PDA

View Full Version : Monster's Lair/Overcoming the Monster

katiemac
01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm doing a little plot study on what some might call "into the monster's lair."

There's the literal interpretation, where the hero physically enters the monster's den to destroy the terrible creature (Beowulf).

Then there's the metaphorical interpretation that includes exorcising some inner demons/turmoil, but still includes a visit to a "lair" in the climax. One example, which I attributed this plot construction to years ago, is A History of Violence, where the protagonist finally accepts his past. In doing so, [Spoilers] he goes to his brother's home (the lair) and kills his brother (outward projection of the "monster" within).

I'm looking for some critical texts on this particular plot, but also looking for some stories, however basic, that fit the plot. Novels, films, myths, fairy tales, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Kitty Pryde
01-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I like The Writer's Journey (and this would be one part of the hero/heroine's journey) and The Seven Basic Plots (and this would likely be part of the Overcoming The Monster plot).

Some books:
Witch Baby: the monster's lair being the home of her birth mother who belongs to a strange society of Jayne Mansfield impersonators...well, it makes more sense of you read it. Anyways, the lair is also her own dark side and black-sheepish ways in her adoptive family.
Missing Angel Juan: same main character, different life problems--the lair is the basement of an evil 50s style diner.

It's dinner time but I shall think on some others.

katiemac
01-25-2011, 08:22 AM
I like The Writer's Journey (and this would be one part of the hero/heroine's journey) and The Seven Basic Plots (and this would likely be part of the Overcoming The Monster plot).

Thank you! I knew it had a name; it's been a couple years. Also it's a Monday. Would you believe I Googled a ton of variations in phrasing except that? There come some of the links.

Checking out your story suggestions now. (And editing the thread title.)

Lady Ice
01-26-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm doing a little plot study on what some might call "into the monster's lair."

There's the literal interpretation, where the hero physically enters the monster's den to destroy the terrible creature (Beowulf).

Then there's the metaphorical interpretation that includes exorcising some inner demons/turmoil, but still includes a visit to a "lair" in the climax. One example, which I attributed this plot construction to years ago, is A History of Violence, where the protagonist finally accepts his past. In doing so, [Spoilers] he goes to his brother's home (the lair) and kills his brother (outward projection of the "monster" within).

I'm looking for some critical texts on this particular plot, but also looking for some stories, however basic, that fit the plot. Novels, films, myths, fairy tales, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe Lolita, when Humbert goes to see Quilty?

Sydneyd
01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
There is a YA series, House of Night, in Burned (Book #7 I think), a character literally must defeat himself (in an alternate sort of heaven dimension) the other self is a representation of his darker, monsterous self. This is probably not as a subtle as you are going for...but its out there.

Kate Monster
02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
The Epic of Gilgamesh, the first known fiction.

I suppose the Cyclops episodes of both The Odyssey and James Joyce's Ulysses qualify, although they're not primarily Monster Plot stories.

I second the vote for Lolita.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings both have elements of it.

The Silence of the Lambs, Dracula (well actually, just about any monster movie, period)...

misha_mcg
03-30-2011, 02:08 AM
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings both have elements of it.

The Silence of the Lambs, Dracula (well actually, just about any monster movie, period)...

These definitely apply. I mean, Lord of the Rings is a situation in which they literally go to a monster's lair and destroy it.

grandmastertuck
04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Song of Suzannah and the Dixie Pig. The ka-tet must enter the lair of the can-toi and destroy them. Stephen King's Dark Tower #6, and yes, I'm a rabid fan of DT.

Rawiya
04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Return of the Jedi, Luke enters the tree to confront Vader.

deana
04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Could Beauty and the Beast be interpreted as such?

justkay
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I write monster books and so confronting monsters is a popular theme for me.

Most monster stories contain the element of going into the lair to confront the monster because that's the mark of bravery, the stuff that heroes are made of.

If the monster charges toward my home and I defeat it, then I'm really just defending myself. Yes, there is a little bit of heroics in that - I did, after all, kill the monster, but not by choice. The monster came to me and I had no alternative but to fight or die.

But if I dare to leave my safe place, if I step into the monster's territory then I'm doing what few people dare to do! Most are hunkered down in their nice, safe homes, hoping the monster never shows up, but me - I'm all up in the monster's face - and that's the mark of true hero and why we love those stories so much!

(Yeah, I just re-read this post and it's totally off track! :Shrug:Just goes to show, you shouldn't get me started on monsters!)