Anybody going to Glorieta Christian Writer's Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody going to Glorieta Christian Writer's Conference? (10/26-10/30)

My adrenalin is surging. I just registered yesterday to go, and am trying to get writing samples gathered and courage mustered (to meet with editors). It sounds SO good, with over 70 different workshops, and many editors in attendance. The continuing session I've signed up for (nonfiction books) is being taught by Bucky Rosenbaum (former literary agent for Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life). I'm also looking forward to a workshop on devotional writing taught by the Upper Room editor, and some workshops on poetry and songwriting.

Anybody else from AW going??

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Pat, I am, for the sixth year in a row. Matter of fact, I'm teaching there this year (first time doing that for me). My name's John Robinson, by the way; I'll look forward to saying hi to you!

John

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Glorieta

I'm goin to Glorieta. I've been to numerous conferences but this is my first time there. I'll be taking Brandilyn Collin's fiction track. I've corresponded with Brandilyn and know her from other venus. She's an amazing teacher and speaker. Her book, "Getting into Character" is one of the best on the market. I use it when I teach classes on characterization because her examples are very visual and easy to understand. I just spoke with Nancy C. Anderson who will also be teaching there this year. She's asked me t submit a pitch to teach classes there next year :hooray:. I would love that!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
John, Louise, I'll keep an eye out for you--hope to meet you there! Sounds like both of you are fiction writers, so I may not run into you in those classes...Good luck with your workshops, John; hope you get to go back as teacher there next year, Louise!

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Meet The Pro Sessions

pb10220 said:
Sounds like both of you are fiction writers, so I may not run into you in those classes...
Actually, my two books are both nonfiction but they were written using creative nonfiction techniques. I have a one novel complete that needs a good rewrite and an other knocking around in my head. That's one of the reasons I wanted to take the fiction track. I also facilitate the North Jersey Christian Writers' Group (NJCWG) where I teach a class twice each month. I need to stay abreast of numerous genres to keep up with our very sharp members ;). We may come across each other at some of the meet the pro sessions though. You signed up for any of those?

pb10220 said:
Good luck with your workshops, John; hope you get to go back as teacher there next year, Louise!
Thanks. I'm praying that God direct me wherever He can use me.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Louise, I signed up so late, most of the roundtable sessions were full, but I am interested in attending Jim Robinson's "Writing for People in Recovery" Sat. nite. (One of my books concerns depression and addiction.) I won't be able to sign up until I get there, so I'll see what's still available. Which ones are you attending?

P.S. I enjoyed visiting your website. We share some things in common; (I grew up in northern NJ, and my master's is in gifted education).

Last edited:

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the Glorieta conference was wonderful, a good investment of time, and I enjoyed getting to meet Gravity (John) there, too! I highly recommend this conference for Christian writers of all genre--good variety of workshops, and organized so that you actually do have plenty of opportunity to meet with editors and agents.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
After Glorieta

To say that the conference was excellent is an understatement. My head still swims with all that I learned. There were dozens of well known authors there. Some were teaching, others simply attended classes, and many who were on staff took advantage of the classes during their their off times - and why not! We all have something to learn.

For my comprehensive classes I took the fiction track. Angela Hunt (author of over 70 novels) was teaching these classes. That woman is amazing. She made each class not only understandable but down right fun. What a blessing. Of course I bought the recorded CD's of the sessions so I wouldn't miss a single point. I also managed to buy about a dozen other classes (sigh).

If the classes were the only good thing about Glorieta it would have been enough ... but there was so much more. The worship was awe inspiring. The presense of God surrounded that place with every lifted hand. The devotions each morning and each evening were done by noted authors and each person made their time on stage into an offering to God. I bought a number of those CD's as well :Shrug: . James Scott Bell, NYTimes best selling author and columnist for Writers Digest, (http://www.jamesscottbell.com/index.html) was one of those who spoke to us through a devotional. He's one inspiring man. Brandilyn Collins (http://www.brandilyncollins.com/) was there as were the Cheetah Chicks, Tonya & Nancy (http://tonyanancy.blogspot.com/). Now there are girls who know how to have fun with Chick Lit! Kathy Pride (http://www.tapestryministry.com/) a new author that is really going places was such a blessing to me. You must check out her website! Nancy Anderson (she was on the Montel Willimas show) was an other author who just blew me away (http://nancycanderson.com/) with her genuine love, amazing message and heart for new authors. I don't want to just concentrate on the gals though, the guys were not left off my list. John Thuman (http://www.lifewaylink.com/templates/con14gl/default.asp?id=26963) influenced on me a great deal. We had a number of opportunites to talk and he and I shared coffee at the Chuck Wagon the evening that The Writers View met for a photo op. Oh! I almost forgot! I had a few nice chats, up-close and personal, with my agent, Janet Kobobel Grant (http://www.janetgrant.com/index.html) too. Seems she likes my latest book idea so I've got to get on the proposal right away :Clap:. Meeting with her was really special. She's a West Coast agent and I'm an East Coast author -- its hard for the two of us to get to the same place at the same time. She's been my agent for a few years but this is only the second time we've met in person!

