PDA

View Full Version : Cold and Flu suck!

Zelenka
01-26-2011, 07:31 PM
So, I have had this cold, flu, whatever it is now since December 23rd, without a day of let up. I have tried absolutely everything I can think of, from chicken soup to vitamin C supplements to that echinacea thing or whatever it's called to mainstream medications and nothing is making the slightest difference.

So anyone got any cold remedies I can try that might get rid of this damn thing and let me concentrate on my writing again? It's really hard to figure out what needs editing in my novel when I have to stop to go out and buy new tissues every hour!

J (sick, feeling sorry for herself)

alleycat
01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Do you have a Neti pot?

Zelenka
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Do you have a Neti pot?

I don't know. What's a neti pot? Is it like one of the vapour things?

Oops, edited, after some google fu. never seen one of those before, like a sinus wash? Shall have a look.

cray
01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
go to the doctor.

alleycat
01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't know. What's a neti pot? Is it like one of the vapour things?

Oops, edited, after some google fu. never seen one of those before, like a sinus wash? Shall have a look.
You can get one here for less than $10. Make your own saltine solution and have at it (in the privacy of your own bathroom . . . few things make you look or feel as silly as using a Neti pot). It will help to clear and dry up your sinuses. Maybe you'll only have to go out for tissues four times a day.

You can make your own crude version using a paper or plastic cup, but it doesn't work as well.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
go to the doctor.

This if you haven't already.

Zelenka
01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
My doctors' has a sign up saying not to come in with colds and flus. Their answer is phone NHS 24, who tell you to take paracetamol and go to bed. Both of which I've tried.

Spiral
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Do you take vitamin D? If you can find it, a liquid is best. I take 2000 IU daily and my kids get 1000 IU. When my son was sick at the start of the school year (he gets sick at the same time, every year, and the cough usually sticks around all winter), our naturopath told me to double his dose. He was better within a week, and hasn't been sick since.

Spiral
01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Also, similar to a Neti Pot, my husband uses a product called 'hydraSense'. It's salt water, and the container is designed with a spout on the end that you use to squirt the water up your nose.

Zelenka
01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Do you take vitamin D? If you can find it, a liquid is best. I take 2000 IU daily and my kids get 1000 IU. When my son was sick at the start of the school year (he gets sick at the same time, every year, and the cough usually sticks around all winter), our naturopath told me to double his dose. He was better within a week, and hasn't been sick since.

Actually, I bought a bottle of vitamin D tablets a couple of days ago, not for the cold but because we've recently been dumped with doing night shifts at work and I was worried about lack of daylight, SAD and the likes, as I'm quite prone to SAD. Will give that a try.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Hate to break up this healing-fest, but as few of us are doctors and those who are do not dispense medical advice over the 'net, gonna close this now. Thanks for your support.