PDA

View Full Version : Looking to beta/beta adventure/fantasy

francist44
01-28-2011, 12:59 AM
To be a little clearer, Iím looking for another writer to co-beta with, you read my manuscript and I read yours. While I stated adventure/fantasy if you want, I can help with other genres whereas I also have a; Crime novel -WIP 1/3 done, YA novella - needs editing, Sci-fi space novel Ė needs editing, and hate to admit it, one Erotic short story, which also needs editing and maybe a shot of penicillin. The work I want to beta is titled Poisoned Reign -203,000 words. It can be divided into 2 volumes if needed. PR should appeal to both the adventure lover and the fantasy buff.

What I bring to the table:
First off, I am a friendly and interesting guy Ėbeen told that anyway- and Iím not out to inflae my ego by degrading your work.
My forte would have to be my strong creativity. Thus, I can help with your; plots, dialogue, characters and so forth. Be warned, you will receive honest/candid feedback, and I want the same in return. Iíve never encountered writerís-block (damn, I hope that wonít change now that Iíve said it aloud), if you get stuck, I should be of some use. Iím also very technical: I build racing engines, weld, fabricate/design equipment and systems and more, which be can helpful if youíre doing a sci-fi. I am also a bit of an artist, draw, paint, sculpt etc.

What I need:
As you can see from the above, my grammar and punctuation need help. With respect to that fact, I really need someone strong in that department.

Also, Iíd like to work with you on our manuscripts chapter by chapter.

LawlessLara
01-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey I am pretty good with grammar, I use the classic 'read it and where the feels good to stop', pop in some punctuation! I do have a WIP but I feel it needs some more words before I can ditch it or run with it.

I find that beta-ing and reviewing others work helps me with my own work.

I used to be a huge fantasy fan, less so now, but a good fantasy book can still get me going.

PM me if you're interested.
Lara

JerseyGirl1962
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
What I bring to the table:
First off, I am a friendly and interesting guy Ėbeen told that anyway- and Iím not out to inflae my ego by degrading your work.
My forte would have to be my strong creativity. Thus, I can help with your; plots, dialogue, characters and so forth. Be warned, you will receive honest/candid feedback, and I want the same in return. Iíve never encountered writerís-block (damn, I hope that wonít change now that Iíve said it aloud), if you get stuck, I should be of some use. Iím also very technical: I build racing engines, weld, fabricate/design equipment and systems and more, which be can helpful if youíre doing a sci-fi. I am also a bit of an artist, draw, paint, sculpt etc.

What I need:
As you can see from the above, my grammar and punctuation need help. With respect to that fact, I really need someone strong in that department.

Also, Iíd like to work with you on our manuscripts chapter by chapter.

Grammar and punctuation are my middle names (yeah, I've got two, lol). :) My WIP (which is either historical fiction with a fantasy bent or historical fantasy, depending on how I feel ;)) isn't finished as yet, so you won't be able to beta/crit that - yet.

Just a little background on me, to see if you think I'm a good fit. I've been working as an administrative assistant for over 10 years (that's where the grammar, spelling, and punctuation stuff comes in), and I'm currently in a temp job where there's a lot of downtime.

I LOVE fantasy, been readin' the stuff for quite some time (our late Malamute/Husky mix was named Frodo, while the Mal in my avatar is named Sam - short for Samwise - so you know where I'm coming from :tongue). Altho I have a few ideas for stories that might be more in the romance or women's fic genres, I prefer to write fantasy. My one short story sale (several years ago) was pure fantasy, nothing historical attached to it.

If you think I'd be a good fit, please PM me.

Nancy

francist44
01-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Lara, Jersey, thanks for offers, you both sound like great fits. Thing is I may have someone already that also seems to be great fit. We just exchanged works today for a look-see, to see we are really a match. If not I surely keep the both of you in mind. Now if either of of you are in the mood to simply read a fantasy, you're most welcome to read Poisoned Reign. Just let me know.
Ah, only be young again and ladies making offers.... Sorry about that,
Thanks again
Franics

francist44
01-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Hi, Francis here again. Well it didnt work out with the other beta bud, still interested?

Nick Blaze
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm interested, though grammar is not my fortitude. I write epic fantasy/science fiction, generally, though I do wish to write historical fiction some day. While I do have one thriller novel, it is a fantasy as its base.

For more about me, I write deep plots, but sometimes get overzealous with purple prose. I have also never beta'd before, but I will be dedicated and help you out every step of the way. I do not sugar coat critiques, because I know that will never let anyone develop. Due to my terrible middle school, I've had some difficulty with tenses (particularly in speech) but I can help out with grammar here and there.

I have been a martial artist for 14 years, with a focus on learning tradition and culture, as well as killing efficiently. I often read novels and scoff at what hurt a particular character, or how one died or didn't die. Even so, if the person didn't die because a stab through the heart actually missed by two atom lengths.... who am I to judge?

I'm a manager at a Walmart Supercenter, but even salaried members of management can't write a legitimate email to save their lives. I thread on the unique, and only accept clichťs if they're done well or a new twist is added.

LivingDork
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
If you are still looking for someone, I think we might work well together. I have a degree in English, so I can and will gladly read your work for errors. In that case, going chapter by chapter would work really well.
I've got a zombie novel, which is YA but NOT romance. It is more horror/survival realism. Haha. Zombie Realism should be its own sub-genre. I'm looking for feedback on content, as all of my readers thus far have been
A. Personal friends
and therefore
B. VERY Biased
and therefore
C. Completely unhelpful
If you're interested, shot me a PM. :)