• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Writer's Group / Mentor / Buddy / Whip Wielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
So we committed to WorldCon this week and paid our dues. But I have some goals. I want to go to WorldCon and be able to say, "Yes, I have a draft in progress/first edit/etc."

But I write crap in a vacuum. I really truly do.

I'm looking for like-minded writers who will be a regular reminder that I've gotta produce something, and that I have to have someone to answer to. My husband just won't cut it. (I love him dearly, but this is not something I can do with him for a variety of reasons.)

I'm currently juggling three projects; a Steampunk/Crime Noir hybrid (think clockwork criminals, but in a much darker theme then you usually get from urban fantasy or 'vampire detectives'), a YA Urban Fantasy with a Faerie Knight protagonist, and the tongue-in-cheek fantasy about a once-famous con-man coming out of retire in a game of pawns between some very cranky small gods.

The latter project is the largest and least likely to be used -- it's pretty massive, more worldbuilding is needed, and it intimidates me the most, because the characters in it have been around longer then any of the others. The YA has the least set details, but I've never written for the YA audience. The Steampunk noir requires more research, but I've got a solid foundation without it being as overwhelming as the other, so it's my lead project.

Would anybody know of groups that would work with me -- online or offline (in my local area, natch, which is the SLC Valley, in Utah), or someone who would be interested in mentoring me as I work for the next seven months?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. I think maybe AW should set up a service members can sign up for, where we send daily nagging shaming scolding motivational emails reminding us all to write...

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I think maybe AW should set up a service members can sign up for, where we send daily nagging shaming scolding motivational emails reminding us all to write...

Let me be the first--okay, second after Murder--to subscribe. Time them with my wake-up texts.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be game for that! I'm terrible with setting deadlines for myself.

Really, I think people might be confused by my post, and I'm sorry for that. I have not any 'worthy' work at the moment; I'm looking for people just starting projects, or who will mentor those who are, and so forth. And yes, that would include some level of mutual sounding board and slave driving.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
The folks on the chat room tend to remind each other to write (when we're not talking about food or whatevah...).

PM me -- I'll give you my email address. I don't have a day job and I love to help writers. I'm slowly writing a UF/paranormal romance.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I like food. I'm being a terrible weenie today and just making spaghetti. It's game night.

PM is sent like whoa, though.

jenga

Level 1 Daddy
Registered
Reaction score

It should come with a USB device that pokes you on the shoulder and says "how much did you write today?"

MurderOfCrows: PM me and let's pester each other into meeting our quotas. I'm doing an epic fantasy piece right now, and I need as much motivation as I can get.

dragonangel517

A.K.A CoffeeWench
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I am up for this as long as you return the favor. Pm me for the exciting...er, mind boggling... ok, totally confusing details of my WIP, and maybe we can help each other out.

LfB

Registered
Reaction score
Can I get in on this, perchance?
Mac, that's a fantastic idea. I am all for it!

I write/read in quite a few genres, but right now I'm working on a contemporary romance/gen fic project, a YAish paranormal romance, and an urban fantasy end of the world type story.

I know I work better when I have to answer to someone(s).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.