Question regarding requerying

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
An agent I queried last year recently changed her query policy and is now accepting new queries if authors have revised their books or queries or both.

I did a major revision over the last few months and my novel will be ready to query as soon as betas are done with it. Most of the responses I have gotten are extremely positive so far. I'm just waiting on the last few!

My question is, do I need to state in the query that this is a revision of a previously queried work? I queried under a different title before and also with a drastically different query. The plot is the same, I just really made some changes in presentation.

I don't want to throw things off by a long-winded explanation. I also don't want to make it appear that I am hiding anything, because I would not wish to.

What is appropriate? Also, this agent now wants the first five pages, which were not included before. She's never seen my actual story.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother mentioning that it's a requery. Save the space to pitch the revised book. Agents receive hundreds of queries a month; they're probably not going to recognize your older one unless you point it out, and there's no reason to do so. Good luck!

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I wouldn't bother mentioning that it's a requery. Save the space to pitch the revised book. Agents receive hundreds of queries a month; they're probably not going to recognize your older one unless you point it out, and there's no reason to do so. Good luck!

And some of them have excellent memories. You have a distinctive MC and voice, both of which shine through in your new query as they did in the old one. She may remember this--I'd find room to add a line that this is a requery of a mss that has been significantly reworked. The only reason to point it out is because that way you won't irritate her by requerying something she's already seen *without* making substantial changes.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Karen! You've seen both. I like the way you worded it. I'm bookmarking the page so I remember! It was a major overhaul, so I feel confident even if she doesn't know a thing about what it consisted of. I just wasn't sure of how to say so without rambling or sounding like I was begging. I want her to skip right to the pages.

Last edited:

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You could probably stick it at the bottom of the query so it doesn't gum down the letter: "X is a X-word novel. I was pleased to see your new guidelines; since I last queried you, I've had the help of an excellent writing group to thoroughly revise the story. Thank-you for your time and consideration..."

I think you'd also be okay leaving it out, too, since she says in her guidelines she's okay with requerying (sound like both a different book/query) but it's your call.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I'd go ahead and requery, following Karen's advice. Also, I'd advise the five pages in each and every query unless given explicit instructions to the contrary.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Michael! Mine will be coming your way very soon! It's blowing my betas away, so watch out. :)

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, except I did major plot revisions in addition to new title. Basically just some characters and a few plot points made it through revision. If an agent doesn't specifically list a requery policy, is it better to state it's a requery or to query a different agent at that agency? (While querying new agents, of course.)

Amyashley - glad to find someone in the same situation. Good luck!