Back from WD Conference: Acceptable turnaround time for requested pages?

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
I attended the Writer's Digest conference on Saturday and was fortunate to get 4 requests from agents (the lines were so ridiculously long that I was only able to meet with 4 out of 55 agents during the 2 hour pitch slam, but at least I got great feedback from all of them!)

One of them requested just a query letter (she said she loved the idea but thought it was something more along the lines of a story the owner of her agency would rep, so to query her and it would be shared w/ her boss); another requested first 20 pages and a synopsis; third requested first 50 pages; fourth requested the full manuscript.

My problem is that I'm still putting the final touches on my last draft. My crit partner (who called me Friday night w/ her feedback on the latest draft) thought the beginning was still a little slow but had some good suggestions to help with that (not extensive edits), the ending needed to be beefed up/was too abrupt, and I also need to insert two or three chapters (they are diary entries, so pretty short) in the middle to help explain a situation that happens. Other than those edits, she thought it was pretty much in final shape. I anticipate these changes will take me about 2 weeks to complete between me making them, her reviewing, me making any extra edits, her reviewing one last time and then me cleaning up/proofing/formatting the doc. I don't work full time but she does, so although I could probably make all those edits in a couple of days, I need to account for her time.

The query and the first 20/50 pg requests I can certainly send off by tomorrow or Wed, that's not an issue, but as for the full, would it be bad form to wait 2 weeks to send it? I'm afraid it will make me look uninterested or like a slacker for waiting so long. I certainly don't want to rush the edits and send something that isnt as good as it could have been if I took more time...

Thanks!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
The query and the first 20/50 pg requests I can certainly send off by tomorrow or Wed, that's not an issue, but as for the full, would it be bad form to wait 2 weeks to send it? I'm afraid it will make me look uninterested or like a slacker for waiting so long. I certainly don't want to rush the edits and send something that isnt as good as it could have been if I took more time...

Don't worry about taking a few weeks. They'll probably be getting other subs from the conference, plus their usual stuff. They won't think you're a slacker. And good luck!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks isn't terribly long, but be sure to mention that they requested the manuscript at this conference, and don't include an explanation of your two-week delay.

Generally an manuscript should be complete and polished before you pitch, but since you can't control the dates of these conferences, it doesn't always work out that way. Congratulations on so many requests!

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks isn't terribly long, but be sure to mention that they requested the manuscript at this conference, and don't include an explanation of your two-week delay.

Generally an manuscript should be complete and polished before you pitch, but since you can't control the dates of these conferences, it doesn't always work out that way. Congratulations on so many requests!

Thank you! I know, that was a bummer for me (the timing) but I figured it would be a miss to wait another year to attend the conference since I was so close to being done.