Now I haven't even told you about all the editors, publishers, and up and coming authors I met. It was a week I will not soon forget.

Pictures are not yet on my blog but will be up there soon (www.njcwg.blogspot.com).

BTW, very new writers (no clips yet) might want to attend a smaller (mid-sized) conference before diving into Glorieta. This is one of the big-boys and it can be a bit overwhelming. But for those of you who have a few notchs on your belt already - DO consider Glorieta next year. I was asked to submit my class pitch-sheet and it looks like I might be on staff at Glorieta next year. That is SO cool :snoopy:. I get to teach AND get to go to all the other class for FREE. YEAH!!!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you get that invite, Louise!! It'll be easier to find you if you're on staff :). I'm sure you'd add much to the conference. Have to mention that I went to the nonfiction track led by Bucky Rosenbaum, the man who agented that little book called The Purpose Driven Life (28 million copies sold as of last week). Needless to say, he had a lot of knowledge to share about how to write a blockbuster nonfiction book. I, too, had to buy CD's of several of the classes--particularly ones missed due to appointments or other workshops attended.

I agree it might be overwhelming to complete newbies; it's a good conference to come to if you have some writing to bring and are serious about meeting with publishers. Get your feet wet locally first, but then come. Even if you don't want to meet with publishers, the professional writers are available for free critiquing one-on-one, and they have a wealth of experience to share. (There are paid critiques available as well.) And the atmosphere is just thick with inspiration and worship; I came home completely rejuvenated, and with a list of about a dozen things to do with all that energy! (posted in Goals and Accomplishments thread :)).

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
It was great, wasn't it? I had a blast. The workshops I conducted were fun, and amazingly, people actually showed up for them! Marita has a way of involving her staffers that's kinda cool. Plus it was good seeing friends again. All in all, tiring, but a neat time.

John

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Glorieta 2006

Hi everyone.
emoticonhi.gif
Its been a while since I posted. My day job is in finance and I've been up to my neck in year-end closing.

Just wanted to share with you that I have been asked to be on staff at the 2006 Glorieta Christian Writers' Conference. You can see their tenetative schedule at: http://www.classervices.com/CS_Glorieta_Schedule.htm

emoteClap.gif
I'll be teaching two classes - 1) Devotions 101 2) Know Your Audience

This is one of the better Christian writers conferences that I've attended - exceptionally organized, supurb instruciton, and amazing devotions & worship. It is worth every penny spent. Its not cheap though so now is the time to start saving your pennies

The Glorieta Christian Writers' Conference -- October 11-15, 2006 (Wed-Sun) and the weekend before (11/7-8/06) is the Albuquerque, New Mexico Balloon Festival -- right down the road. My husband and I plan to take the week vacationing in the area. Hope to see some of you there.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great! Maybe this time I'll meet you! (I write devotionals and would love to attend your workshop.) I'm tentatively planning to make this a yearly trip, being as how it is so close to where I live, and is SO inspirational. Had a wonderful time with the 2005 conference!

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Glorieta

Are you sure you were looking at the 2006 Glorieta schedule? I know Bucky was there this PAST October but I don't think he's scheduled to teach next October. I also know that I am teaching the Devotional workshop so I think it is unlikely the the editor from the Upper room is doing it as well in 2006. :)

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Idumont, I did go to Glorieta this past Oct. (2005) with Bucky and Upper Room, etc. (that's what most of the previous posts here referred to), but I was responding to your post above about the 2006 conference, in that I think I will be attending that one, too--and possibly attend the devotions workshop then, too (which you've mentioned you'll be teaching).

Status
Not open for further replies.