Writer Interview

ryandubess

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a writing student at Westwood College Online. I have an assignment to write a informational essay. My thesis for this essay is , "Reality television gives the everyday person the opportunity for their 15 minutes of fame but does it take from the creativity?" I have chosen this thesis because I believe that reality television is ruining the television experience. I would appreciate if you as writer would answer a few questions about your feelings about this topic. The questions are as follows:
1. How has reality tv effected your job opportunities?
2. Has your creativity been helped or hindered by reality tv? Why?
3. Do you believe reality TV is scripted or 100% reality.
4. Do you think that reality TV is taking away from real actors and writers? Why?
5. Do you think that reality TV is hurting family values?
Your help with this assignment is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your participation.

Ryan S.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
1. How has reality tv effected your job opportunities? n/a
2. Has your creativity been helped or hindered by reality tv? Why? It hasn't. I am proud to say I have never watched reality tv.
3. Do you believe reality TV is scripted or 100% reality. Neither, a combination
4. Do you think that reality TV is taking away from real actors and writers? Why? Yes, because there are fewer dramas and comedies on TV, thus less opportunities.
5. Do you think that reality TV is hurting family values? Family values is such a controversial term. Homophobes use it against the LGBT community. With reality TV we are making "stars" out of misanthropes and glorifying bad behavior. I question why parents allow their kids to watch some of the crap that's on tv. Parents are to blame if they allow reality tv into their homes to effect their children.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
1. How has reality tv effected your job opportunities? Don't wite for TV.
2. Has your creativity been helped or hindered by reality tv? Why? No, I don't watch it except as I surf past.

3. Do you believe reality TV is scripted or 100% reality. Both.
4. Do you think that reality TV is taking away from real actors and writers? Why? Yes because it is supplanting scripted TV.
5. Do you think that reality TV is hurting family values? Yes, because it encourages greed and egotism, not to mention stupidity.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
1. How has reality tv effected your job opportunities?

I don't think it has affected opportunities as a writer. Only a very small portion of writers do television work.

2. Has your creativity been helped or hindered by reality tv? Why?

Neither. Television, whether reality-based or scripted is 99% crap. It's fine to veg on at the end of a long day but I have always found books and films are far greater sources of inspiration.

3. Do you believe reality TV is scripted or 100% reality.

There is a third option. It is edited reality. The producers are making a show and through clever editing they can make it seem things are very different from the reality see this video.

4. Do you think that reality TV is taking away from real actors and writers? Why?

No.

5. Do you think that reality TV is hurting family values?

Family values means different things to different people. I don't let my kids watch TV. I think that about 99% of TV presents harmful stereotypes and images and children should not be exposed until they are old enough to have developed a faculty for critical thinking. Reality TV is not noticeably better or worse than the rest of the dreck in this regard.