you sicko.

robeiae
01-19-2011, 07:23 PM
you sicko.
Perv.

Ert.

alleycat
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I start with something soft, then switch to something harder . . . harder, harder, harder!

Okay, okay, for sketching, a soft pencil. I don't use a pencil much for writing, for that I prefer a pen.

JimmyB27
01-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Can't remember the last time I picked up a pencil. Fountain pens ftw!

kayleamay
01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
You do not have an option for Zebra pens only. Fine point. Black ink. No gel. Retractable.

I find this poll disturbing.

tiny
01-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Ticonderoga Black, HB2. Unsharpened.

Vito
01-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I prefer jumbo-size kindergarten pencils. They fit my hand nicely, and I like the extra-large eraser on top. After I write with 'em, I always drink a small carton of chocolate milk and take a nap on the carpet.

Cathy C
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I have a prejudice against pencils because I'm left handed and spent my whole childhood erasing smears from where my pinkie would travel across the page.

I also don't use gel ink because it doesn't dry quickly enough. I'm a Bic Stick girl.

But it's why I learned to type fast, I think. Now it's easier to type than write anything longer than a post-it note. ;)

quickWit
01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
HB. Sharp enough to cut steel.

that is all.

rhymegirl
01-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I only use pencils to poke people like quickWit in the eye.

Mr Flibble
01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
You forgot the 'I don't care as long as a) I can find it and b) the lead isn't broken' option.

I swear by all that's holy, the pens and pencils in his house actively hide from me.

rhymegirl
01-19-2011, 08:49 PM
I start with something soft, then switch to something harder . . . harder, harder, harder!

Here's the pervert.

kayleamay
01-19-2011, 09:00 PM
You forgot the 'I don't care as long as a) I can find it and b) the lead isn't broken' option.

I swear by all that's holy, the pens and pencils in his house actively hide from me.

This is what happens when you have children. I try to remember to occasionally pick my children up by their ankles and shake them. You'd be amazed at the stuff that falls out.

Chris1981
01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I don't use pens or pencils much anymore. My handwriting's nearly illegible these days because I've spent so much time typing.

Not, mind you, that my penmanship was ever fantastic. :)

But when I do grab a pen, I prefer the larger-barrel G2 gel-ink variety, usually with a fine tip. And I strongly dislike blue ink for some reason.

LaurieD
01-19-2011, 09:41 PM

This would be my vote.

One of my favorite Christmas presents this year was from my Ms. Girl - she gave me a pencil box full of freshly sharpened pencils and erasers.

Apparently my griping about not being able to find a usuable pencil didn't fall on deaf ears after all.

:D

Mr Flibble
01-19-2011, 09:43 PM
This is what happens when you have children. I try to remember to occasionally pick my children up by their ankles and shake them. You'd be amazed at the stuff that falls out.

I'm thinking that won't work so well on the 12-year-old who is both taller and stronger than I am...

kayleamay
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Use a hydraulic lift.

bettielee
01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Can't remember the last time I picked up a pencil. Fountain pens ftw!

YEAH BABY!

but I do have need of a pencil on occasion, and use a mechanical one.

Cuz I'm living in the futures.

Lavern08
01-20-2011, 12:01 AM
I voted for Eggplant

Medievalist
01-20-2011, 12:03 AM
When I'm not using a key board or fountain pen, I use mechanical pencils.

I favor the Pilot Dr. Grip Limited 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil, Platinum Metallic Barrel, 36173 for use at home/office, and the small and suitable for a pocket Zebra #2 Mechanical Pencil 0.7mm Black; you can get 25 or so for under 10.00.

Cliff Face
01-20-2011, 02:24 AM
I write longhand in pen, type in pixels, but draw in HB.

So I voted HB.

Cliff Face
01-20-2011, 02:29 AM
I have a prejudice against pencils because I'm left handed and spent my whole childhood erasing smears from where my pinkie would travel across the page.

Y'know, when I first went to school and they were teaching us how to write, this is precisely why I wound up being right handed.

I actually started out comfortable with either hand. I would switch regularly trying to decide which hand I was more natural with. Eventually the smudging of my writing when using my left made me settle on being right-handed.

