The Dashing! The Daring! The Fly-By-The-Seat-Of-Your-Pants People!

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Every once in a while, I get crazy.

I think that everyone else in the universe is organized, know exactly what they want to do, have just five hobbies and they space out those hobbies evenly throughout the week so that by the end of the month, there is some real progress.

And I think that I can be one of those people. :D

So I scourer the internet and the library and bookstore for books on how to organize the chaos. Time tables, to do lists, file cabinets, the works.

I enjoy the books, but I think in my head, it's fiction. It's a dream to be so organized.

And then after the organization-furry has faded, I'm left with how I normally do things.

I've 20-billion things I want to do in this life, and some I tried and stopped because it wasn't as fun as I thought. Some I try, stop, try again, stop, take a course, stop for years, pick it up and realize I'm no Picasso, watch a YouTube video on how to do it, try, stop, try. Some I just learn about, think it's so awesome and then forget about it until the next time I hear someone else did it, and think, "I could do that if I only had the time/resources."

And that's most of the things I do.

I'll get obsessions. Temporary ones. Like Chinese cooking. I'll drop everything for these obsessions and spend hours researching. And then I drop it when I am just picking up the gist, incorporating what I learned occasionally by picking it up again some night when I'm in the mood.

I suck at schedules and agendas and using those sometimes-irresistible black books. I buy the stupid things and then fill out some of the pages, but then I'll leave it at home or never open it up for months. I don't have time for it.

I've had to learn to accept that chaos is the only working nature in my life. Don't get me wrong, my house isn't messy. My desk is cluttered with the projects and books and stacks of things I'll clean out once in a while. That my to do lists get ignored for a reason. My best lists are my grocery store lists, I manage to stick to those, somewhat.

I think I feel better about it when I realize not everyone has an organized person inside waiting to spring forth, if only I find the right Excel spreadsheet.

Anyone else unable to keep up with the organizers and work better on whim-guidance?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of organised... except that I managed to lose an entire notebook full of novel outlines. And I have about 10 things all vying for my attention all at the same time...

The funny thing is, if I had my own place and enough money to really pursue all these ambitions, I'd probably still not get much done. I have fantasies that I'd spend an entire day being creative... those fantasies last about as long as it takes me to remember my extensive DVD collection.

:)

Oh, and I've never been able to use a diary. Even in High School where diaries were compulsory, I'd keep all my homework listed in my head until the end of the week when my home room teacher had to sign my diary for the week. Then I'd madly write down all the stuff I had already done. Since then, I've tried using a diary, but it never gets used.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I love my diary. Seriously, we're like best friends.

My iphone is my actual soulmate, but my paper diary is my bestest friend.

I have a coloured flag system. And stuff. Yup, I'm a total Diary Nazi :)

I'm still not 150% organised, but it helps!

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I used to open a diary, write five pages of stuff, and then shut it and never look at it again. ;)

Maybe it's because I can't read my own handwriting, anyway.

I LOVE Office Depot. I just know I won't use half the stuff in there.

But I'll pick up a box, so I can pile it on my other boxes of things to file, later.

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
I always dream of being organized. Every time my roommate will hand me a planner to help me get organized, I always end up losing it somewhere in my room. It's just not that easy for me to keep everything in check. The only thing I can do is leave something somewhere and pray to Mother Nature that I'll find it in the morning.

Occasionally I'll try and separate my work into different folders, but that always turns into disaster since whenever I'm in a hurry I just stick the paper in some random folder.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use the Post-It note method. Notes on fridge, notes in my wallet, notes dangling from the bottom of my monitor, notes stuck to the backs of my children, notes on the sunvisor in my crusty minivan. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. Sometimes.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I love Post-Its.

I write my grocery lists on them and then stick them to my wallet. :)

That's the extent of my usage.

Somehow I just remember homework and work I have to do. Maybe not perfectly but I do remember.

Weird!

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a buyer and was insanely busy. Eventually, I scrapped all my Office Depot organizers and just put everything in one big pile. New Release books, catalog reorders, returns, accounting requests, drop-ships, resumes...everything. I would put new stuff at the bottom of the pile and work from the top. If someone called, I would dig out their crap and put it on top. Unless they were a dick about it, then I'd put it on the bottom. And sometimes I'd flip the pile over, just for sport.

I only use post-it notes for passwords so I can stick them on my monitor. The I.T. guys love that!

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
oh, don't get me started on post its. I love them. I have all the different colours and shapes of the rainbow!

Even better than post its? MINI post its! *dies*

I have these ones:

6a00e5501f90768834013486da9934970c-pi

and this is my actual diary:
photo-6.jpg

6a00e5501f9076883401348825a257970c-pi

lol, it's a bit more like a scrap book, I guess. I keep ticket stubs and collect business cards to stick in. I have every year from 2001 or 2002.

This year i made my own as an excel file, printed it out, and got it bound. I luuurve it. Yes, I know I'm lame.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I admire your gusto, but can't say I'd ever do something like that.

I probably should do something like that, but I doubt I will...

Instead, I'll keep using my system of:

Appointment reminders on one side of the bookcase.
Important documents on a lower shelf.
Business cards and catalogues in a pile on the floor.

Every so often I'll go through my wallet and the pile on the floor, and I amaze myself at how much crap I've thought I needed to keep, but never used, and will just throw out.

I could stand to be more organised, I guess, if only for the cleanliness of my room.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and then there are the notebooks! None of them are full, but I've got close to a dozen of them, for things ranging from a journal, to a song journal, to a song notebook, to 3 notebooks with novel stuff in it, to a physics notebook... and a few others besides.

Is it any wonder I lost one of my notebooks?

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
You'd love my version of shopping lists: I just peel the labels off of whatever I run out of and fold them up with my cash so I see them before I leave the store. A $20, a $10, a $5, a Folgers label.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Gugland, that's the awesomest idea ever. :)

I'm jealous of people who can keep track of things in a diary or notebook. I have notebooks for school for taking notes, but I bet by the end of the semester I'll be using scraps of paper and the notes bury themselves in my bag, only to be taken out a month after school is over.

I LOVE the pile idea. I am going to start that. Usually everything I work on tries to spread out over my desk. One pile might actually work. ;)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I keep schedules for five people in my head, 'cause that's the only place I won't lose them! And before you comment, I'm the one in my family least likely to forget an appointment or be late for anything. :D

Though I do now have a calendar on my desk that's helping me keep track of stuff, mainly because I have to report my work hours to the unemployment people (I work occasional jobs, nothing permanent).

As for paper, I have years and years and years worth of stuff that I need to go through and mostly pitch. It's on my desk, on the floor, in boxes in my closets and filling the basement. Ugh!

I started during the summer to get the place cleaned up, and my main living areas are mostly functional, but organizing the paperwork seems to be totally beyond me!

As for diaries, I've pretty much given them up, because if I read through the almost thirty years of stuff I've written in them, they all seem to be similar. I'm broke, I'm so far behind in the housework... Yada, yada, yada. So I'll keep diaries to record special stuff (like a trip), but not for a day-to-day basis kind of thing.