PDA

View Full Version : Youth Culture in Australia circa 1999/2000

DeeJaySee
01-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I have a WIP set in Brisbane at the turn of the millennium. I wasn't much aware of music or pop culture at the time, and I was wondering if anyone around here has any specific memories of the period spanning from mid-'99 into the first half of 2000 - memories of touring bands, big acts or live gigs that took place in Brisbane as well as any significant television moments.

All I can really remember from this period is hearing that damn Natalie Imbruglia song over and over again, which is pretty much why I'm reaching out for ideas. I'd love to hear from anyone who may have been on the bohemian side of things, especially if familiar with West End, Southbank, the Valley and the CBD.

Bonus points to anyone who can name a musical artist who toured Brisbane in the first half of the year 2000.

Got some familiar ideas of anything I've mentioned or have something interesting to say about this period and place? I'd love to hear about it!

alleycat
01-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Bonus points to anyone who can name a musical artist who toured Brisbane in the first half of the year 2000.
Maybe Savage Garden, May 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkOs6iFGSE0

Let me know if you can't view the video (sometimes you can't in another country). It's a video of Savage Garden in Brisbane in 2000.

DeeJaySee
01-22-2011, 04:33 PM
At the risk of exposing my manifold taste in music, you totally just reminded me I was at that show...

alleycat
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
At the risk of exposing my manifold taste in music, you totally just reminded me I was at that show...
This is getting surreal . . . I thought it was odd enough that I knew about a tour date in Australia.

MissMacchiato
01-22-2011, 04:42 PM
this might help - top 40 countdown for the year 2000:

http://www.take40.com/music/number-ones/year?year=2000&movideo_m=7079

you could also try looking at the songs on the Triple J hottest 100 lists, volume 7 and 8 would cover the years you want :)

DeeJaySee
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
you could also try looking at the songs on the Triple J hottest 100 lists, volume 7 and 8 would cover the years you want :)
I'm all over it - even got the volumes for the second half of the decade just to get into the era. It really must have been a magical time to be a young adult.

The most nostalgic thing I can remember of that time was the Nokia 3210 and how for about three or four years after the millennium, everyone had this phone (or one of the subsequent 'brick' models).

alleycat
01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
The thing I most remember is people thinking all the computers in the world were going to shut down at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2000 (well, that, and that stupid Prince song that they played 60 times a day). I know people who took their money out of the bank.

DeeJaySee
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
I heard about stuff like that happening in the U.S., but I don't remember seeing much of that in Australia. Although I'm sure there were lots of survivalists out in the suburbs, stocking up on canned goods and fresh water.

Ms Hollands
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing a millennium bug soft toy for sale!

Regarding the bands, what if you went to the website for the Big Day Out or googled Big Day Out 2000? I went to the one in Melbourne that year but I've forgotten who actually played as I'd been lots before that year too. Most of the bands who play at the BDO also play a separate gig. I bet Spiderbait played: they played at loads of the BDOs back then.

MissMacchiato
01-23-2011, 02:10 AM
lol I remember 3210s! I can't remember the first ever phone I bought, I think it was the one after that.

I remember I was obsessed with my 6100 a few years later, and the pink clamshell samsung I had was too epic for words, lol.

DeeJaySee
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Researching BDO is a great idea I hadn't thought of. Cheers, Miss Hollands! Also big thanks to Alleycat, since the Savage Garden concert actually works into a plot point.

Can anyone remember any infamous deaths around this time? Notable TV shows that ended or began? I'm not explicitly discussing anything in detail, but rather alluding to some of these things as a way of setting the period.

EDIT:
I'd also love to hear about the club/pub scene around this time. I'm guessing the same places that were doing business back then are the same ones still operating today, but if anyone has any specific memories or insights, I'd love to hear about them.

Ms Hollands
01-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Seinfeld ended in 2000 I think.

It's a pity it's set in Brisbane and not Melbourne, as 1999 was my last full year in Australia so my memories of the most recent pubs and clubs are from the era you need. Not much use to you though, being such a long distance away from Brizzy.

DeeJaySee
01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Got any significant memories anyway? I'm not entirely bound by truth here. Were there any pubs or clubs that stand out in your memory?

alleycat
01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Can anyone remember any infamous deaths around this time? Notable TV shows that ended or began? I'm not explicitly discussing anything in detail, but rather alluding to some of these things as a way of setting the period.
Wiki and other sites will have timelines by year, including deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000

Ms Hollands
01-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Got any significant memories anyway? I'm not entirely bound by truth here. Were there any pubs or clubs that stand out in your memory?

Yeah, definitely! But they do have a very Melbourne feel to them. For example, seeing Even play at The Punters Club in good old Brunswick Street before it closed a few years later, seeing Ice Cream Hands play at the Hi Fi Bar in support of Reef (but I suspect that was 1998), seeing Spiderbait and You Am I playing at The Forum, with its beautiful statues and big blue sky dome (like Brixton Acadamy but bigger - amazing), having my farewell party at The Lounge in Swanston Street on a warm summer's day, and of course New Years Eve fireworks in town, followed by sneaky free entrance into a club despite most clubs charging $20+ entrance, then thinking we were great to take all the colourful shot glasses home (even though they were disposable plastic - we were too drunk to notice), taking the free public transport home (all trains and trams - possibly buses too were free all night to reduce drink-drivers on NYE), getting piggy-backed to my friend's home by their lovely cousin visiting from Cairns, then watching Paris and London celebrate midnight before going to bed after sunrise.

Georgina
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I think I bought my first dvd player in 1999 or 2000. Everybody had a copy of The Matrix.

Nokia phones were huge, yeah. I had an 8850 (http://www.mobilesdata.com/Nokia/Nokia_8850.html) that cost about the same as an iPhone does now and had no colour screen, no camera, no web browser and no email. I loved that phone, though. So light and pretty!

Pop music wise, Britney Spears was just starting to take off. …Baby One More Time was released in 1999 and became the second highest-selling single in Australia that year. I remember The Offspring's Pretty Fly For a White Guy was everywhere, as was Backstreet Boys' I Want It That Way. Wikipedia has a list of the Top 25 singles for 1999 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_25_singles_for_1999_in_Australia) and 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_25_singles_for_2000_in_Australia) in Australia.

Although it wasn't atop the charts, female-driven music was also big. I was heavily into singler-songwriters like Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Indigo Girls, Ani DiFranco, Heather Nova, Fiona Apple and Dar Williams. The all-female tour Lilith Fair was happening overseas, and there were a number of tours here by female artists. Shows I saw in Australia around that time: Ani DiFranco, Heather Nova, Yo La Tengo, Tiddas. I also saw Spiderbait play the Annandale Hotel and they were awful. We left half-way through.

Can't help with signifigant tv moments, as I didn't watch tv from 1996 - 2000, but I did later catch up with Buffy, Friends and Seinfeld on dvd.

Cheers.