Are your tweets grammatically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get a little grossed out when too much grammar is either sacrificed or just plain overlooked in those 140 characters.

if you can't fit "you're," please don't substitute it with "your." I'd much prefer to see U R, because that at least proves you've got a grasp of WFT you're saying to the world.

1000th Sun

Registered
Reaction score
I don't tweet but I tend to be one of the better people grammatically when I text.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I usually use actual words, sacrificing them on occasion when I run out of room. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if that's a misspelling rather than an intentional shortening.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I very rarely tweet, but I live by text message. They're all spelled out, capitalized and punctuated appropriately. Fortunately, Mr. Grr is the same way, as are the other 2 or 3 people I text most often with. My brother is the worst. I usually end up having to give in and call him to find out what the frak he said.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even a grammar stickler, it't just the blatant disregard that hurts so much.

PRationality

Where Obsession is Diverse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastexilewords.blogspot.com
I'm not even properly grammatical when not tweeting/texting! XD

But I do use proper capitalization/punctuation when texting. Tweeting it depends on if its a random stray fragmented thought or a full response. Stray fragments tend to be "Hm. shoulda known!" so I don't feel a great need to be proper.

Lexie

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Mostly. I'll use numbers instead of writing them out and an ampersand in place of "and." If I've hit the 140-character limit and only need one more letter, I'll leave out a comma or the final punctuation mark. But I try to edit my Tweets so I don't have to make any sacrifices in grammar.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Grammatically correct as in "you're" when I mean "you are", not the possessive adjective (and vice versa). But I leave out non-vital words like "the" if I'm running out of space. I treat it like dialogue in prose - it can be non-grammatical in the strict sense, but it shouldn't look illiterate!

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I try to use proper grammar when I can in tweets. I also play a game in which you can post short 64-character messages. Unfortunately, this is too short to write a lot of messages without radical shortening and using very bad grammar and spelling.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My tweets are gramatically correct. But I can't spell for pants.

Jettica

Superfluously multisyllabic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jetink.blogspot.com
Sometimes I have to leave out a comma or the final full stop if I'm one or two characters over. That hurts me. I'd rather not send the tweet.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
There's a sliding scale for the application of the rules of grammar, with English exams at one end of the scale and tweets at the other.

Besides, while we, as writers, pride ourselves on knowing the rules of grammar, for much of the population they're just too difficult.

Perhaps as language evolves you're and your will fade from use and everyone will simply use UR, with the meaning understood from the context.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I don't like having to sacrifice grammar in tweets. But, I tend to remove words that aren't necessarily needed.

The above sentence would look like this: Don't like to sacrifice grammar in tweets. Tend to remove words, that aren't needed.

Like that.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I always do my best to try and rephrase sentences if they don't fit. Like "How could this also get the point across in less words with proper punctuation."

It's a good writing challenge in itself.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, would rather see textspeak than mangled standard English. But if Tweeting is to become an art form, it will be because it has taught its practitioners how to write with elegant brevity, in Standard English.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I seldom tweet or text, but when I do, when I have to, I'm as grammatically correct as possible.

And I do not read tweets or texts from those who are not. Life is too short.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
99% of the time, I do tweet grammatically, including punctuation. I'll occasionally sacrifice punctuation or remove the space after a comma or period. Sometimes, I'll remove one letter (such as "xtra"). But the one letter words make me crazy so I try not to use them.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use Twitter. Text messages, on the other hand, are great because they make it possible for me to avoid talking with people. (Man, I love that.)

Those are properly written because I can't stand txtspk.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My texts are correct also. I've had too many mishaps with predict-a-mistake to be relaxed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.