PDA

View Full Version : Books Trashed

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Mom donated two large bags of paperbacks to the local interfaith goodwill shop. Mainly they were romances(nothing racy). She went back a week later and another customer asked if there were any books because the shelves were empty. Mom mentioned her donation and the lady working went silent, then said that a couple of 'church women' didn't like the content and tossed the two bags of books in the trash.

I was livid when mom relayed that to me. The books were in mint condition and certainly nothing out of the way. I will NEVER send a donation of ANYTHING to them again!

scarletpeaches
01-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Books being binned like that makes me weep.

At the very least, they should have checked them, said, "Sorry, they're not suitable," then handed them back.

This is as wasteful as food being thrown in the bin when it could be enjoyed by someone else.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 04:58 AM

At the very least, they should have checked them, said, "Sorry, they're not suitable," then handed them back.

This is as wasteful as food being thrown in the bin when it could be enjoyed by someone else.

The thing is they never trashed any before. These were for the most part, tame romances, some lit and a few suspense.

I agree. It really pissed me off to no end which ended in me ranting for an hour on how they will never see anything from me again.

scarletpeaches
01-26-2011, 05:09 AM
I cry when someone creases the spine on a paperback. This? Far worse.

amyashley
01-26-2011, 05:12 AM
That's sad. Why didn't they just take them to a different used book store or thrift shop? Someone would love to have them.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 05:18 AM
:Shrug:I buy my books new for the most part. I'd estimate about 500 bucks tossed in the trash by them.:Soapbox:

thothguard51
01-26-2011, 05:30 AM
They are obviously idiots. They could have traded them at a used book store for those they could have sold. They lost money...

Silver King
01-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Next time, you might want to consider donating books to a local jail or prison. I've done so many times, as most inmates in my area have little reading material to choose from and appreciate good books. You might even decide to donate some of your own work, seeing as you'd have a captive audience and all.

Snowstorm
01-26-2011, 06:12 AM

Quoted for truth. This is how I feel. All I can do is just shake my head at the waste on several levels.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Next time, you might want to consider donating books to a local jail or prison. I've done so many times, as most inmates in my area have little reading material to choose from and appreciate good books. You might even decide to donate some of your own work, seeing as you'd have a captive audience and all.

I would but I don't have anything in print yet. :)

BenPanced
01-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Possibly even a homeless shelter or nursing home.

Devil Ledbetter
01-26-2011, 06:29 AM
They probably took them home for themselves.

I know someone who worked at a church resale shop, and he complained this was common practice among the women there. They took first pick of all the best donated stuff that came through, taking for themselves charity items meant to benefit the poor.

Silver King
01-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Possibly even a homeless shelter or nursing home.
Yes! And also, believe it or not, your local library. I've donated books there as well, some of which end up on the shelves while others are sold by the staff to help fund the library.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 06:35 AM
The local library refuses donations, been there and tried that. But there is a nursing home and that is certainly worth trying. :) The nearest prison is also across the island.:tongue

PattiTheWicked
01-26-2011, 06:38 AM
I sometimes donate my used books to a local women's shelter, or I give them to my mother in law to take to the senior center. Both places always seem happy to take anything I send in.

Sweetleaf
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Brainy, I think that's awful. I was in the local Salvation Army op-shop the other day, and they had NO qualms about they hold there! :D

SK's idea is awesome, I'm going to remember that.

It reminds me of when I posted a question about sex in the romance/chick lit section (can't remember what it's called, sorry), and someone (Gah, why do I always forget names at the worst moments???) posted that a friend of his writes very steamy romance novels, and her religious parent's church friend had a habit of pointing how many swear words were in them.

Not the dirty bits, just the swear words. Because that's what's important right? ;)

C.H. Valentino
01-26-2011, 09:27 AM
This is so crappy... uhg. I agree with SP; makes me weep.

Also, donations can go to a local senior citizen center. They usually have a lending system in place for donated books.

Stlight
01-26-2011, 09:38 AM
If I were you I'd tell them to their faces how much the books were worth and that they'd get nothing more from me.

It's possible you did this, but it's hard to tell from your statement of rant.

Okay, actually, I'd probably go by once every other month and tell them again, but then I'm not nice when books or food are wasted.

Shakesbear
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Ignorant bigots! Bah!
Is the charity shop an independent one or are they part of a larger organization? If the latter I would complain loud and long to the head office about the ignorant so and so's they have in their shops. I would also send a copy of the letter to the local newspaper - if there is one.

cryaegm
01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
So, wait. They just threw the books out because the church didn't like the content?

Are you saying that the church read ALL the books, or that they assumed that it was in poor taste because they were "romance", thinking there was nothing but sex and other things the church doesn't like?

