"Full MS is available upon request" -- include?

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed in Query Hell that most commenters suggest omitting this line from all queries. It's admittedly a waste of space, and the fact that you're querying at all should imply that the MS is complete and ready for submission if requested. BUT, I've also read a bunch of the usual agent blogs (Query Shark, BookEnds, Bransford, Etc.), and they all seem to include this in their "anatomy of a query letter" posts. Is it really a waste of space that, as one critique put it, flags you as a newbie? Or is it a necessary addition that shows you've done your homework and confirms the MS is ready to go?

Thank you!

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people use it, I think it's pointless. The way I see it is, of course you have the full manuscript available, why else would you be querying?

It's not like if you leave it out, an agent will say "I like your query, but I wonder if you have the manuscript ready...." Because, it's obvious that you do.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Agreed. I'd leave it out. If you really want to point out that your MS is complete, there are subtler ways to do it -- eg. "My book FANCY-PANTS TITLE is complete at 80000 words."

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
That's true. I remember one agent saying they specifically liked the line because it showed you even *knew* the MS had to be complete to query. I sometimes forget how often agents get queries from people who don't do their homework first, so they probably like cues that confirm you know what you're doing. Then again, the format/content in your query letter will probably show them whether or not you're legit, anyway.

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
@Corinne That's a great point, and I do have a similar line in my query. I'll leave it out. if nothing else, it's nice to get those seven words back :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Use it or not, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference. My queries usually included the line "The first five pages are attached below, and the full manuscript is available upon request."

And while yes, agents are going to assume you're querying because the book is finished, they still receive submissions that are incomplete. Not everyone has AW at their disposal and *knows* not to query until the manuscript is finished and polished.

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
@ChaosTitan Makes sense. I noticed some passionate responses to this in SYW (for the last time, don't do this!! etc. etc.) so i just wanted to make sure there wasn't some giant industry bias against this that I managed to miss. Thanks for the response.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
@ChaosTitan Makes sense. I noticed some passionate responses to this in SYW (for the last time, don't do this!! etc. etc.) so i just wanted to make sure there wasn't some giant industry bias against this that I managed to miss. Thanks for the response.

You're welcome.

And something important to remember about any critique you receive (whether in SYW or an outside source) is that, as the author, you have to decide what advice to use and what advice to not use. Critters aren't always right one-hundred percent of the time. :)

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Also, check out the agents info/blogs if available, if they say they want it, include it, if they say they don't want it, omit it.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I use the "complete at 100,000 words" bit, but I think even that's overkill. I just like how it sounds. :D Including the word count, which is mandatory, should make it clear that the MS is completed.

I don't think we should clutter up our queries just to show that we're not one of Those People who query unfinished manuscripts, unedited work, Nano first drafts, etc.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
All that said -- this is one of those tiny things that doesn't really matter in the end. Some agents want to hear it. Some agents think it's pointless. Some agents want title, genre, and word count before the pitch, some insist it needs to come after. Unless it's stated prominently in their submissions guidelines, don't worry about it. No one will reject an otherwise good query because you do one of these things 'wrong' -- and no agent can expect you to read through every single entry of their blog to figure out what they do or don't want in their queries.

Write an industry-standard query letter, polish it, check guidelines for specifics, then send it out. Don't stress too much about these details. You'll never please everyone.

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
"Write an industry-standard query letter, polish it, check guidelines for specifics, then send it out. Don't stress too much about these details. You'll never please everyone."

Authors working on queries should hang this quote on the wall above their computers. It's a good reminder (thank you!), and it's easy to get bogged down in all of The Rules (especially when they conflict). Great advice.