Hopefully appropriate...

StephD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping against hope that this is an appropriate place to post this thread. If not, I'm apologizing in advance!

I wonder something. Is this a phenomenon that is exclusive to me? A cosmic joke at my expense? Well, I hope not. I hope some of you can commiserate, comment, even offer advice.

Right now, I work for a small town newspaper. I do the typical staff writer stuff. But, the pay is akin to peanuts. I'm okay with that; that's the way any small town publication is going to be. But the job, working as a journalist in any capacity, having a by-line...oh, what bliss! This is soul food for me.

I pursue other avenues of income. I work as a writer for a law firm. I've got another recurring private client for whom I have written small ebooks and articles. I have not made a mint. But a few hundred bucks a month is nothing to shake a stick at either.

I do find, however, a lot of doubtful comments from family members about how much money I earn. In fact, each time a particular relative asks me about my job, th subject of moolah is always mentioned. i'm to the point that I reserve my little celebrations and refrain from commenting on cool things in my world. I feel scrutinized under the microscope so to speak. If I do not make 3k each month I am not a legit writer?

I should add that I am constantly learning as much as I can and pursuing the dream of freelance work for magazines as well. As many freelancers understand, this alone takes a lot of time. I would hate to work it out per hour. I am always busy. But I know that in order to supplement my newspaper income with magazine work, i have to work hard to get there.

Is this typical? Am I just a nerd for caring? Okay, confidence is not something I am hardwired to have. I get that. But I work from home mostly, I still keep up with my kids, and my husband is fully supportive. I am in my mid-thirties and didn't pursue this dream with any real effort until about a yea and a half ago. I could really use some feedback/advice here.

Or just tell me I am being a nut and to knock it off, that could work too. (nervous attempt at humor)

Thanks,

Steph.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing just fine to me--staff writer, freelance writer, mother, taking care of the home . . . growing in your chosen career.

Sounds like your "particular relative" has a problem. Personally, I think it's disrespectful and rude for someone to pry into someone's else's financials. A lot of people in this world do things for reasons other than money; a lot of these same people make a real difference in the world.

Tressa

Writer in hiding
Registered
Reaction score
I stopped a few people from repeatedly asking how much I make by staring at them for 10 seconds before asking why they'd ask such a private question. It's uncomfortable but by the time it gets to that point I need something that makes them think.

StephD

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I guess I never thought about the privacy issue, well, at least not enough to think to tell this person to butt out. Good approach. And sometimes I'm the last one to see the forest in the trees.

I guess it's tough. He's an in-law, so I feel extra pressure to be overly forthcoming.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
It seems like writers get asked this question a lot. I mean, I will sell a piece and be so excited (especially if I've broken into a new market) and I'll get asked how much they pay. I get asked that by fellow writers too (not many). If a writer wants to know they can go look it up or something. It's none of anyone's business how much you're making.
You could ask him right back how much he makes. I mean, he asked you so it's okay, right? :)

WittyWordsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KinseyMoberg.com
You keep doing your thing! As long as you're fulfilled with your work, money isn't the point. Be proud of yourself and celebrate your victories, you've earned them! If someone has the gall to ask into your personal financial situation, just tell them you "make enough." Then scrutinize them back. LOL

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
My first job out of college was at a medium-sized metropolitan, daily newspaper and I had a front-page byline on my first day. My starting salary wasn't much, but it was more than my sister's and she was a teacher. Still, I got the huge lecture from my mother that I really ought to make some money. She never read anything I wrote until recently and I'm 44! Now, she's gushing all over the place about what a wondeful writer I am. She's reading my blogs, my freelance articles and my fiction and telling people about her daughter, "the writer."
People outside the business just don't seem to understand.
What are your ultimate career goals? Do you want to move up to a larger newspaper, make a career of freelance or work full-time for a magazine?

StephD

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.

happrywritermom: Eventually, I want to move on to a larger paper, but for now I am content where I am. My goal right now is the make it into freelancing for magazines. I want to balance a career between freelancing for magazines and writing for a newspaper. I do want to see more income; this is more than a hobby. But I am very well aware that less than a year and a half in is not long enough to expect a dollar a word assignments.

I do want to move onward and upward. I could freelance from my tiny office for the rest of my life, alongside interviewing normal people in my small town for the paper. Maybe a little larger paper eventually.

You are right; those outside the business don't seem to get that this is a process. Rungs on a ladder...

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to move onward and upward in newspaper, you need to focus primarily on kicking some serious butt at that small-town newspaper. Small-town papers are great for that. Someone who is ambitious can really dig in without a lot of competition from other reporters.
Decide on a paper (or two or three) that will be your next move and forward clips to the city editor there now and then, whenever you have a good one (Clips that prove you can do specific things better than most: criminal investigation, feature writing (good, solid stuff that informs and entertains in unique ways), investigative municiple government coverage, analytical/investigative education coverage -- all that kind of stuff. Be picky. Make sure something stands out about each clip.
It can take years to move from one paper to the next, but most editors really don't have time to sift through resumes and clips of unknowns when they have openings and HR departments don't do the newsroom hiring. Make yourself known so they are ready when you are.
Best of luck!
It's a fun profession.
Lori

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of relative like that. When I was writing for my local newspaper (a job than ended August 2009) one particular asks me how much I got paid, and when I refused to answer, got pretty huffy about it. Apparently my non-answer means I'm embarrassed by how little I earn. Made for a fun Christmas dinner that year.