I'm not trying to put the church down, so please don't get offended by it, but I hate it when a church does that. =/ I mean, I know it's in their rights to accept and not accept certain things, but if they didn't like it, why not just give it back? Why not wait or call the person who donated (in other words, your mom) the books? That's a waste. A complete waste of books that I'm sure anyone would've enjoyed.

Cliff Face
01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
On the topic of donating your own work...

I've been volunteering at the Salvos for about 3 weeks or so now. On Monday, I was at the register, and a young girl (maybe 16) came up and showed me a CD that had obviously been made at home. My first thought was that it was an illegal copy, but it was a band neither of us had heard of.

The girl said, "It's probably a band hoping they'll be discovered." She then went on to say that she was so curious about it that she'd buy it, just to see what it was like.

Just thought I'd share that story. :)

On the topic of wasting books...

I despise censorship of any kind. If you don't like the content, that's your business, but let other people have the same courtesy of finding out if they like the content or not.

Totally try to get them in trouble. Perhaps Consumer Affairs would have something to say about a charity shop binning new, good condition, inoffensive books en masse? Surely that's a breach of their Business Policy?

bettielee
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Brainy.

I feel your roiling INDIGNATION! man... *squeezes hands into fists*

buggernuts! oh man. grrrrrr!!!

Sorry. That's all I got.

Cliff Face
01-26-2011, 02:35 PM
But it was a feisty grrr, bettie, so your support is very helpful.

To the battlements people! Load your word-guns! Set blasters to light romance! Target acquired!

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit excitable...

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
If I were you I'd tell them to their faces how much the books were worth and that they'd get nothing more from me.

It's possible you did this, but it's hard to tell from your statement of rant.

Okay, actually, I'd probably go by once every other month and tell them again, but then I'm not nice when books or food are wasted.

Mom informed them. She was quite upset too.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
The shop is an interfaith shop run by all the churches in town. Each takes its turn putting in time there.

I get the feeling it isn't every one who volunteers there from the churches, just a few who decided to make their own rules on what's decent and what isn't.

firedrake
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Shite, stuff like this really boils my piss.

I hate hearing of good books going to waste because some self-righteous eejits decided they weren't suitable.

*looks for something to kick*

I gave a whole bunch of books away to a charity shop before I moved back to the UK. Included in the bags were a few that my (former) boss had loaned to me. Given that he threw me to the wolves, it seems good payback :D I'd love to have seen his face when he spotted them on the shelves during one of his frequent visits to that shop.

*whistles*

whimsical rabbit
01-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I cry when someone creases the spine on a paperback.

At least a creased spine means someone actually read the book. But trashing it? Trashing it???

Next time, you might want to consider donating books to a local jail or prison. I've done so many times, as most inmates in my area have little reading material to choose from and appreciate good books.

This is an absolutely brilliant idea, for so many different reasons. Thanks, SK. That's what I'm doing next time.

Shite, stuff like this really boils my piss.

I hate hearing of good books going to waste because some self-righteous eejits decided they weren't suitable.

*looks for something to kick*

I was going to type something along these lines, but firedrake put it perfectly.

Satori1977
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
I would have been livid. I probably would have went off on anyone that would listen! They could have looked at the books before your mom left. Or called her to say they were unsuitable and she could have donated them elsewhere.

I always donate books to my library (never heard of a library that won't accept used books). Mine has a used bookstore and the proceeds help the library.

But I will look into prisons and nursing homes, good idea.

KyraDune
01-26-2011, 07:20 PM
That really irks me. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has the right decide what books are appropriate for reading. I don't like romances myself, but I wouldn't toss them or tell other people they shouldn't read them just because I don't like them.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah. It's stupid.

Vito
01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
When I was an undergraduate I worked in the textbook department of my university campus bookstore. The store would throw away hundreds of brand-new books several times a year. Usually it was because the books couldn't be returned or sold back to the textbook wholesalers, or because the store didn't have the storage space to keep 'em. Textbook clerks, myself included, would load these books into gurneys, wheel the gurneys to the loading dock in back of the store, and throw the books into the dumpster. My boss would permit us to "raid" the gurneys and take home as many books as we wanted, although she warned us to be discrete because it was against store policy. (I never understood the business reasons for discarding the books or not permitting employees to "rescue" the books, to tell ya the truth). Me and my co-workers got a lot of great books that way, but still -- hundreds and hundreds of books, in the trash, down the drain. What a shame.

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I would have at least felt better if they recycled them... Idiots!

Vito
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM

This was 1987-1988. Recycling wasn't a big thing, then.

Most of the books that I rescued were scholarly paperbacks (history, poli sci, etc.) that I thought I might need in the future, and they're still on my shelves. I'll confess that I also took three coffee-table-size art books with full color, glossy pages that the general/trade book department had discarded. Really really nice books. I later sold 'em to a used book shop, for "weekend money".

