Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
AW Server Move Announcement

Dear Absolute Write Members:

You’ve probably noticed some slow downs on Absolute Write. We’re going to have to move our server. Now, while the server is being moved, we WILL set up a temporary www.absolutewrite.com site.

The temporary site will be a bit different; for one thing, it won’t be running on our own server. Things will be a little slower. We may have to turn off the automatic mailing of thread subscriptions and PMs (they’ll work just fine when we turn them back on; you don’t have to do anything). We ask for your patience for a couple of weeks until we’re back home on our own box.

Between the time we disconnect the old server and the temporary home goes live, there may be a gap of a few hours. We’ll try to avoid that.

We expect to be at the temporary home for a couple of weeks, possibly less. You’ll use the same address to reach AbsoluteWrite.com (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/) but your bookmarks might not work.

We realize this is inconvenient, but we figured y’all would be in mourning if we didn’t save all your Rep points.

When AW is temporarily unavailable, you can write, or hang out in the AW Chat room, or on AW’s sister forum Written in Stone. You might want to create an account at Written in Stone now, just in case. If you use your AW name, it will make it easier for folks to find you.

We’ll be posting updates via Twitter and Facebook and on WiS. Here are some addresses:

AW Chat room: http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=absolutewrite
AW Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AbsoluteWrite/103771526334620
AW Twitter feed: (@absolutewrite): http://twitter.com/AbsoluteWrite
Written In Stone: http://www.macallisterstone.com/forums/ If you're registering there for the first time, please put the name "MacAllister" in the referral form - it will help us know you're not a spammer

I'll be updating this thread, as I have more information for you. Cheers!

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When are you expecting to actually do the move?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Sage, we're not entirely sure. We're in the process of setting up the temporary port in this storm, tonight and tomorrow. Depending on how that goes, we'll have more information tomorrow.

If all goes according to plan, there shouldn't be much more than a couple of hours of wonkiness while the new DNS propagates. At worst, we may be down altogether for a while. We'll keep everyone updated as we know more.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Written in Stone says that registrations has been closed by the Administrator.

Oops! Registration is turned on again, as of now.
We get pounded by spambots over there when it's live, so unless we're actively using it, we tend to mothball stuff.

Deleted member 42

There will be a while during which we lock the forums--you'll be able to read, but you won't be able to post.

This is to make sure that your Rep comments, which we know are crucial for three or four of you, will be (knock on wood) preserved.

Mac or I will post dates and times as we know them.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, geez. Now I'll have to go find something else to do with my time for a couple of hours. Like, you know, write.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Registration is turned on again, as of now.
We get pounded by spambots over there when it's live, so unless we're actively using it, we tend to mothball stuff.

Um, Mac...

Written in Stone said:
Sorry, the board is unavailable at the moment while we are installing shiny new thingies. Or whats-its.
Are you trying to tell me something?

I get it. No registering for me. I'll go pack my sparkly Snoopy suitcase and move along.

*kicks rocks and gives puppy dog eyes*

:(

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I thought you were already registered and had posted there? But either way, hang on a sec - Medievalist is checking!

Deleted member 42

Um, Mac...

Are you trying to tell me something?

I get it. No registering for me. I'll go pack my sparkly Snoopy suitcase and move along.

*kicks rocks and gives puppy dog eyes*

:(

I've deleted 45 new potential spammers, so two possibilities:

1. Your browser cache is remembering that you were there a few minutes ago, and is therefore lying to you (clear the cache).

2. Have you already registered?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I must be having an out of body experience. I have read this thread all the way through a few days ago. Same posts and everything and the dates say it is today.......................I think I need to go lay down. :Shrug:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Went back and tried again. It let me register (but Cyia was too short - phooey!) Now I'm waiting for the email.

Deleted member 42

I must be having an out of body experience. I have read this thread all the way through a few days ago. Same posts and everything and the dates say it is today.......................I think I need to go lay down. :Shrug:

Nah, I know what you're remembering.

Starting January 9th the server host was moving their routers and changing their DNS, which meant AW was bouncing up and down like a Yo-Yo.

It was like moving three times in a row, and not leaving a forwarding address.

Deleted member 42

Went back and tried again. It let me register (but Cyia was too short - phooey!) Now I'm waiting for the email.

I'm having to hand approve people so I just set you to Registered.

By Register I mean you create an account.

It's Really Smart to use your AW name in your WiS account, because the script kiddies are out in hordes, and it will make your compadres realize that you're alive and well, and writing.

ETA: PUT MacAllister in the Referral field when you Register at WiS.

I'm drowning in fake accounts folks.

ETA: Turning off registration over night.

Last edited by a moderator:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. Glad to hear that. Thought I had lost it. Best wishes for a fast transfer. Hugs to you alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Deleted member 42

What is this madness whereof you speak?

I'm gonna spend some quality time with the Kindle.

Mac's just giving you guys a heads-up.

We'll let you know as soon as we have a specific date and time.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Dear Diary,

I went to Written in Stone - entered my correct user name - entered the correct password - three times - it told me to go home and write somethin'. So here I am, writing somethin'. I'm sure it'll all work out... pretty sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.