Have you ever 'fired' an agent?

KookyKat

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Which of you have left agents and gone on to find a new one? Can you share your stories: so why did you leave your first agent, how did you severe ties and what happened after? Or if you don't want to go inot detail, any advice / thoughts.

Thanks, KK

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Many people have left agents here. Several of them found representation afterward, others are still looking.

Some might be willing to share, others might not.

I left my agent for several reason, including his disinterest in my other novels than the one he signed me for and the fact that the one he was interested he wanted to change to the point that only the basic premise would stay the same.

I'm going to move this to Ask the Agent, since it is not a YA specific question (however, a recent YA member has posted about getting new representation in here recently).

Are you having difficulties with your agent, I assume?

siouxnyc

Registered
Reaction score
i did. it was amicable - and done via email - and i signed with another soon after. ain't no thang. if the relationship isn't moving forward, it isn't moving forward.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sure. Sometimes you just don't have the same goals, or the same approach, or you just don't communicate well. Agent/writer is about business, and when your business calls for a change, you make the change. . The only time it was a tough decision was when I had a chance to do some serious ghosting, but part of the deal meant going with a particular agent.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I left my agent early last fall, and am still looking for another. It's not always easy to get another agent. I know that there's no guarantee I will. But I still believe I made the right decision.

Whatever's going on, you might ask yourself whether, if you still don't have new representation a year from now, or two years from now, you'd still make the choice to leave.

Because sometimes people have a new agent within a month, and sometimes people are still trying years later. So there's no guarantee it will be no big deal.

However, if it were me and I had serious concerns and the agent hadn't yet started shopping my work, I'd break it off ASAP, because once the agent starts shopping your stuff, things can get more complicated.

Also, check your contract if you have one. Read carefully to see what it says about how and when you can leave, and what this means for your work.

tengraceapples

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest it got to the point where my agent needed babysitting. And you can't take care of your end and your agents end too. He was the first to believe in me. I cried when I dropped him.

But make no mistake: It was the right thing to do.

Its business and nothing more.

I got signed a month later but even if i didnt get someone new, i needed to move on.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I left one agency and fired one agent.

The agency I left had changed significantly from when I signed with them (we had good success from the outset). The agent I initially signed with left and though I gave it a shot, there wasn't anyone else there who was a good fit for me. Couple that with having met a couple of good prospective agents at a conference, I withdrew from that agency.

I signed with one of the agents from that conference, but he proved to be a flake (putting it nicely). He was actually a great editor (his initial career), and made some good suggestions for my proposals. But 6 months after I made the suggested changes and sent them to him, he hadn't submitted them to anyone--not even the publishers who'd already requested them. Thus, the firing.

PS--Yes, I have another agent. There was a significant gap between the past and current as I was waiting for the elusive "best" one for me. Passed on a couple of opportunities and shopped around before landing (happily) where I am currently.

Last edited:

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I've fired two. One was a bad fit, and one was MIA. Both were really well-respected agents and had clients that loved them, but we were a bad fit. I'm very happy with my current agent.

Almost everyone I know has changed agents at least once. It's just part of the business.