First They Came for the Four Loco...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
but the Irish Coffee fans said nothing...
The Food and Drug Administration can ban caffeinated alcoholic beverages such as Four Loko, but it cannot stop bartenders from mixing Red Bull with vodka, coffee with Irish whiskey, or cola with rum.

Fortunately, Iowa state Sen. Brian Schoenjahn (D-Arlington) has proposed a bill that would close this dangerous gap by making it a misdemeanor for any business with a liquor license to "manufacture for sale, sell, offer or keep for sale, import, distribute, transport, or possess any caffeinated alcoholic beverage."
The article goes on to note that the 1/2 percent alcohol with caffeine limit sweeps Kahlua and Tia Maria into the dragnet.

Of course, there's probably no chance the bill will pass... this time. After all, it's not just poor inner-city people who drink irish coffee.

Is "slippery slope" really a logical fallacy when it comes to legislation? Is it time to wake up and smell the (Irish) coffee? ;)

BushmillsIrishCoffee_L.jpg

Last edited:

Amyre

Gypsy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about this. I'm afraid they may be going too far. I'm really not a fan of overly caffeinated beverages and alcohol as a mix. People end up risking their health doing that stupid shit, but I'm more worried about the energy drinks with the gobs and gobs of caffeine and who knows what else as far as stimulants go. When I saw that bit about rum and coke I nearly fell out of my chair. I love my rum and coke. I can't imagine it doing that much harm. I think they have to be realistic. This seems like it's crossing the line. Anyone can be excessive with anything. It's the children who need to learn to play with the toys. Kinda sucks to have all your toys taken away you know?

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
So this would outlaw rum and cokes, right? Well, that would certainly turn me against this bill.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Let the people be free to drink Red Bull and Vodka. I won't share details, but 7 or 8 of those and I became a salsa star for one night...and I can remember it all.

Good luck enforcing a bill that proscriptive about mixed drinks.

Why is there so much fear around "lucid drunks" when regular drunks are still such a major problem? There's no additional health risk to these caffeinated drinks, are there?

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
It's so easy to ban the other guys drug of choice and it seems people only get riled when someone wants to ban their drug of choice.

Richard

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, they'll have to pry my spiked coffee from my cold, dead hands!

That is interesting, isn't it, though? There seems to be a difference between what 'the kids' are doing and coffee drinks, but the lawmakers haven't been clear about that. I wonder if they are capable of defining a real difference!

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, they'll have to pry my spiked coffee from my cold, dead hands!

That is interesting, isn't it, though? There seems to be a difference between what 'the kids' are doing and coffee drinks, but the lawmakers haven't been clear about that. I wonder if they are capable of defining a real difference!

You are asking way too much from a bunch of people who's only mission is to get re-elected.

Richard