College: The best seven years of my life! :Thumbs:

brainstorm77
01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
I meant the books I donated:evil

whimsical rabbit
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM

I was actually going to say that, just wasn't sure how it was going to sound.

But yeah, I know what you mean.

Button
01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Someone needs to warn those religious folks that the Bible has sex and violence in it. Might wanna toss 'em.

Sorry. Bad comment.

Yes, waste is a terrible thing. My own mom used to go through my book collection on occasion and question whether or not I should read the books I was reading. Always used to threaten to throw them out.

I love the ideas of other places to donate besides the library. Lots of people donate to the library here, and they have a big sale every six months or so to help fund the library. The library is POPULAR here so it's always a big hit.

But I tend to forget about the other charities. :) Should split them up sometime.

Soccer Mom
01-27-2011, 12:35 AM
If you have a Ronald McDonald House for families of critically ill children, they usually take donations of reading material (both for adults and for children, plus they love getting board games that families can play).

Vito
01-27-2011, 12:49 AM
I meant the books I donated:evil

Oh, okay! :)

brainstorm77
01-27-2011, 01:37 AM
There are thrift stores in the city that support other charities. I will start giving my donations to them. I have shopped there so I know they don't sift their book section for content.

Button
01-27-2011, 01:50 AM
I'd shift through racks if I were at GoodWill, too. Take out all those trashy novels.

And take them home. :)

stormie
01-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Does someone oversee that Goodwill shop that your mom or you can contact about this? I mean, if these "church ladies" (why do I keep picturing Dana Carvey) are tossing out books on their own whim, I wonder how many other books besides your mom's they toss in the trash.

Belle_91
01-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Hope no one is offended, but I think we can all use a good laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR5GuX3MpV8&feature=related

brainstorm77
01-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Does someone oversee that Goodwill shop that your mom or you can contact about this? I mean, if these "church ladies" (why do I keep picturing Dana Carvey) are tossing out books on their own whim, I wonder how many other books besides your mom's they toss in the trash.

They do have a council that is in charge of the actual running of the place. And my guess is probably a lot. I did monitor what was going to them. Of course I wouldn't sent any erotica to them.:D

There were sweet romances from HQ, historicals, some women's fiction, suspense, and lit.

Vito
01-27-2011, 03:10 AM
Next time, tell Mom to list her books on Amazon Marketplace. It's simple. First, she'll need to come up with a catchy seller name -- "brainstorm77'sMom", for example. Second, she'll need to create an inventory list that includes the titles, condition ratings, and prices of the items she wants to sell. Third, customers will start buying her books, and then the cash will start rollin' in. Finally, your mom will become a millionaire, an overnight success!

(Best case scenario, of course). ;)

Eudoxia
01-27-2011, 04:28 AM
It just baffles me how someone could throw away a perfectly good book and not regret their decision. I don't much like romance novels myself, but I wouldn't just throw them away! I'd probably give them to my mother or best friend since they absolutely LOVE romance. It's a little funny to me because I used to have to go to a church where everyone was always about the environment, but they never recycled.

I'm pretty sure if my local library caught wind of this they'd definitely have a fit and probably come after those old goons. I agree with SP that they should've at least handed the books back if the content didn't seem suitable to them. Bah!

cryaegm
01-28-2011, 01:35 PM
I would donate my Twilight books that I have (don't read them anymore, have no use for them), however, I never got the 4th book back after I let my sister borrow it (actually her friend borrowed it and never gave it back; it has my name in it, lol). Sadly, though, my kittens didn't like the books, apparently, and tore all three books up when they ventured into my room.

It's funny, though. They didn't touch any of my other books, just the Twilight Saga ones.

Edit: They also did other things to the books, like trying to go to the bathroom on them. It was just those books, too. Nothing else. Not the carpet, other books, paper. Just the Twilight Saga. :x Your guess is as good as mine as to why they did that, and I don't think anyone is going to want them after that.

regdog
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Narrow minded idiots.

I love romance novels and had shelves of them. My Aunt used to bring them into her office for the library. The woman who worked the library had a list of people who wanted to be notified when my Aunt would make her donation. All the books were checked out with a day. When she retired we started donating to our local library for the annual book sale fundraiser. They were always glad to get them and said they were big sellers.

BardSkye
01-29-2011, 03:19 AM
It reminds me of when I posted a question about sex in the romance/chick lit section (can't remember what it's called, sorry), and someone (Gah, why do I always forget names at the worst moments???) posted that a friend of his writes very steamy romance novels, and her religious parent's church friend had a habit of pointing how many swear words were in them.

Not the dirty bits, just the swear words. Because that's what's important right? ;)

Absolutely. If the friend's from my era, his/her parents had a fit if a swear word passed his/her lips but likely didn't know he/she was doing the dirty on the sly. Most people don't put anywhere near the amount of work into hiding their swearing as they do in hiding the dirty bits they're engaged in. :tongue