• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta for Sci-Fi, 91K Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
My WIP is a 91,000-word Science Fiction novel about first contact set in the near future. I consider the science to be somewhat hard and astronomy-based, so it would be best if you like that sort of thing. I'm seeking feedback regarding pacing, style, plot development, tension/suspense, and unable-to-put-it-down-ness. Of course, anything beyond that (like grammar, sentence structure, dialog tagging, filter, etc.) would be appreciated as well, but I don't want to ask too much.

I'm willing to swap if you have a Sci-Fi novel of your own. It doesn't have to be hard, and I'll provide whatever level of feedback you would like.

Please PM or reply if you're interested.

Kind Regards,

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Brian, I'm interested in reading your first chapter to see if it clicks with me. Not looking for a beta reader in return right now, just bored. Do you have a logline or brief synopsis?

ETA: You a fellow 1982sie? High-five.

Last edited:

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested but would also prefer to read the first chapter before commiting to anything. Have you posted it in AW's ShareYourWork forum??

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
Thanks to the both of you. My chapters are somewhat short (the first is only a paragraph), so I'd like to send the first 23 pages, if I may, which is still not that much since it's in double-spaced manuscript format.

I've posted half a chapter in SYW, and I've posted the query letter in QLH. I'll post another chapter in SYW soon, but I think that will be my final SYW posting for this novel.

So how does this work? PDFs via email?

Here's a story description from the most recent version of my query letter (revisions are pending):

[FONT=Nimbus Sans L, sans-serif]When Neona develops a way to communicate with civilizations across the galaxy -- civilizations long dead and civilizations yet to be -- she discovers an ancient intelligent race in the Leo constellation whose sun has already gone nova. She becomes a hero when, using her device to communicate with them in the past, she warns the Leos about their star's nova and saves the them from the brink of extinction. [/FONT]

[FONT=Nimbus Sans L, sans-serif]But she quickly learns that communicating with the past can have consequences in the present. In saving the Leos, Neona inadvertently incurs the wrath of a very powerful force in the galaxy determined to destroy the race she saved. When this aggressor sends thousands of asteroids hurtling toward Earth -- an attack launched 50,000 years ago from across the galaxy in response to Neona's interference with the Leos -- she must find out who in the ancient past is targeting Earth, and she must figure out how to avert the attack before her own world is extinguished.

Edit:
[/FONT]ETA: You a fellow 1982sie? High-five.
If, by 1982sie, you mean that you were also graduated from college in 1982, then I return your high-five with enthusiasm. But if you mean that you were born in 1982, then I'd be grateful if you would extend the courtesy of allowing me to maintain my grip on my cane as I return your salutation with a heartfelt nod. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.