An etiquette question - re: changing agents

qwertboy

It pays to be unimaginative
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for this resource...

I pitched a book, Agents A, B, and C all responded quickly.

1. A was very enthusiastic about it and has B+ credentials. Wanted to move quickly, it is a time sensitive topic.
  2. B was slow with A+ credentials but did not specifically offer representation. B did like the work, however.
  3. C was newer, super polite, and stepped aside.
  4. I signed with A, there were aggressive plans, but soon after, once the paper was mailed, the enthusiasm seemed to wane.

After working with A (still prior to submission), the red flags are starting to add up, and this may not be as good a long-term relationship as it originally looked it would be.

Question: Is it appropriate or even respectable to contact B & C again and say that I may have made the wrong choice?

Would the correct thing to do be to sever the relationship with A first, then make the call? (If this were another kind of vendor, the client can always solicit other bids, but it just doesn't seem like the correct thing here.)

Or, perhaps, it's done all the time, we just don't hear about it?

Sorry to be so new....

Thanks!

QB

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. But first look at your contract, and see what rights and obligations you have once you sever. Then, if you still want to sever, do it according to contract terms. Do no contact any other agent until you have done so.

But, before you sever, consider talking to your agent about your concerns, to make sure they are legitimate concerns. If the concerns are over attention and excitement especially, it may be that your expectations are off or the communications have broken down. Of course, if there are other red flags that no talking can solve, then review your contract for how to sever the relationship and what happens then.

~suki

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Are you sure they are really red flags, or is it nothing more than having gone past the honeymoon phase? Even the truest of true love fades a little over time and you start to realize that this is going to take a lot of work.

Also, grass is greener syndrome, and all of that.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Communication is the key to any relationship- whether personal or professional. Have you voiced your concerns to your agent and given her a chance to work things out with you? Have you questioned her about the "red flags" to make sure you are seeing things they way they really are?
Even if you decide to go elsewhere, the exercise communication will help you develop better skills. I'd hate to see you get a bad reputation when the situation could have been worked out with a few emails or a telephone call.

qwertboy

It pays to be unimaginative
Registered
Reaction score
This is excellent advice, and I'm very glad to have asked. I sure won't do anything about another agent until the current situation is resolved.

Thanks very much. I have much to think about.