PDA

View Full Version : Heads up scam email

brainstorm77
01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought I would mention that I got a new scam email today. This one claimed to be from CIBC Bank. Of course I just deleted it and did not click the link. I don't even have an account with this bank.

It's the first time I spotted this one. So, I thought I'd give a heads up.

Bmwhtly
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
From a bank?

What are they trying to scam from us? Hate mail?

brainstorm77
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
I said, 'claimed to be from CIBC.'

Jersey Chick
01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I've gotten bogus Bank of America emails. It comes in the form of an alert and is usually something along the lines of "We need to verify your account because someone has attempted to change your info" yadda yadda yadda.

Fortunately, BOA's website has a section where you can verify whether or not they actually sent you any alerts. So far, not one of the "we need to verify your info" emails has been legitimate.

brainstorm77
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't even have a CIBC account. The bank that I deal with has never sent me an email. I access any messages for me regarding my account through their online site.

Ambrosia
01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Whether from banks, Paypal, or whatnot, I forward those types of emails to security at the place being targeted. It gives them a head's up in case they do not know about it yet and I usually get one of their form letters back thanking me for notifying them and not to click on any link within the email, yada yada yada.

brainstorm77
01-21-2011, 08:27 PM
No bank would ever ask you to confirm account information through a link in an email.

Cliff Face
01-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Speaking of spam, if anyone here happens to have a deviantArt account, you've probably received some spam recently. Their site was hacked (or the program they use or something).

I only got 3 spams from the hackers so far, but it could've been a lot worse.

alleycat
01-22-2011, 03:02 AM
No bank would ever ask you to confirm account information through a link in an email.
That was what I was going to say.

Don't even open any attachments.

Medievalist
01-22-2011, 03:22 AM
My favorite phishing email is one that purports to be from the FBI--complete with a graphic of the FBI seal.

brainstorm77
01-22-2011, 03:37 AM
What tipped me off was how they signed it. 'Security Team.' :ROFL:

Kidding. I knew it was a scam. Like I said, no bank sends an email out like that.

alleycat
01-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Speaking of spam and phishing e-mails . . .

There was an article in USA Today last week about one of the major spamming operations in Russia shutting down. That's good, but there was some worry that they might just be regrouping to use their "talents" in some new and unexpected way.

Rowan
01-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Whether from banks, Paypal, or whatnot, I forward those types of emails to security at the place being targeted. It gives them a head's up in case they do not know about it yet and I usually get one of their form letters back thanking me for notifying them and not to click on any link within the email, yada yada yada.

Yep, me too. Get messages from Banks I've never had an account with and they go straight to the fraud department's inbox. I found examples of most of the scams online too (recurring scams listed on the various banks' websites).

Jersey Chick
01-22-2011, 05:40 AM
The scam BOA one looked as official as the real BOA email, it was the content that gave me pause. BOA will email me to let me know if someone has accessed my account (which is funny, because I'm the only one in my house who does anything with the acct online. So they basically tell me that I looked up my account. :D), or when I've made changes to my basic info. They've never sent me anything asking for info, just FYIs.

Medievalist
01-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Things to watch for:

Links that don't really go where they seem to go; it says amazon.com

but it really goes to www.amazon.com/kulshan.com.frisly.php

Basic English grammar and spelling errors

Addressing you with excessive formality or excessive friendliness

Asking you to click anything or go anywhere or provide any information.

They don't need your password or ID or account number; they don't want it.

brainstorm77
06-28-2011, 05:54 PM
I tend to get a lot of these in my spam boxes. Here are few that make me smirk:

Dear Winner!!!This is to inform you that your email address has been emerged as the winner of ($10 Million USD) in the publishers clearing house Lotto.For details of claims,Send us your full name and home address asap.Contact E-mail: publishersclearinghouselotto@yahoo.cnFill out the form and send it to the Fiduciary Agent for VALIDATION...Winner Name Address: Country: Occupation: Mobile Telephone No: Fax No:E-mail address: Age: Marital Status: CONGRATULATIONS!!!At your disposal,Very Truly Yours,Notification OfficerRegardsMr.Jose Mark

Dear Friend,

I am Mr. Handy Astrid I work as the Foreign Operations Manager with one of the international bank here in Burkina Faso. Although the world is very small place and hard place to meet people because you don't know who to trust or believe, but as I have developed the trust in you after my fasting and praying, i made up my mind to confide this confidential business suggestion to you.

Be rest assure that everything will be handled confidentially because, this is a great opportunity we cannot afford to miss, as it will make our family profit allot.

It has been 7 years ago, that most of the greedy African Politicians used our bank to Launder money overseas through the help of their Political advisers.

Most of the funds which they transferred out of the shores of Africa was gold and oil money that was supposed to have been used to develop the continent.

The Political advisers always inflated the amounts before transfer to foreign accounts so I also used the opportunity to divert part of the funds hence I am aware that there is no official trace of how much was transferred as all the accounts used for such transfers were being closed after transfer.

I acted as the Account Officer to most of the politicians and when i discovered that they were using me to succeed in their greedy act, I also cleaned some of their banking records from the Bank files and no body cares to ask me because the money was too much for them to control.

As am sending this message to you, I was able to divert Ten Million five Hundred thousand United State Dollars ($10.5M) to an escrow account that belonging to no body in the bank.

Now the bank is very anxious to know who is the real beneficiary of the funds because they have made a llot of profits with the funds. It has been more than five years now and most of the politicians are no longer using our bank to transfer funds overseas, majority of them don't have the power again, because their tenure has expired. The $10.5 Million Dollars has been lying in the bank as unclaimed fund.

I will soon retire from the bank and without wasting time i will like the fund to be release into your account, so that i will come to your country for the sharing of the fund, The money will be shared 60% for me and 40% for you .There's no one that is going to ask you any question about the funds because everything is well secured by me.

If you are interested in this transaction, do not hesitate to reply me back, but if you are not interested delete my message from your box.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Mr.Handy Astrid.

Your e-mail address have won you the sum of EUR U879,080 (EIGHT HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE THOUSAND EUROS ONLY) in the Euro Millions International Online 2011 Lottery Promotion. Please contact the office below for claim and details with the following information, Send us your full Name: Tel Mobile Number : Country: and Home Address . Occupation: Age:
Mr. Luis Alvaro
Liberty Security Service.
Email: scam@mcscammer.com
Once again Congratulations from members of ONLINE INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY BOARD.
Sincerely Yours.
Mrs.Jeniffer Sanchez.
Publications Department

:evil

Eudoxia
06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I got a couple of e-mails last month from friends giving me a link to a site that they say helped them out with financial issues (of course I never clicked on those links). When I asked my friends about it they had no idea what I was talking about and told me that they certainly had no financial issues and never went on some site for help.

I also got a couple of e-mails from sites that I have never heard of telling me that I need to give them my name, phone number and address as my account had been hacked and they need to make sure that all my information is safe.

I would think that hackers would be smart enough by now to make a more authentic looking e-mail when they're trying to be somebody else or pose as a company.