PDA

View Full Version : Shot in the Leg

rosewood
01-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I have a scene where a character gets shot in the leg (main artery) and is grazed by a bullet on the side of her head. I have two questions about this. What would a doctor/nurse (this takes place near a medical facility in a refugee camp) on the scene do first? I have the doctor lifting the leg to look at the wound but that doesn't seem right. Also, what kind of symptoms would the character have in regards to the bullet grazing the side of her head? I have her going temporarily deaf (maybe less than a minute) but again, I wasn't sure if that would happen.

lbender
01-27-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm a vet. I don't treat people. But medically, the first thing you do is stop the bleeding. With a main artery severed, your character will bleed out and die in a matter of minutes. You'd lean down to look, maybe take a quick glance at the head, but immediately clamp down on the leg. What follows would depend a lot on what and who is available. One possibility would be to have others lift and carry the patient to that medical facility while the doctor holds onto the leg until they're ready to close the bleed.