THIS is how you handle a rejection :)

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
(Agent's words are in bold type; what's crazy is I'm actually getting used to rejections... it's all good... look how many rejections the great writers have received...)

Subject: Your Query
To: http://us.mc564.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected]
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 2:26 PM

Dear Author,

Thank you for your good offer to let us consider your work. We must decline, but do so wishing you best luck in finding the right agent, or better yet, a publisher.

Sincerely,
--
John M. Cusick

Scott Treimel NY
www.ScottTreimelNY.com

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Kevin wrote:
Thank you for the kind response, Mr. Cusick. I believe that I have another story that might better fit your needs but it won't be complete for a couple more months. I'll query then.

Warm regards,

Kevin A. ********

Thanks very much, Kevin. We look forward to it.
Best,
-John

John M. Cusick

Scott Treimel NY
www.ScottTreimelNY.com

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice and professional.

(Just a caution: you might want to delete any contact information for yourself and the agent in anything you post here. You never know who--including spambots--are looking. Also, the agent might not appreciate the details getting out)

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Please edit the contact info out of the post. :)
and yes, it looks like you handled the rejection properly. Recently he posted on Twitter that someone replied to his rejection email with "My name's not 'author'" or some such nonsense. I'm sure he preferred your reply.

gacaruso

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
There are times some writers think they're the only ones to get rejection. This is a professional response that my lead to results later. Thanks for sharing this.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Politeness and professionalism ALWAYS pay off! Thank you's aren't always a necessity, but sometimes they can pave the way later on. They have for me in a few instances.

Hope it does for you. He seems to be a great agent!

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Being polite to a rejection probably won't ever get you a "Never mind, I'll read your MS," but I decided to apply the original poster's advice to all my rejections from here on out.

rebmacrath

Registered
Reaction score
Tough advice sometimes to follow, but the momentary satisfaction of a suicidal retort can't compare with the enduring pride of being a class act.

Paul J Andrew

Reborn! Or reincarnated? Rebooted?
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you for your good offer to let us consider your work. We must decline, but do so wishing you best luck in finding the right agent, or better yet, a publisher.
http://www.scotttreimelny.com/

Is it me or does this read a little like some of those Nigerian money scam emails that float around every so often?

Thank you for your good offer, wishing you best luck... I dunno. Maybe it's just me :)

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Is it me or does this read a little like some of those Nigerian money scam emails that float around every so often?
You know things are bad when you're getting rejected by Nigerian money scams.

Paul J Andrew

Reborn! Or reincarnated? Rebooted?
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's just a polite form rejection. I had one of those. It's meaningless.

I just thought, "oh well" and moved on. If the agent didn't like my style, they were the wrong agent for me. Plenty more fish in the sea - and some are biting :)

I didn't mean to imply it was anything other than that, just that it read a little goofy to me.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I guess a polite rejection letter is not as bad.

George, think of it this way. No rejection letter is bad, because it helps thicken our skin against one of the givens of writing, and it also moves us closer to finding an agent who is really excited about our work and representing us.

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
I've always heard* that you shouldn't respond to a form rejection (or really, any rejection except those that encourage revisions and resubmitting in the future), since agents get so many emails and it's just one more they have to open and delete. Is this not what you guys have heard? I'm (admittedly) very new to this process, so I'm still working out all the usual conventions.

*Mostly from agent blogs

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I've always heard* that you shouldn't respond to a form rejection (or really, any rejection except those that encourage revisions and resubmitting in the future), since agents get so many emails and it's just one more they have to open and delete. Is this not what you guys have heard? I'm (admittedly) very new to this process, so I'm still working out all the usual conventions.

*Mostly from agent blogs

This is my preferred course of action. The only positive outcome to an e-mail conversation like the above is that they might recognize your name in the future -- but I doubt that's enough to make them request a book they're not interested in. Plus, for every agent who responds this kindly, several other agents will be annoyed that you're filling up their inbox.

If you get a particularly fast and/or personalized rejection on a partial or full, it's a different story. Some agents still don't like getting responses to their rejections, but I've also read about plenty of other agents who do appreciate a short, kind word of 'thanks'. So it's up to you at that point.

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense, thanks. I agree that a partial or full read would necessitate a thank you, but a query reject is probably best left alone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I never respond to a form rejection. What's the point? Editors and agents are busy enough as it is, and no matter how they reply to your reply, nothing changes. You either send them something they think will sell, or you don't.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I never respond to a form rejection. What's the point? Editors and agents are busy enough as it is, and no matter how they reply to your reply, nothing changes. You either send them something they think will sell, or you don't.

This. Plus I've seen agent blogs where they say it doesn't hurt you to reply, but it doesn't help them either because it just makes another email they have to weed through in their endless stack of emails.