PDA

View Full Version : British Navy Brigantine

DavidZahir
01-22-2011, 11:44 PM
About what would the crew complement be in an early 19th century brig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig) in the British Royal navy? During peacetime. In general I know they should carry a crew of 12-16, and I'm presuming that would include at least two or three officers. But am I correct?

Thanks in advance!

DavidZahir
01-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Okay, what I did was go to a list of the crew of HMS Beagle and got this:

1 Captain (rank: Lieutenant)
2 Lieutenants
5 Midshipmen
1 Royal Marine Serjeant
7 Royal Marines
49 Crew

Phyllo
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Brig and Brigantine are different vessels -- different rigging. From the little I understand, a brig is two-masted and square-rigged.

The HMS Beagle started life as a brig, but was converted to a survey ship (either a barque or sloop-brig -- I'm not sure which, but it wasn't a typical brig.

While I don't have a source on-hand, I recall reading that a typical brig's crew was the size mentioned in your first post (i.e. 12-16). It included the captain, first mate, sometimes a second mate, a cook and crew. But I know you're looking for British Naval Brig; the crew complement I'm talking about would be for a merchant brig.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but basically just wanted to alert you that the Beagle is unlikely to be a good model in terms of crew complement given its specific survey role.

DavidZahir
01-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the head's up!