Does anyone speak Russian?

elppirc0

Registered
Reaction score
I’m writing a letter to someone in Russia, well the Ukraine, but Russian speaking. I’m just wondering if I can count on google translator to get it right, or should I be looking for a human translator?

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I've copied the text of your post into Google translator and translated it into few Slavic languages I understand. The translation came out surprisingly understandable, but with some awful grammatical errors. It was like Indians speak English in the Westerns.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Google translate will give you the gist, if not the correct grammatical format.

This question reminds me of an old story about the CIA. They tried to make a translating computer for Russian, to test it out they would take a sentence in English, translate it to Russian, then back to English.

It had a lot of trouble with figures of speech so, one day a programmer decided to try the phrase, "Out of sight, out of mind."

The computer responded. "Invisible idiot."

elppirc0

Registered
Reaction score
I've found when translated back to English there's either words missing, or they're re-ordered in a way that make sense still but doesn't sound quite right. So after two hours of changing: comma placements, words, and the order of words, I finally got it to translate back to English perfectly.

So, google translator does work with some playing around.