Romance: England circa 1870-1890's research links

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently working on a romance set in the late 1800's, (1870-1890's range...still pinning it down based on different events) and while I've been able to find most of the information that I need as it relates to the current story, there are secondary characters in this story who just keep speaking to me, and I'm sure I'll get around to telling their stories soon. ;)

So I'm looking for website links that would have any information on the following. I promise, I've googled like crazy all weekend.

a. Any information about spinal cord injuries and treatment during that time. I'm thinking a gunshot wound near the lower spine, the bullet is lodged near but doesn't damage the spinal cord. A doctor/surgeon removes the bullet but due to swelling or bruising of the spinal cord, he's paralyzed from the hips down for a period of time. He regains the majority of his leg function at a later time. Would this even be possible during that time frame?

b. Are there any records of rapes that went on at prestigious boarding schools, specifically male student raping a female who either worked at the school or was a family member of a teacher. Just need to know if that scenario would even be possible as a back story for one of the female characters. If it did and the female was lower to middle class and the rapist was from the upper class, would he even be brought up on charges during that time?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
There are...

a number of resources listed which might help you down in Genres: Historical. Look at the 5th stickie which is Resources by Era and spend time looking at the general resources as well as the UK Victorian ones.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently working on a romance set in the late 1800's, (1870-1890's range...still pinning it down based on different events) and while I've been able to find most of the information that I need as it relates to the current story, there are secondary characters in this story who just keep speaking to me, and I'm sure I'll get around to telling their stories soon. ;)

So I'm looking for website links that would have any information on the following. I promise, I've googled like crazy all weekend.

b. Are there any records of rapes that went on at prestigious boarding schools, specifically male student raping a female who either worked at the school or was a family member of a teacher. Just need to know if that scenario would even be possible as a back story for one of the female characters. If it did and the female was lower to middle class and the rapist was from the upper class, would he even be brought up on charges during that time?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated!

I have no sources of records to quote you, but from reading such books as Tom Brown's Schooldays (earlier than your period) and histories of the major public school I attended, I would hazard that your rape scenario is possible and that little would be done to the perpetrator. Your victim could be a servant (housemaid, scullerymaid) in the household of a staff member - housemaster would be good - and she would just be sent away. The perpetrator might be expelled from the school, but criminal charges strike me as unlikely. If the victim were a family member of a teacher then that would be a different matter.

Last edited:

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
pdr...thanks for the heads-up on the resources post. I'm still learning my way around and haven't found all the goodies yet! I'm off to check those posts you referenced.

waylander...thanks! That's what I suspected based on books I've read as well but since it will be a major point in her story, I want to get a good foundation before I start plotting.