, I do enjoy a thick rib-eye steak, or sirloin, for me and my idiot owner. Butcher cuts it for us, and a wee filet for her ladyship.

Flash fried in butter, heavily dusted with cracked black pepper, with french fries and a glass of red. WOOF!

and then a two hour kip to recover.

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 02:34 AM
San Francisco has amazing food. My wife celebrate our anniversary at Hubert Keller's Fleur De Lys every year.

Fleur De Lys website (http://www.fleurdelyssf.com/) (I dare you to click on the menu) Last year they had Foie Gras sliders on Brioche buns that may have been the tastiest thing god never invented himself.

I live in the mountains north east of San Fran. Up where I live, there is a huge organic, locally grown, locally raised movement. The restaurants here take enormous pride in their food, and there are no chain restaurants. (There are, but you have to drive to a small town where ALL the chains are, its hillarious)

In my county alone, there are 18 wineries. And I live about an hour from Sonoma and Napa valley. So yeah, I'm a snob :D

Aye, Edinburgh's like that, but without the wine. All fur coats and no knickers.

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 02:37 AM
San Fran food - it was superb - the stuff we had that was a bit dodgy was on the road. We hired a soft top (convertible) and went up and down California. Superb holiday. Food, wine, scenery, people - unforgettable.

and we came back to Edinburgh it was pissing of rain and a cloud ceiling of ten feet. Welcome back to Scotland, ya bastard!

Boston Steve
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Oh I'm with you. Keep in mind a lot of my dining was done in London. One of the problems with London is that there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many chain restaurants. If I see a Bella Italia, a "Great British Pub Food" style restaurant, or any of the other dozen chain restaurants, I'll scream.

The chains are so bad in London, at one point, I was literally standing in the middle of the street and saw three of the same restaurant in three different directions!!!!! Starbucks has NOTHING on that.

It was only when I went off the beaten path that I found good stuff. Borough had some really cool places, and that market, my gods!

The italian restaurant I liked was across from Victoria station in Belgravia. I tried like everything on the menu.

Also, I did eat at one restaurant that purported to have decent food. I got a sirloin steak with bearnaise sauce and roasted potatoes with mussels in a garlic cream sauce as an appetizer.

I have never seen mussels look so sickly. They were the size of dimes and the sauce was quite literally heavy cream with a few chunks of minced garlic floating around, completely flavorless.

The steak, sirloin, not top sirloin, so who knows, was cooked well enough but had almost no flavor. And the bearnaise sauce, something I personally make from scratch and take great pride in, tasted like butter with flecks of dried tarragon sprigs. That was the best non ethnic food I had while I was there, and I wouldn't even put it on par with an Outback steakhouse here in the states :(

One thing i noticed is the extreme lack of good cuts of meat. There is almost no filet mignon. Tons of rump steak, occasional flank steak (which can be good if done right) but no New york strip style meats or anything else. Also, the fish is either unidentified, cod, or maybe hallibut. Which is truly bizarre to me, because I know for a fact, that at the markets you can get amazing stuff like monkfish and giant squid.

So I realize I didn't have a lot of time, but I saw that there were good and interesting ingredients, it just seems that many of the restaurants choose not to use them.

Maybe when I come back next year, you guys can tell me where to go :)

Did you do any research to try and find good places to eat? Pay any attention to Michelin stars, or other rating systems? Or were your dining choices dictated by convenience and flying by the seat of your pants? As IRU says, it's very easy to be led astray that way.

A Briton in the US could very easily reach the same conclusion about American food, if unarmed with a Zagat's or the like, and after sampling the various chain restaurants that were convenient to his/her hotel. Applebees, Outback and Bob Evans, oh my!

Mr Flibble
02-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Aye, Edinburgh's like that, but without the wine. All fur coats and no knickers.

But..but you have 90 shilling beer! Like drinking liquid velvet.....And the little silver darlings, all done in oatmeal. And venison *droooooooooool* and haggis and, and, and....oh bloody hell Aberdeen Angus and square sausage and, and Cullen Skink and the best damn kippers and, and...

