PDA

View Full Version : Netflix is removing "Add to DvD queue" option.

LOG
01-19-2011, 05:57 PM
That's a lot of anger... (http://blog.netflix.com/2011/01/removing-add-to-dvd-queue-from.html)

Jcomp
01-19-2011, 06:19 PM
That's a bit goofy. I mean it's only on the "streaming" devices, but still, the set up they have now seems fine. I don't have Netflix, but being able to add a movie from my phone seems like a nice little option.

robeiae
01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Meh.

As it stands now, there are exactly eleven twelve devices in my house from which I can watch streaming Netflix movies. It actually makes me feel silly....

SirOtter
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Since I've read elsewhere that they'll be phasing out the queue completely in a couple of years, Netflix is removing me as a customer.

Sheryl Nantus
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
so I can still add it from my computer but not from my cellphone? (which I don't have...)

"This change does not impact the Netflix Web site, where most members manage their DVD Queues. "

big whup.

LOG
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
so I can still add it from my computer but not from my cellphone? (which I don't have...)

"This change does not impact the Netflix Web site, where most members manage their DVD Queues. "

big whup.

That's what I thought as well.
But as SirOtter pointed out, they are moving away from DvDs and more towards just streaming. That's probably the real source of the anger.

Manuel Royal
01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
That's what I thought as well.
But as SirOtter pointed out, they are moving away from DvDs and more towards just streaming. That's probably the real source of the anger.I think so. I do watch some movies on streaming, but the picture quality is never as good as a DVD, and you don't have access to the DVD extra features.

ChaosTitan
01-19-2011, 07:05 PM
I still get the DVD's in the mail and occasionally stream one on my computer, so it won't affect me (unless they do eventually get rid of physical DVD's).

Grrarrgh
01-19-2011, 08:05 PM
It's a lot of anger, but I understand where most of the people are coming from. Netflix recently upped their prices, but haven't upped their services. The selection of movies and TV shows available for the instant streaming is mediocre at best. I can always find something to watch, that's never a problem, but the selection is very small. Most of the time what I find to watch is recommended by Netflix as the same genre as what I'm searching for because what I'm actually searching for isn't available for streaming.

And the quality is still a problem. Every single thing I stream, whether through the Ipad, Iphone, computer, TV, or Xbox, is constantly stopping and resetting itself or re-buffering. The entire time I was watching Torchwood the other day, every 6 or 7 seconds the screen would go black for a split second. It was awful. Mr. Grr and I tried to watch a movie over the weekend and finally gave up on it because it kept stopping and kicking us out.

Netflix needs to worry about fixing these problems before they worry about getting rid of features that a lot of people use regularly. If I'm out with someone and they mention a movie, I often go to my phone and use the app to find it and add it to my queue. Most of the time I have to add it to the DVD queue because it's not available for streaming. Netflix cannot go to a streaming only company with the current streaming selection. People will leave in droves.

LOG
01-19-2011, 08:35 PM
And the quality is still a problem. Every single thing I stream, whether through the Ipad, Iphone, computer, TV, or Xbox, is constantly stopping and resetting itself or re-buffering. The entire time I was watching Torchwood the other day, every 6 or 7 seconds the screen would go black for a split second. It was awful. Mr. Grr and I tried to watch a movie over the weekend and finally gave up on it because it kept stopping and kicking us out.

Netflix needs to worry about fixing these problems before they worry about getting rid of features that a lot of people use regularly. If I'm out with someone and they mention a movie, I often go to my phone and use the app to find it and add it to my queue. Most of the time I have to add it to the DVD queue because it's not available for streaming. Netflix cannot go to a streaming only company with the current streaming selection. People will leave in droves.
They're likely planning to increase their online selection a lot in the future.
As for your movies, the black screens are an indication that your internet connection isn't able to handle the movie well, it has nothing to do with quality.
That said, the quality of streaming leaves quite a few things to be desired. One of my major issues is that any time you get a lot of the same color on the screen the picture starts looking really ugly.

maestrowork
01-19-2011, 08:51 PM
They are not removing "Add to DVD queue" feature. They're just taking it off the interface for the streaming devices such as iPad and Apple TV or XBox. I don't see why that's a problem.

Sure, it's more convenient if I see a movie I want but it's not available for streaming, I can add to the DVD queue. But I also have a computer, and my "streaming device" (iPad, etc) can go to the website and add the DVD. So it's not really a big deal for me. As it is, I rarely add movies to my queue when I'm trying to stream anyway. Like, if I'm looking for instant watch on my iTV, I'm looking for INSTANT WATCH. They should just list what's available for streaming. Why bog it down with an interface to ADD to DVD queue? I can just use my computer for that if I want something on DVD.

I think the "anger" is out of proportion.

