Another submission question: how much info to include if you've met the agent in person?

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to send my pages and synopsis to an agent I met at a conference. Is it necessary to write out a full query letter if you've met someone in person? I was planning to send this:

Dear Ms. Agent:

It was very nice to meet you last weekend at the Writer's Digest conference. Thank you for taking the time to discuss my 81,000 word women's fiction novel, TITLE. Per your request, I am sending the first 20 pages and a two-page synopsis. I'd be happy to send the full manuscript if you are interested. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Is that enough info, or should I send a full query letter with something like that as the starting para? I'm afraid of being repetitive as most of what I'd say in a query is in my synopsis. Also should the pages come first or the synopsis in the body of the email?

Thank you!

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I think what you've got is fine, if it's to accompany a requested partial - that's basically what I sent to a publisher I met at a convention.

Dear Ms. Agent:

It was very nice to meet you last weekend at the Writer's Digest conference. Thank you for taking the time to discuss my 81,000 word women's fiction novel, TITLE. Per your request, I am sending the first 20 pages and a two-page synopsis. I'd be happy to send the full manuscript if you are interested. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I would cut that fourth sentence, because of course you'd be happy to send the full ms!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to send my pages and synopsis to an agent I met at a conference. Is it necessary to write out a full query letter if you've met someone in person? I was planning to send this:

Dear Ms. Agent:

Is that enough info, or should I send a full query letter with something like that as the starting para? I'm afraid of being repetitive as most of what I'd say in a query is in my synopsis. Also should the pages come first or the synopsis in the body of the email?

Thank you!

You need to get rid of the phrase "fiction novel". All novels are fiction, and that particular phrase sends chills down the back.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I think in this case it's women's-fiction novel, not women's fiction-novel. (Hyphens for clarity, not correctness.) Kinda like you can have a science fiction novel.

I agree that rephrasing it might work better to avoid this misinterpretation, but I'm not quite what this could be rephrased to without making it sound clunky.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think in this case it's women's-fiction novel, not women's fiction-novel. (Hyphens for clarity, not correctness.) Kinda like you can have a science fiction novel.

I agree that rephrasing it might work better to avoid this misinterpretation, but I'm not quite what this could be rephrased to without making it sound clunky.

The trouble with "women's fiction" is that it can mean anything, or nothing. There's almost always a better classification or description.

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I sent the letter that I posted, along with an additional description paragraph about the novel (not lifted from the synopsis) so we will see.

Btw, the agents at the conference all referred to the genre as such (women's fiction) when mentioning what they represent. Yes, it's broad, but my novel doesn't fall into any other category. It's not a thriller, romance, literary, historical, chick lit, sci fi... you get the drift :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Btw, the agents at the conference all referred to the genre as such (women's fiction) when mentioning what they represent. Yes, it's broad, but my novel doesn't fall into any other category. It's not a thriller, romance, literary, historical, chick lit, sci fi... you get the drift :)

That was my feeling too - I've seen it on a lot of agents' listings*. Basically it means "non-genre, mainstream fiction with a distinctly female market slant". Not something I would read, or write, in a million years, but (to quote Slartibartfast) I believe it's very popular nowadays :)

* "represents women's fiction" regularly appears alongside "no fantasy or SF" - so these are not agents I am likely to have any dealings with

Moonbase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaufen-ist-toll.de
<offtopic>
Since in submission travel, all numbers are awful and near the Infinite Improbability, dealing with agents is often like Bistro Maths. I prefer the fjords. And don’t forget to bring your towel.
</offtopic>

Sorry, couldn’t resist when reading »Slartibartfast« above … :D