• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta for YA Fantasy, 60k words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
I've edited my WIP as much as I can by myself, and I'm looking for a few fresh sets of eyes that can point out any gaping plot holes, leaps in logic, pacing problems, issues with characterization, etc., that I missed. I'm not looking for a line-by-line critique, just honest criticism on the above issues plus anything else you find. I have a thick skin, so you're welcome to be brutal! I'm also happy to beta for you in return.

Here's the rough summary I'm trying to shape into a query:

Sixteen-year-old Mag isn't fussed when her twin sister goes missing. Angry, sure, but not fussed. Running away is as much a part of Philomena's blood as is hemoglobin or plasma.

She is fussed, however, when the police break down her door. Seems Philomena has some part in the murder of a federal agent. With Philomena conveniently gone, all attentions turn to Mag, and they won't believe her when she insists she has no idea where Philomena's gone to. When one of the agents frames her for arson in an attempt to get her to divulge Philomena's whereabouts, she knows she's got to find her sister before her own life implodes into a fiery ball.

One major problem: after some digging, Mag discovers her sister's fled to the Living City, where rumors say the buildings breathe and the sewers suck in unsuspecting bystanders. It's the one place the agents are sure not to follow. And for good reason: everybody knows that NOBODY comes out of the Living City alive.

For the first time in her life, Mag's determined to be a nobody.

glacier

Give it to me straight!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
write4teens.blogspot.com
Do you still need another reader? I need a YA beta for fantasy/romance 84,000 words with the same kind of critique. I don't need line by line, only plot analysis and are my characters believable type. Let me know, yours sound interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.