And if that means more movies are going to be on Instant Watch, I'm all for it

PRationality
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Well my dad will be happy at least--he keeps watching shows via streaming (which we have no issues with over the PS3 or the Wii) and accidentally adds it to the queue instead of hitting play (which is a bitch since then I have to go delete it through the Master Controller via the computer).

If they do phase out DVDs--which I'm neutral on--I guess it'll eliminate the risk of someone losing a DVD (or 12) or DVDs becoming too damaged to view. That pisses me off (how hard is it to keep a DVD scratch free?). Though my question will be, are they going to then convert all their DVD-only shows to insta-streaming avail? Right now part of why my dad is agreeing to pay for the service is because on DVD he can get his British Dramas (Poldark for instance). And I like it, at least for the moment, because I can re-watch long expensive series (like Star Trek TNG or DS9).

I don't have issues finding streaming options either, but for long series I'm SOL.

Lexie

Christine N.
01-20-2011, 01:50 AM

It's probably not be Netflix, but your internet speed. When I first got Netflix, I had the same problem. My broadband was not fast enough. I upgraded to a higher speed (and got a great deal where it ended up cheaper than what I was paying before) and have not had a problem since. Sometimes the quality is not the best, but since I have the higher speed, I definitely do not notice it as often.

But yes, unless they put EVERYTHING on streaming, I'm going to be upset. I get my Torchwood, Doctor Who, Firefly, and Buffy fixes, but their movie choices don't impress me. If they put everything on streaming, however, I'll be a happy camper.

Because sometimes I just want to watch a certain movie NOW.

maestrowork
01-20-2011, 03:01 AM
But yes, unless they put EVERYTHING on streaming, I'm going to be upset. I get my Torchwood, Doctor Who, Firefly, and Buffy fixes, but their movie choices don't impress me. If they put everything on streaming, however, I'll be a happy camper.

Like I said, they are NOT eliminating DVD queues. They're saying they won't have "add to queue" on your iPad or iPhone or XBOX. You will just go to web browser and add the DVDs as you usually do. If you're on the iPad, they assume you just want to instant watch anyway.

They are NOT taking away DVDs.

I don't understand why people are ANGRY? It's way out of proportion.

Shadow_Ferret
01-20-2011, 05:00 AM
They are not removing "Add to DVD queue" feature. They're just taking it off the interface for the streaming devices such as iPad and Apple TV or XBox. I don't see why that's a problem.

That's what I was thinking. I really dislike the streaming device interface anyway.

I do everything from my computer first.

BenPanced
01-20-2011, 05:58 AM
I don't stream anyway, so :Shrug:

Shadow_Ferret
01-20-2011, 05:59 AM
I don't stream anyway, so :Shrug:

Philistine!

Grrarrgh
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
They're likely planning to increase their online selection a lot in the future.
As for your movies, the black screens are an indication that your internet connection isn't able to handle the movie well, it has nothing to do with quality.
That said, the quality of streaming leaves quite a few things to be desired. One of my major issues is that any time you get a lot of the same color on the screen the picture starts looking really ugly.

It's probably not be Netflix, but your internet speed. When I first got Netflix, I had the same problem. My broadband was not fast enough. I upgraded to a higher speed (and got a great deal where it ended up cheaper than what I was paying before) and have not had a problem since. Sometimes the quality is not the best, but since I have the higher speed, I definitely do not notice it as often.

We have some sort of super-charged Turbo Extreme internet speed. It's the fastest that's available in our area. Our TV came stocked with Hulu, Netflix, and a host of other internet sites on it and Netflix is the only one with a problem. It's not our internet speed. It's Netflix.

This not-able-to-add-to-the-DVD-queue isn't the biggest deal, and people are probably angrier than they should be, but I think they're upset because Netflix is starting to push everyone toward a product that isn't ready yet. It's not just the DVD queue thing. It's the fact that they raised the rates but didn't add anything new, and the streaming options are still way below where they should be.

LOG
01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
We have some sort of super-charged Turbo Extreme internet speed. It's the fastest that's available in our area. Our TV came stocked with Hulu, Netflix, and a host of other internet sites on it and Netflix is the only one with a problem. It's not our internet speed. It's Netflix.

Just because an internet service states it's fast doesn't mean it will be. Advertised speeds are what you can get only under optimal conditions, which never happen, you should expect probably less than half of what they say they give you.
A TV coming with a lot of options says nothing of internet speed, and I seriously doubt that any Netflix streaming movie is of such bad quality that there are actual black stutters in it. That wouldn't make any sense unless the version they used to record it had serious damage.

Tifferbugz
01-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Just because an internet service states it's fast doesn't mean it will be. Advertised speeds are what you can get only under optimal conditions, which never happen, you should expect probably less than half of what they say they give you.
A TV coming with a lot of options says nothing of internet speed, and I seriously doubt that any Netflix streaming movie is of such bad quality that there are actual black stutters in it. That wouldn't make any sense unless the version they used to record it had serious damage.

