British Navy Brigantine

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
About what would the crew complement be in an early 19th century brig in the British Royal navy? During peacetime. In general I know they should carry a crew of 12-16, and I'm presuming that would include at least two or three officers. But am I correct?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Okay, what I did was go to a list of the crew of HMS Beagle and got this:

1 Captain (rank: Lieutenant)
2 Lieutenants
5 Midshipmen
1 Royal Marine Serjeant
7 Royal Marines
49 Crew

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Brig and Brigantine are different vessels -- different rigging. From the little I understand, a brig is two-masted and square-rigged.

The HMS Beagle started life as a brig, but was converted to a survey ship (either a barque or sloop-brig -- I'm not sure which, but it wasn't a typical brig.

While I don't have a source on-hand, I recall reading that a typical brig's crew was the size mentioned in your first post (i.e. 12-16). It included the captain, first mate, sometimes a second mate, a cook and crew. But I know you're looking for British Naval Brig; the crew complement I'm talking about would be for a merchant brig.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but basically just wanted to alert you that the Beagle is unlikely to be a good model in terms of crew complement given its specific survey role.