PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering buying something frivolous (e-reader advice)...

tiny
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes. Something frivolous. I've resisted e-readers but I'm sort of warming up to them and I've sort of had my eye on an iPad... but I know exactly zero about e-readers. I keep seeing the Nook at B&N, and hearing about Kindle, but I'm under the impression the iPad can be used as an e-reader.

Is there anything specific I should look at as I'm choosing which direction I should go?

Oh, and there are no PCs in my house if OS makes a difference. I'm a Macky.

Medievalist
01-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Can you wait a couple more months?

I think there's a better iPad coming out, and I think we'll see a price drop.

That said, the iPad isn't for everyone.

I'd look at Kindles, Nooks and iPads. And think about where you think you'll read. Outside? In bed?

It makes a difference--and the people who hate the iPad screen really really hate it.

tiny
01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
It would be a nice present I could request in March, so, yeah, I can wait. Longer than that if need be. It's just a want not a need. And I usually read either in the car waiting for the kiddo, or in the front room. I've looked at the iPads, but I haven't physically handled the others.

I'm curious about what they hate about the screen.

Oh, I forgot to add - I'm afraid in the end I won't like the e-reading experience and I'll go back to my piles of paperbacks. With the iPad I'll have something useful but with the others I'll have a paperweight.

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I have an iPad and I use the Kindle app on it frequently. I like it. However, I wouldn't have paid the $$$ for it just to use as an e-reader. I bought it because it is versatile. For me the advantage as an e-reader is that it is backlit. The disadvantage is that it is larger and heavier than most e-readers.

I bought my son a Kindle for Christmas. He loves it and it is much easier to handle. His only complaint has been that it is not backlit.

I would advise you to go out and actually handle a few different e-readers before buying. They all have subtle differences.

Warning: ownership of an e-reader will increase the number of books you purchase by tenfold.

Perks
01-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I looooove my Nook. (I don't have the color one, but I prefer not to have a backlit device.)

Here's my review I posted to AuthorScoop (http://authorscoop.com/2010/02/13/my-barnes-noble-nook-adventure-part-iii/).

scarletpeaches
01-15-2011, 08:34 PM
I love that my Sony isn't backlit. I read, and avoid headaches.

Parametric
01-15-2011, 08:36 PM
I love my new Kindle. It's tiny and sleek, so it slips easily into my handbag. It's easy to use - a little slow, that's all. And the text is comfortable to read. My eyes get tired and I get headaches a lot, so the latter is a top priority for me. It's my experience that Kindles multiply - my mother got one and loved it, so my father got one and loved it, so I got one and loved it ... etc etc.

Perks
01-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I love that my Sony isn't backlit. I read, and avoid headaches.same with me. I did see the Nook color last week and it's very pretty. The touchscreen is groovy, but I still like better that mine isn't backlit.

I can't have an iPad. If I carried the internet around with me, I'd be more useless than I already am.

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I think Apple needs to make an iPad that weighs half as much, costs half as much and has the option to turn off the backlighting. Wait, can I turn off the backlighting?

Now I must explore.

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Okay, the screen brightness can be adjusted, but even on the lowest setting it is still much brighter than a Kindle.

tiny
01-15-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm heading out today to play with all I can find. I like the idea of the iPad, but I'm not sure I want something quite that big and it has the tubes and, like Perks, I'm far more useless with the tubes at my fingertips.

scarletpeaches
01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Henry Cavill disapproves of backlit ereaders.

Parametric
01-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I've also found my Kindle to be comparatively tough - it's not made mostly of fragile glass like an iPad. Mine took a tumble down the steps at a station and there's not a scratch on it. I'm thinking of getting the cover just to be careful, but I do like not having to worry about it in my handbag.

Williebee
01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Some great advice upthread. Thanks all.

And, like Medi said, for those of us wanting, but not needing an iPad, I'm waiting for the price shift that should be coming with the new version.