This. Advertised speeds are not necessarily the speeds you get. It depends on how overloaded your node is (assuming you're on cable). If you're on DSL your speed can be influenced by many things. I almost never see the black loading screen after the initial one and I stream from Netflix pretty often.

As far as the add to queue option going away, it's not a huge deal, but it is inconvenient. I stream off my PS3 quite a bit and it's nice to add to queue while I'm searching. It's not something that makes me angry, it's just annoying.

maestrowork
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Use this to check your Internet upload and download speeds: www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

I just checked mine (over wifi) and my UL is a weak 700Kps (as advertised), and the DL is 18Mps (faster than the 15Mps promised).

Christine N.
01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
There are plenty of place online where you can test your actual internet speed (Ray got to it before me!). I think my original one states 'up to' a certain speed, and I was not getting that.

It also may have to do with how far away you are from the internet hub or a booster station - the further away you are, the less signal you are likely to get, and that's just physics.

The rebuffering crap annoyed me too, to no end. Much happier now with faster speeds, never does it anymore, unless I'm having signal difficulties. It MAY be Netflix in your area; you might check with anyone else who has it nearby.

maestrowork
01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
It also depends on your technology. You share bandwidth with your neighbors on cables. So you may have higher speeds during the day when everyone's at work or school. And your speeds may suffer during the evening when everyone is watching TV, surfing the web, etc.

If you have FIOS, then you are not sharing anything. So you get a more constant speed throughout the day.

Christine N.
01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Yes, I was thinking that too. Cable modems are shared among neighbors (one of the many reasons I do not like cable), DSL lines are not. I'm still waiting for FIOS in my area, but planning on getting it when it comes.

It may also be your TV. I stream through my Wii; I don't know the logistics of straight-to-TV streaming, but perhaps the Hard drive or whatever in the TV just doesn't have the clock speed to keep up?

maestrowork
01-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Most TVs I know doesn't have Ethernet ports, so you can't stream directly to TV. You need to stream to a streaming device such as iPad, XBox, or a Roku box.

Grrarrgh
01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Our internet speed is advertised at 30 Mps, so I would imagine that even if that is a little off, the speed would still be sufficient for me to watch a movie. I can't check it right now since I'm at work, but I'll take a look when I get home. And both of our TVs have an ethernet port, we don't stream through any device; it goes directly to the TV.

I really didn't mean to derail this thread into a discussion of my internet speed. But I still think my point is valid. We don't have any trouble using those same TVs and internet to watch Hulu or Vudu or any other app on the TV. Netflix is the only one that gives us issues like the black screen blink. I know that the DVD queue thing is more of an annoyance than an actual problem, but I think that people are more upset over a general Netflix trend toward not listening to what their customers want. If over 4000 people (at last look) were upset enough to post a comment on that blog, there have to be at least that many who didn't post.

WCP
01-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Streaming sucks - they dont have many movies

Shadow_Ferret
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Our internet speed is advertised at 30 Mps, so I would imagine that even if that is a little off, the speed would still be sufficient for me to watch a movie.

I find this interesting because we run at 1/5 of that, at 6mps, and Netflix runs perfect, no black screens, no hiccoughs, nothing.

Storyteller5
01-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Netflix came into Canada in the last few months. It's entirely streaming. There are no DVDs. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the plan for down the road in the US.

maestrowork
01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Netflix came into Canada in the last few months. It's entirely streaming. There are no DVDs. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the plan for down the road in the US.

They will lose a lot of business if they change that in the US. Many people don't have reliable broadband and streaming devices. Many people still watch DVDs. And until they have ALL their movies on Instant Watch, it won't work.

Grrarrgh
01-21-2011, 11:25 PM
They will lose a lot of business if they change that in the US. Many people don't have reliable broadband and streaming devices. Many people still watch DVDs. And until they have ALL their movies on Instant Watch, it won't work.

Exactly. I just went on their to see if I could find a couple of shows I've been wanting to catch up on (unsurprisingly, neither of them turned out to be available for streaming) and figured I'd look through the streaming New Release section of movies. I found Blade 2 (2002), Blue Crush (2002), Smokey and the Bandit (1977), Smokey and the Bandit 2 (1980), and a 2010 documentary called The Parking Lot Movie chronicling the lives of the parking lot attendants at a parking lot in Charlottesville, VA over the course of 3 years.

They seem to do a little bit better with their TV offerings, but only barely.

shelleyo
01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
The add to DVD thing will still be there online, so I'm not sure why it's a problem. And I doubt they'll get rid of physical DVDs completely, too big of a cash cow, though I'm sure that would make local video stores everywhere cry and cheer. I suspect as they move into new markets overseas and in different places, those will be streaming only because it just makes sense.

