PDA

View Full Version : never had this

ashira
01-22-2011, 05:33 AM
I probably need a beta reader/mentor for what I have written so far but I'm kind scared. Just b/c i think what I have as is most people will hate. I have a good imagination but beyond that I need an editor. BAD!

CACTUSWENDY
01-22-2011, 06:26 AM
You may want to expand on your request a bit more. What genre is it? Length? An idea of what you are looking for.....such as, line by line, content, plot holes, ect. Do you have thick skin?

Best wishes.

ashira
01-22-2011, 07:08 AM
well, it is Christian. I am actaully in the process of writing. I need somebody to partner with me while I write to keep me motivated. I don't always have thick skin, but I need to grow one. I have had an editor tell me I would have better luck self-publishing it than getting accepted by publisher. And I agree with them. It is just a matter of figuring out what is best amazon, lulu? smashwords? I am reading everything on here and going yikes!

You may want to expand on your request a bit more. What genre is it? Length? An idea of what you are looking for.....such as, line by line, content, plot holes, ect. Do you have thick skin?

Best wishes.

mt_si_dad
01-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Good luck! Sounds like you need a little shot in the arm to get your encouragement up.

What do you need in a partner? I mean, specifically what your expectations are and what your needs are? What would be a good partner experience and what, to you, would be disastrous?

I know for me that I think I'd find it hard to partner with someone because they might try to change what I'm writing. I mean, they might try to take over or tell me what to do.

Hope things work out for you.

ashira
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
well i need someone who is a Christian and there for understands the symbolism and allegory I am trying to use in my writing. I also need someone who at least recognizes that I am creative and have a big imagination but can help me watch for trouble spots I might have asa writer.

What do you need in a partner? I mean, specifically what your expectations are and what your needs are? What would be a good partner experience and what, to you, would be disastrous?

Cyia
01-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Why don't you start small? Get your post count up to 50, then start a thread in Share Your Work with a small sample posted. Then you can get some feedback based on that sample and see what your trouble spots are.

Calla Lily
01-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Without having seen your writing, I do want to comment on this:

I have had an editor tell me I would have better luck self-publishing it than getting accepted by publisher.

That is one editor's opinion, and on your work as it stood at the time you showed it to him.her. Self-publishing could be the right option for your book, but I suggest getting other opinions first, along with beta readers. Also following cyia's excellent suggestion of gettin gto know the AW community, reaching the 50-post mark, and putting a sample of your work in SYW.

Good luck!

ashira
01-23-2011, 04:05 AM
u r all very kind. Thank you!

Receding Waters
01-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Just read the posts for this thread...
Ashira, if you feel you have a story to tell, tell it. Write it out the best you know how. I agree with getting your post count up to fifty, though. As you can see, I just succeeded at that myself. As a Christian, I can see why you'd think your material wouldn't be easily marketable to publishers, but take a look around Borders or Barnes and Noble...or better yet, Bereans. There are Christian fiction sections all over the place.
And another thought...symbolism and allegory are some of the staple crops of literature. You can put a Christ figure in Narnia or the Matrix and people will catch it. Most, if not all, writers will pick out Christian symbolism before anything else, so don't be too cornered by needing to find a Christian partner. I had an atheist take a look at a WIP that had major Christian undertones, and she enjoyed it. Actually, it was good feedback.
I'd love to take a look at some of your material, but I am by no means mentor material--strictly an extra set of eyes and comments that may or may not help you. PM, IM, e-mail...telepathic message, or homing pigeon works if you're interested.

-Receding Waters (Also a biblical allusion)