CWA Debut Dagger and querying agents

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've entered my first novella into the above competition. But I won't know if it's reached the shortlist until May. So...

Is it bad etiquette to send the story out to agents/publishers before I hear about the competition?

I'm new to this stuff.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
No. You can submit as you wish. Don't mention the contest in the query though. Being entered -- or even on the short list -- doesn't really mean anything.

Roger_Cornwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cornwellinternet.co.uk
No. You can submit as you wish. Don't mention the contest in the query though. Being entered -- or even on the short list -- doesn't really mean anything.
You're half-right: being entered simply means you have written your opening and synopsis (not easy, I know), filled in the form and paid the £25 entry fee.

But being shortlisted is a considerable achievement. Several shortlisted authors (e.g. Louise Penny, Belinda Bauer) have gone on to greater success than the person who won that year. Read this article by leading agent Jane Gregory to find out how it really works.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mirandashell,

I'm in a similar situation, and I'm submitting like mad. I wouldn't mention the competition in your query, as it's only going to be relevant if you were short-listed or won.

rainsmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So why comment on something you now say you know little about?
Because I do know the answer to the question she asked, which was that it's fine to begin submitting the piece. I added about the contest because in the US the vast majority of contests are not viewed as highly.

I accepted your correction gracefully. Please don't be an ass. It's not welcome on this board.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I shall start submitting. Once I've worked out who to submit to......

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'll join everyone else and say that it's fine to continue to submit: but if you do accept an offer to publish you must withdraw your ms from the competition immediately.

So why comment on something you now say you know little about

Welcome to AW, Roger. As you're a newcomer I'm going to cut you some slack now and not slap your wrists for that: we have one core rule here which goes like this:

Respect your fellow writer.

This doesn't mean you can't debate or disagree; only that you have to do so with thought and care, and not with rudeness or aggression. If you haven't already done so then please read our Newbie Guide before you go any further.

MLBuckers

Registered
Reaction score
In Roger's defence - and I'm a newbie here too, so please cut me some slack too - I think he is simply anxious that people aren't given the wrong impression about the competition. It's my understanding he runs the website for the Crime Writers' Association that runs the Debut Dagger competition.

pdblake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pdblakeauthor.wordpress.com
In Roger's defence - and I'm a newbie here too, so please cut me some slack too - I think he is simply anxious that people aren't given the wrong impression about the competition. It's my understanding he runs the website for the Crime Writers' Association that runs the Debut Dagger competition.

And he's just done wonders for it's reputation.

Saying that, until I read this I'd never heard of it.

rainsmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have no objection to his correction about the contest. That was a perfectly proper post. This, however, was completely uncalled for:

So why comment on something you now say you know little about?
Rule number one on AW is respect your fellow writer. That comment was rude and disrespectful, and it had nothing to do with the contest.