I love Netflix and have been a customer for years. And yeah, the price rose a dollar recently, but a few years ago, without a change in service at all, their price DROPPED a dollar. How many companies have ever done that? Here, we're going to charge you a dollar less per month. And then they removed limits on streaming. It used to be that your streaming minutes per month were limited according to your membership plan, and you had to have the unlimited DVD plan to get unlimited streaming, otherwise you could only watch a limited amount of streaming material per month. Now you get unlimited streaming when you have a membership, period. Unlimited movies for $6 or $10 a month? TV shows too? Pretty good deal, if you ask me. Sure, not everything's available, but there's a lot. Netflix delivers quite a bit of value for the cost. Hard to find that much for that amount anywhere else.

When I've had a disc arrive broken and had one go missing, the only two incidents in all these years which is pretty amazing, I think, it was completely no hassle to deal with it. Netflix is in fact one of the few companies I've ever used that I'm completely happy with.

I really wouldn't even care if they went completely streaming, since that's usually all I use anyway. I have a couple of discs here that have been here for an embarrrassingly long time, but we use the streaming feature regularly.

and figured I'd look through the streaming New Release section of movies. I found Blade 2 (2002), Blue Crush (2002), Smokey and the Bandit (1977), Smokey and the Bandit 2 (1980), and a 2010 documentary called The Parking Lot Movie chronicling the lives of the parking lot attendants at a parking lot in Charlottesville, VA over the course of 3 years.

Those may be there, because they do add old stuff all the time, and I watch a lot of their older stuff. I love George Carlin's and Eddie Izzard's old stand-up specials, for instance. But there are plenty of new releases and popular TV shows like Death at a Funeral, Bones, Grey's Anatomy, The Proposal, The Bounty Hunter, Undercover Boss, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Shutter Island, I'm Still Here, The Science of Sleep, The Grapes of Wrath, Lost, Battlestar Galactica . . . there's plenty of new and popular stuff also available for streaming.

Shelley

katiemac
01-21-2011, 11:51 PM
When I've had a disc arrive broken and had one go missing, the only two incidents in all these years which is pretty amazing, I think, it was completely no hassle to deal with it. Netflix is in fact one of the few companies I've ever used that I'm completely happy with.There was an article a couple years ago out of a Chicago paper (wish I remembered) where the journalist went inside a Netflix sorting facility. Their buildings on the outside are all very plain and they keep them secret. Workers who sort the DVD returns take stretching and exercise breaks every 30 minutes. All in all, the details were very impressive and Netflix seems like they're one of those fun corporations who stress promotability and positive work environments.

I actually wonder what will happen to the inners of the company if it becomes all-streaming. That's a lot of jobs, unless they train everyone in online and web skills.

maestrowork
01-21-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't think they'd eliminate DVDs but I do think there's much growth in the streaming business. Apple has already gone that way and is very profitable. Netflix isn't stupid. Bad for jobs, but great for bottom line: Streaming decreases overhead and costs, simple as that. Plus it's harder for piracy -- it's super easy to duplicate DVDs now, but much harder to capture streamed data (plus ISPs have a way to detect piracy like that).

Personally I don't remember the last time I watch a physical DVD. I stream everything that is available, and buy digital copies when necessary. But I understand the rest of the country and world isn't caught up yet.

Shadow_Ferret
01-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Well, I watch physical DVDs. I have a good collection of them. And the success of those Red Box Kiosks shows that others still watch them, too.

And what about Blu-Ray? Can you stream 1080p? That would take BROADbroad band, I would think. And you wants to keep digital copies of that on their computer?

maestrowork
01-22-2011, 03:21 AM
And what about Blu-Ray? Can you stream 1080p? That would take BROADbroad band, I would think. And you wants to keep digital copies of that on their computer?

Yes, you can stream HD. Not sure if it's 720p or 1080p though.... wait, I just downloaded Black Swan in HD, and it is 1080.

However, even though it is HD, don't expect Blu-Ray quality. It's still compressed.

mario_c
01-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I've complained loudly about the spotty quality of the Netflix streams, which is frustrating because I love their selection. It's amazing when it works - for example, the incredible selection of TV shows and HBO comedy specials, just sitting there at my beck and call. Granted, it doesn't take much to amuse me. :rolleyes: But many of the features are nowhere near DVD quality - 2001: A Space Odyssey fullscreen? Ken Burns' Jazz, the sync is almost 7 seconds off?! If everything on Netflix TV were up to snuff it would be great, but it's really not.
If they eliminate DVDs maybe competitors like Facets (http://www.facetsmovies.com) (you can rent imports, VHS and lots of rarities Netflix style) will flourish. Hell, maybe Kim's (http://www.mondokims.com/) will make a comeback. That would warm my heart and blow my mind.