One cool thing, as yet unmentioned, about the BN reader, is that if you have a BN account, and I have a BN account, then I can "loan" you books -- assign them to your account for a couple weeks, for free. (This doesn't require the device. The reader can be on your computer or iPhone.)

Perks
01-15-2011, 09:07 PM
aaaaand, in a clever move to keep you coming into the bookstores, the Nook (if you leave it on) knows when you're physically in the store and will give you coupons for books and freebies at the cafe!

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Henry Cavill disapproves of backlit ereaders.

I call bollocks. You see, with my iPad I am able to view full color pics and even episodes of The Tudors. I can also listen to my iTunes library, watch movies, use it as a scheduler, check my e-mail, use iPages and play a game of Angry Birds if I'm stuck waiting for shift change. Good luck doing that on a Kindle. Henry approves of the iPad.

But to derail on this derailment, I think e-readers should become standard school issue. I'm tired of seeing my ninety-two pound son heaving around a thirty pound backpack full of textbooks. For straight book reading, I'd have to vote Kindle.

ETA: or Nook. I just haven't had much exposure to the Nook. I'm sure it's comparable.

tjwriter
01-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm going to watch this thread with interest. I have a netbook with the Kindle application that I've been using to read books while I'm sitting in the lactation room at work and I've found that I do enjoy e-books, so I might get a reader. My dad got a Kindle for Christmas, but I've not really played with it.

tiny
01-15-2011, 09:09 PM
aaaaand, in a clever move to keep you coming into the bookstores, the Nook (if you leave it on) knows when you're physically in the store and will give you coupons for books and freebies at the cafe!

You can also read a book for an hour for free in store. I thought that was interesting.

Williebee
01-15-2011, 09:11 PM
But to derail on this derailment, I think e-readers should become standard school issue. I'm tired of seeing my ninety-two pound son heaving around a thirty pound backpack full of textbooks.

2nd, 3rd and a "damn skippy"!

tiny
01-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Oh and I wanted to say it's frivolous for me because I work from home and don't necessarily need an e-reader (I have a pile of unread and well read books), but for others it's probably not frivolous at all.

scarletpeaches
01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I just received an email from Henry Cavill. He says, "Tell kayleamay her iPad sucks donkey dick, and I love scarletpeaches more than her."

Sorry. Henry has spoken.

Kate Thornton
01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I love my Kindle - got the one with the light in the cover for reading in the dark. Works great, allows a one-handed person like me to turn pages safely and it somehow makes reading so much easier for me that I have read 23 books since I bought it (last Oct)

Yeah, I really like it - carry it around with me everywhere!

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 09:16 PM
I just received an email from Henry Cavill. He says, "Tell kayleamay her iPad sucks donkey dick, and I love scarletpeaches more than her."

Sorry. Henry has spoken.

You are lying. Henry would never be so foul-mouthed. There is a special place in hell reserved for you.

Perks
01-15-2011, 09:16 PM
But to derail on this derailment, I think e-readers should become standard school issue. I'm tired of seeing my ninety-two pound son heaving around a thirty pound backpack full of textbooks.

Same here. My daughter is already getting backaches and I don't know what to do for her.

scarletpeaches
01-15-2011, 09:17 PM
You are lying. Henry would never be so foul-mouthed. There is a special place in hell reserved for you.He has a cut-glass accent. Anything he says sounds refined.

Even your name.

tjwriter
01-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Some great advice upthread. Thanks all.

And, like Medi said, for those of us wanting, but not needing an iPad, I'm waiting for the price shift that should be coming with the new version.

One cool thing, as yet unmentioned, about the BN reader, is that if you have a BN account, and I have a BN account, then I can "loan" you books -- assign them to your account for a couple weeks, for free. (This doesn't require the device. The reader can be on your computer or iPhone.)

Amazon just recently added the loan feature to the Kindle, too.

Williebee
01-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh and I wanted to say it's frivolous for me because I work from home and don't necessarily need an e-reader (I have a pile of unread and well read books), but for others it's probably not frivolous at all.

