Question: Illustrations

Winterborne

Greetings,

I have a question concerning illustrations. As an illustrator and writer, should I send (copies or dummies) of my illustrations with my submissions? I understand that some agents get annoyed of illustrations. Does this count if they are copies of your own?

Winterborne

It's a novel for middle grade readers (fantasy). I have illustrations for the cover and small pictures for chapter headings. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Don't include the illustrations at all. Presumably, if you're seeking an agent, you're looking to get published by a commercial publisher. For anything other than children's picture books written by an author/illustrator, the publisher handles cover art and interior illustration (if any).

If you're a professional artist, you may be able to talk this issue over with the agent (or publisher) once you get an offer, but for now I'd submit just the manuscript, and put the illustrations on hold.

- Victoria

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
It might be worth mentioning in your cover letter that you are also an illustrator and if the book is accepted, then you would like to put forward some illustrations for chapter headings. Include three examples. Copies, not originals. If they fit on one sheet of A4, all the better. What you don't want to do is pull the focus away from your writing.