Ack, I just dribbled on my keyboard!

ETA:
A Briton in the US could very easily reach the same conclusion about American food, if unarmed with a Zagat's or the like, and after sampling the various chain restaurants that were convenient to his/her hotel. Indeed, all I could say about US food from what my uneducated self saw was a) steaks are good and b) my poor kids' faces! When they whispered 'Do I have to eat ALL of it!' and we whispered back 'Not this time'. I'm sure there was great food there, we just didn't knwo where it was.

Also, factor in that food in general is more expensive here. You ain't gonna see 'All you can eat for a fiver', especially not in London! Food costs, and you get what you pay for. While there are places that are cheap and good, you need to ferret them out.

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Did you do any research to try and find good places to eat? Pay any attention to Michelin stars, or other rating systems? Or were your dining choices dictated by convenience and flying by the seat of your pants? As IRU says, it's very easy to be led astray that way.

Well, it may be my fault, or like you said it may be luck. When I travel, I don't make destinations within the city. IE: I don't plan out and say, today, we will go see Picadilly, then eat at XYZ then take this tour.

I like to walk, and explore, and try food at restaurants that look good. Typically, I've had fine results. I've eaten all over the world, and never really had a problem finding good, interesting food. I generally will find ONE good restaurant that I want to try, and research it, and otherwise just try places that are not chains or seem to have an interesting menu. I also try hard to enjoy the local cuisine.

IE: I never ate at a Chinese restaurant in Paris. I didn't eat Italian in Malaysia, etc. So, I tried (what seemed to be) traditional British restaurants. Like you said maybe I just had bad luck. It was bound to happen sometime.

A Briton in the US could very easily reach the same conclusion about American food, if unarmed with a Zagat's or the like, and after sampling the various chain restaurants that were convenient to his/her hotel. Applebees, Outback and Bob Evans, oh my!

I don't eat at chain restaurants in any country.

Mr Flibble
02-02-2011, 04:26 AM
So you know a load of Brits here and you never thought to ask?

PS Some of the best food I ever ate was a Polish restaurant in Paris. Not trying it out just because it isn't the 'mother country' kinda restricts you. Also our local Thai place is phenomenal. So very very good.

Brindle MacWuff
02-02-2011, 07:59 PM
mmmm. I had sqaure sausage on a roll for brekkie today....mmmmmm!!!! So that's it, when I'm not writing, I'm eating! bring on the ortolans!

lucidzfl
02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
On a side note, I found out I'm going back to Vegas again in two months. I think I'm going to try L'Atelier by Joel Robuchon! :D

Brindle MacWuff
02-03-2011, 01:17 AM
On a side note, I found out I'm going back to Vegas again in two months. I think I'm going to try L'Atelier by Joel Robuchon! :D

mmm... let us know how it goes. A Cairn's gotta eat!

lucidzfl
02-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Robuchon is my very favorite chef. I even have his cookbook.

scarletpeaches
02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
You're back! I thought you were dead.

Brindle MacWuff
02-05-2011, 02:22 AM
You're back! I thought you were dead.

Dearest SP, which Cairn were you refering to? Scuba-Cairn or Trying-to-be-cute-to-get-chocolate-from-that-speccy-git-Cairn?

lucidzfl
02-05-2011, 03:01 AM
I'd hoped she was talking about me!

scarletpeaches
02-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Scuba-Cairn.

I say 'thought' he was dead. I meant 'hoped'.

lucidzfl
02-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Scuba-Cairn.

I say 'thought' he was dead. I meant 'hoped'.

PFFF. Its a whole new year. You can stop pretending you don't like me! I'm here to stay. (Until I leave for a year again. God I hope that never happens. *flicks off 2010* )

scarletpeaches
02-05-2011, 03:56 AM
You hold the dubious honour of being on the list of AWers who post shit that makes me think, "What did he just say?"

Not many people elicit that reaction from the ScarPea.

lucidzfl
02-05-2011, 04:04 AM
lol. I'm older and wiser and.. Eh nevermind. However, if nothing else, I try to entertain!

At my heart I'm a nice guy! Still married and everything!