I'm still a little annoyed that my teacher kept pushing me to pick a hand though. At this point in my life, I'd be thrilled to still be ambidextrous. Heaven knows my musical skills would be a bit better and more natural!

I'm still ambidextrous with some things, just not all. I can't write with my left hand anymore, for instance, nor can I use a knife with my left hand (for cutting food, etc.).

So sad.

Silver King
01-20-2011, 07:11 AM
I use (https://www.dixonticonderoga.com/) "The World's Best Pencils" made by Ticonderoga, preferably the #3 version. Even the erasers are top notch.

1000th Sun
01-20-2011, 07:13 AM
I use pens but I don't mind #2 lead pencils for anything not writing related... Anyway that is the only pencil I've used to some big extent. I wasn't privileged enough to have a lead one. :P

Snowstorm
01-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Mechanical, thick lead. After a bad bout with damage to my right forearm, I switched from pens to pencil. Using a pencil didn't hurt my forearm. Now, pencils are a habit.

Leslie Williams
01-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Mechanical for purchase orders, various leads for drawing.

As always, an old Bic crystal plastic pen for writing.
leslie

Eudoxia
01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
I've noticed that I write a lot better in mechanical pencil's rather than wooden ones. I'll sometimes use a pen when I'm writing a final copy of something or when a pencil isn't around (because people have a tendency to borrow my things and then never give them back). :rant:

Medievalist
01-20-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm still ambidextrous with some things, just not all. I can't write with my left hand anymore, for instance, nor can I use a knife with my left hand (for cutting food, etc.).

So sad.

Practice. Seriously, it is extremely beneficial for all sorts of reasons--not the least of which is recovery after a stroke or other traumatic brain injury.

Being ambi is a huge advantage.

Cliff Face
01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Perhaps I can be ambivalent about being ambidextrous? :P

But yes, I think I should teach myself ambi-skills. I won't lie - I'm less concerned about strokes than I am about not being good enough at guitar to ever be satisfied when I record something. Perhaps it's because I'm still mid-20s, so strokes aren't too likely for me yet. (Though you can never rule them out.)

I've already started with some of those skills. If I'm eating food with my hands instead of a knife and fork (with KFC for instance) then I can happily do any number of combinations with eating and drinking. One hand holds the container, the other grabs the food... when I get thirsty during the meal, either hand will grab the drink. And I used to smoke with my right hand, but now smoke with my left (and it does actually feel more natural).

I have the inclination to become ambidextrous, but some things are frustrating to begin with. Like knives and forks, and pens.

Eh, we'll see how it turns out. :)

Perhaps I'll buy a cheap acoustic guitar (I can get one for about $30) that is left-handed?

Medievalist
01-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I have the inclination to become ambidextrous, but some things are frustrating to begin with. Like knives and forks, and pens.

Do please start trying, even if only as a joke or in private.

A dear friend of mine had a stroke, out of the blue, and had to relearn *everything*.

Cliff Face
01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
*nods agreement*

Cella
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Depends on my mood, but I'm not opposed to mechanical.

robeiae
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Good to know.

Lavern08
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
I use (https://www.dixonticonderoga.com/) "The World's Best Pencils" made by Ticonderoga, preferably the #3 version. Even the erasers are top notch.

Name dropper.

kayleamay
01-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Name dropper.

I know. Some people just try way too hard to be cool.

regdog
01-20-2011, 11:37 PM
My Snoopy pencil

Lavern08
01-21-2011, 01:30 AM
^ Walks on the wild side

RobJ
01-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Some time around 2007 I had a small piece of fiction up online, and back then the site owner used to send out a small gift to the authors. I received a pack of six pencils through the post embossed with the name of the site. I hadn't used a pencil for years, but starting using them for all writing. When the last one of those expired I bought a mechanical pencil and have been using it ever since. I'll never go back to using a pen.

Cliff Face
01-21-2011, 02:17 AM
I don't particularly like pencils. I only use them for sketches, and I'm terrible at sketches...

Jessianodel
01-21-2011, 02:20 AM
I love mechanical pencils because I can't stand pencil sharpeners. But I also hate that I can never use the eraser so I have to have one of those nearby. But for writing I mostly use pens.