• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta, please! 98K Sci Fi Steampunk Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekyMary

It's a trap!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello wonderful people!

• Genre. Science Fiction. (specifically light SF/Steampunk)
  • Feedback. I'm looking for honest input on what I need to do to sell this guy.
  • Publishing. I've done some querying, but after looking back at the draft after a few months, I've decided it needs another pass through to make it really shine.
  • Credentials. Experience is always fantastic, but if you're in my target audience, then I want to hear from you.
I'm looking for a beta for my Science Fiction Steampunk novel. It's a pretty mature manuscript, so shouldn't be any grammar or spelling errors. I actually thought it was done, but then I looked at it again after a few months and I'm doing another pass through.

I'd love some fresh eyes to help me get this thing published. To that end, I need to hear the truth. I'm a grownup - I can take it. :)

Here's what it's about:

Leah Flynn is finding out that San Francisco in 1905 is a rather difficult place to build a weather machine.

After a suspicious fire claims her husband’s life, she and her daughter Rebecca are forced to live with family in the City. There are two controlling forces in San Francisco: High Society, who feel that science is improper and dangerous, especially for a young lady, and Erasmus Carter, who’s controls everything scientific. If it’s not being done by his Society for Scientific Conquest, it’s illegal.

Leah’s determined to finish her and her husband’s machine, but she certainly isn’t going to work with Erasmus; not when she discovers that he set the fire. And Rebecca is determined to find a place in High Society; she and Matthew Cooper (of the powerful Cooper family) have fallen in love, and they can’t be together if she’s not “in.”

Both women find their ways: Leah works underground, while Rebecca becomes a daring public figure. When the Great Earthquake hits in April of 1906, they must work together and use everything they've gained, found, and learned to save the city.
Thanks very much! Let me know if this sounds like fun.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Beta, please! 98K Sci Fi Steampunk Novel

Hello Mary: PM is on its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.