What are you currently reading?

1000th Sun

Registered
Reaction score
Besides your own manuscripts. ;)

I'm currently reading a book my uncle gave me to read since he thinks I should read it. It's The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler. It talks about Peak Oil. I've gotten through 1/3 of it or so. It basically goes like this:

-Puts a commonly held belief-
-Says belief is false and this is why-
-PEAK OIL WILL KILL US ALL-
Rinse and Repeat

I'm looking forward to reading Slaughterhouse Five though after that :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The last book I read was "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson. Since then, I've started 2 other books, for a period of about 1 hour total between them, and not gone back to them for 2 days, so they don't count.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
The last book I read was "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson. Since then, I've started 2 other books, for a period of about 1 hour total between them, and not gone back to them for 2 days, so they don't count.

Ooh, I love Bryson's writing. :D I'm reading "A Short History of Private Life" right now. Haven't read "A Walk in the Woods" yet though. :)

~Amber~

Leslie Williams

Leslie Williams
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish James Patterson's "Witch & Wizard". Wish I were reading a new Dresden novel by Butcher.

Wish I weren't waiting for a new book by at least 4-5 different authors....

leslie

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I love Bryson's writing. :D I'm reading "A Short History of Private Life" right now. Haven't read "A Walk in the Woods" yet though. :)

~Amber~

I've read that one too. I love nearly all of his books. But I couldn't get into the ones about language... it was really heavy reading just to get 40 pages into one of those language books.

I really liked his one on Shakespeare, but my favourite one by Bryson is Neither Here Nor There, the one about Europe.

I'm a little sad though... my sister and I own nearly every one of his books together, but she's moving out tomorrow (which I'm not sad about). Anyway, she has more of his books than I do. I had 4, but currently have 3 because sis borrowed the 4th one and now we don't know which one it was, so I said to not bother figuring it out, and called it a housewarming gift.

So I only have 3 of his books, 2 of which I've read recently, and a real yearning to read the rest of them. But I can't, unless I come up with the money to buy the rest of them. *sigh*

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Currently reading:

Kushiel's Dart - Carey
Wizard's First Rule - Goodkind
Anne of the Island - Montgomery

And there's a stack of nonfiction books here.

Next in the line up:

A Game of Thrones
Death at Bishop's Keep

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Currently reading BLACK MAGIC SANCTION by Kim Harrison and SHADOWFEVER by Karen Marie Moning.

Have a zillion more waiting in the queue, but plan on taking a reading break after this so I can catch up with deadlines and everything else. :p

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain.

ETA: Slaughterhouse Five is excellent. If you don't like the sci-fi elements, try Mother Night or any of this short stories, especially Armageddon in Retrospect or Watch the Birdie. Vonnegut is one of 5 writers I'd take to another planet.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

SlightlyEpic

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking...

Well, right now I'm reading this forum thread!

Actually, I'm reading a very good book on the Korean war, but not right now. :)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I love it so far, although it's been a real challenge at times. Hugo writes very smoothly but the book is like...two million pages long. (Actually 1,260 pages, but that's close enough). And Hugo goes off on a lot of tangents -- I mean, do we really need to read 50 pages of details about the battle of Waterloo, or 40 pages about the origins of a certain Catholic convent? :tongue

Still, it's a really amazing novel, and I have the feeling that when I get to the end it will shoot to the top of my All-Time Favorite Books list.

Countdown: Only 400 more pages to go...

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
I'm reading Kelley Armstrong's 'Waking the Witch'. It's the first book by her I've gotten the chance to read. Now I plan on finding and reading all her books.