SyFy

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
When the SciFi channel got big time "wrestling," I knew something was up. When they couldn't figure out how to spell Sci Fi, I knew the end was near.

Now scheduled to die are Stargate Universe and Caprica and it appears that they might not even get to air a few shows already filmed. They are also the executioner for Firefly and Farscape.

http://scifi.about.com/b/2010/12/20/stargate-universe-canceled.htm

http://www.tv.com/why-is-caprica-cancelled/webnews/183568.html

Goodbye SyFy...maybe you should rename yourself something else? I take that back, SyFy says it all.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...when I heard wrestling was coming, I knew the end was coming for my last true bastion of Sci Fi on TV. I don't have any other...

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
We pronounce it see-fee around here. The word (sound) Sci-Fi means something different-- and good.

First it was The Learning Channel, then the History Channel, then TechTV, then the Sci-Fi Channel...

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
See-fee, I like it! LOL

It used to be such a good channel. But all the good, interesting, different channels get f*cked over it seems. Flash over substance. There really is no outlet for good science fiction anymore, which is too bad.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I like watching MST3K episodes on Netflix and remembering the good old days of the Sci-FI Channel, when they had the little Saturn overlay in the corner and I used to watch Mike and the Bots. (The Saturn may still be there--I haven't watched in years.)

It was so exciting when it was relatively new, and then even only fairly new. Forever Knight marathons, MST3K . . . . Wrestling? Really? I was hoping the switch to SyFy was a stupid fad and they'd come to their senses and switch it back.

Sadly,

Shelley

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Sci-Fi's peak was in the late 90s early 2000s. Used to love watching all the made for tv sci-fi movies and Tremors and The Invisible Man and The Outer Limits etc.

Now like the History channel it is no long about Sci-Fi or History I think History Channel shows more Sci-Fi stuff now than History actually XD. They're trying to appeal to the everyday man. I thought the end was nigh when they started cancelling their biggest shows. I think what Sci-Fi has done is what most other networks do when they want to cancel hit shows - move their time slot, stop them for two weeks without telling etc to purposely make them get low ratings and use it as a reason to cancel.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
FOX killed Firefly.

Farscape was produced and originally aired on the Sci Fi Channel, but it's unfair to say they killed it. The series got four seasons and several TV movie/miniseries. A show can only last as long as it's making money for a network, and Farscape was expensive to produce.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I watch Eureka and Warehouse 13 on SyFy that is all really.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when SciFi used to play Battlestar Galactica (original) and Star Trek series, all day long. Good times, good times.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I remember when SciFi used to play Battlestar Galactica (original) and Star Trek series, all day long. Good times, good times.

I used to love when Sci Fi did their Four-Play nights. Monday through Thursday, they'd pick a show and play for episodes in a row during the evening. The schedule would shift so that they could play different shows, and when your favorite came back around, it picked up where they left off.

*sigh*

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
When the SciFi channel got big time "wrestling," I knew something was up. When they couldn't figure out how to spell Sci Fi, I knew the end was near.

Now scheduled to die are Stargate Universe and Caprica and it appears that they might not even get to air a few shows already filmed. They are also the executioner for Firefly and Farscape.

SG:U was cancelled a couple of weeks ago, most of the cast and crew finding out through Twitter. Tasteful, what?

Farscape was produced and originally aired on the Sci Fi Channel, but it's unfair to say they killed it. The series got four seasons and several TV movie/miniseries. A show can only last as long as it's making money for a network, and Farscape was expensive to produce.

Several? There was one miniseries, The Peacekeeper Wars - though it does continue in comic format (the less I say about that, the better...)

It wasn't about money, it was about pick up. Since Channel Nine decided to keep moving date and time, it never really got an Australian audience and C9 pulled out. Without them being partners, it invalidated the contracts of the Australian actors. And the show was cancelled.