It was a dark and stormy night

Status
Not open for further replies.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
The most oft used cliche of how not to open your writing. Yet, I constantly see writers opening chapter start with, 'the sun shone over the moors,' 'the blizzard raged against my naked body,' etc. Setting the scene is fine but there seems to be an epidemic of this sort of opening. Thoughts?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Random thoughts...

Maybe because Shakespeare did it ...
'Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer...'

'When shall we three meet again
In thunder, lightning or in rain?'

and maybe because the weather sets our mood as well as setting the mood. Storms are threatening and loud, can be intimidating. A spring morning with birds singing gently in the background is less threatening.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
If weather plays a major part in the beginning of the story, it helps to know what it's doing. If you're outdoors you do different things depending on the weather. Not that many lovers make love in the snow. In fact I've only read one book where that happened and there was the possiblity that it was an hallucination.

I like the date month and year at the beginning of the first chapter, if not all of them.

muddy_shoes

Registered
Reaction score
It's not considered bad because it talks about the weather. It's an example of overwritten/purple prose in how it talks about the weather. "It was a dark and stormy night" is just the first bit:

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents—except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention that a slight improvement would be: "The night was stormy."

Only slight, I'll reiterate. But, hey, the sentence is more active, and for God's sake, it's NIGHT[/b]. Of course it's DARK, unless you live where I do and it's midsummer.

But this opening, overall, quickly signals a distant omni POV unless it gets established in the next paragraph that some character is actually observing this and reporting it as narrator. Not that that's a bad thing, as Seinfeld would say, but a writer needs to understand the effect this kind of narration has on the reader's experience.

And, remember, Bulwer-Lytton was writing in a time when such forms of prose were more fashionable than they are today. You can find similar things which come across to our more modern sensitivities as similar atrocities in Dickens, Trollope, Eliot and others of the time.

And, yes, I know that Madeleine l'Engle stole that line for the opening of her most famed novel. I don't know if it was intended satirically or not, but her novel is damn good, regardless.

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Yeah, but back in the 1830's when that description of a dark and stormy night was used, it wasn't cliche. Unless weather is a character in the story (aspects of setting can be character), or the novel is about how the MC survives a weather storm or catastrophe, there is no reason to open with a weather scene, or a dream scene, or any other type of over-used scene.

Of course, there are always exceptions. :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I'm perfectly fine with these intros. It's usually the first paragraph or page that throws me off, not the first sentence.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
It was a dark and stormy night. A shot rang out and a Blondie stood over a prone body. Sirens soon wailed in the back ground, growing louder, closer.

"Damn, I chipped a finger nail," she said, dropping a Navy 45 on the blood stained carpet.

How can it loose he ask, weather, a hot Blondie, and a mystery in in the first two paragraphs.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I am considering starting a book with:

"The first sentence was awful, but then, when he looked down the page a bit, he realized that it wasn't half bad. So he gave the book a chance."

Hopefully, that'll hook'em.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
It was a dark and stormy night. A shot rang out and a Blondie stood over a prone body. Sirens soon wailed in the back ground, growing louder, closer.

"Damn, I chipped a finger nail," she said, dropping a Navy 45 on the blood stained carpet.

How can it loose he ask, weather, a hot Blondie, and a mystery in in the first two paragraphs.

:roll::roll:

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
I believe many start with the weather simply because they're not sure where to start. In their heads they haven't figured out where the action begins, and usually the beginning can be cut down quite a bit. I know I'm guilty of that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering starting a book with:

"The first sentence was awful, but then, when he looked down the page a bit, he realized that it wasn't half bad. So he gave the book a chance."

Hopefully, that'll hook'em.

The most admirable poet, Billy Collins, a couple of years ago being the U.S. Poet Laureate, wrote a sonnet that began:

"All I need is fourteen lines . . . well, thirteen now."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing wrong with "It was a dark and stormy night" is that it was too well written for the time and place. It didn't become a cliche because it was bad, but becaus eit was so good every hack out there copied it. I suspect none of us on AW will ever be as popular as Bulwer-Lytton, or write novels half as good.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Uh, no. That's not an improvement. That sentence is worse than many seem to think the original is. Start a novel with that sentence, and odds are it'll be the last one an editor reads.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In retrospect, James, I agree with the badness of my "improvement". But I'm not a big fan of "It was X" sentences in general. And while B-W may have been popular in his day, I'll issue a challenge to readers here to pick up any of his novels and grind through them to see if they are still admirable today.

Although there were popular Victorian-era writers who were far worse. Try Lew Wallace, for one. Despite its fame as the basis for the overblown 1950s epic movie, Ben-Hur is just a godawful book to read, by today's sensibilities. I wonder how many people here at AW have ever even tried to read it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Uh, no. That's not an improvement. That sentence is worse than many seem to think the original is. Start a novel with that sentence, and odds are it'll be the last one an editor reads.

Okay, then, how about:

"The knight was Stormie?"

Or:

It was dark, and Stormie Knight fell in the rain, Torrence, except at occasional intervals, when she was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London where she was seen lying)...

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The snow blotted out any description of weather that would be made.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
People love (or love to hate) weather. It even has its own channel.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe many start with the weather simply because they're not sure where to start. In their heads they haven't figured out where the action begins, and usually the beginning can be cut down quite a bit. I know I'm guilty of that.

Yes, this. It's easy to start with the weather if you know what your opening scene is in general, but you're not quite sure what specific action or detail to start with.

That doesn't mean weather openings are bad: They can be beautiful, fitting and filled with tension if done right.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Probably half the submissions I see begin with either the weather, a character waking up, or a character reaching for a cup of coffee to help wake up. I take all of these as throat clearing on the part of the writer, a bit of the writer's actual physical world working its way into the opening.

Even if there's a good reason to open this way, and even if you do it well, the mere fact that fifty percent of all other submissions (and more often than not the bad submissions) share your opening should give you pause.

Tsiamon

Registered
Reaction score
And yet, people always HATE it when I open a book, chapter, or scene with dialogue. "Give us the setting first!" They say. "I need to know where I am before people start talking!"

Personally, I usually liked reading books/chapters/scenes that open with dialogue because I'll just skim over the expository paragraph, anyway. Perhaps I'm just not doing it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.