The reason I don't have an iPad yet is because, for me, it would be, maybe not frivolous, but certainly just an "add on".

Between the desktops, laptops and iPhone, I've got it's functionality covered.

OOOOOOOOoooooo but I wants the shiny!!!

Amazon just recently added the loan feature to the Kindle recently, too.

Sweet! Thanks TJ!

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Same here. My daughter is already getting backaches and I don't know what to do for her.

I know. Same here. The poor kid already has a stoop. I'd get him a pack with wheels but he tells me that would be like putting a nerd target on him.

He has a cut-glass accent. Anything he says sounds refined.

Even your name.

Accent and pronunciation can not change the inherent hick sound of my name. Therefore, I must once again cry bollocks. This aside, I would not exactly cringe at the sound of it from Henry's lips.

scarletpeaches
01-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Henry disapproves of women crying bollocks and he respectfully suggests you sod off.

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
You need to stop confusing Henry with the voices in your head.

scarletpeaches
01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
If the voices in my head sounded like Henry Cavill I would listen to them more often.

Medievalist
01-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Wheeled backpack. The good ones are pricey, about 60.00, but I wish I'd known about them years ago.

And chicks can usually get away with them. I notice the high school girls here use them.

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Sp, I can't fault you there. I'd sign up for that mental illness.

In apology for the derail: http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy

Perks
01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Wheeled backpack. The good ones are pricey, about 60.00, but I wish I'd known about them years ago.
They don't allow them at the school, because they don't fit in the lockers.

kayleamay
01-15-2011, 09:38 PM
They don't allow them at the school, because they don't fit in the lockers.

They banned lockers at my son's school, but he won't use a wheeled pack because he has the middle school image consciousness going. So instead, he carries all of his books plus a set of percussion bells to school every day.

Soccer Mom
01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Another Kindle lover here. I like how light it is and that I can make the font REALLY HUGE because my vision is very poor. But if you get one, the little clip on light or cover with a light is a must. I use it to read in bed after Soccer Dad turns off the light. Plus in dim light I can switch it on if need be.

BeatrixKiddo
01-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Noooo! Don't give into the electronics! Stick with old fashioned books! (I kid) ;)

I know some folks love 'em and I even checked out a Nook at my B&N recently but I just couldn't wrap my head around reading a book that way. I'd also be too afraid of dropping it, or breaking it somehow. They always seem so fragile looking to me. Ipads also look vulnerable to me.

Guess I'm old.

bethany
01-16-2011, 02:50 AM
I have a kindle. I put my manuscripts, and those I'm beta-ing into PDF's and it's so much easier on my eyes!

Angie
01-16-2011, 06:27 AM
I am completely in love with my Kindle. I even made a case for it so I could add a card/cash pocket and use it as a wallet too. That way, I can carry my Kindle everywhere I go, without adding an extra case.

And I agree 100% with those who said they'd rather read on the e-ink screen instead of a backlit screen. It's more like reading a regular book, and it's not so hard on the eyes.

MattW
01-16-2011, 06:49 AM
I got a B&W Nook in May, but didn't use it much around the house and such. I did take it on a long trip and realized how much I really like it's portability.

I bought a cover with an integrated light, and it's great on planes and pretty much everywhere. I like the e-ink screen - I don't know how good the full color full screens are, but I can read my Nook all day long without any eye problems.

The downside for me is the B&N store - can't buy new books outside of the USA. They check your IP, so I couldn't get anything new when I raced through my 5 vacation books with a week left to go...Which I guess was fine because the one book I tried to use to get around their system I finished in only 2 days after coming home. I believe Amazon allows international purchases, as long as the billing address is right.

I've also found that some (not all) ebooks are priced much better than HC/PB editions. Factor in Project Guttenberg, LendMe features, and e-borrowing from my public library, and I've got a lot of low cost options for my Nook.

tiny
01-17-2011, 08:38 AM
So, I went out and bought a nookcolor. I decided since I had my eye on a e-reader and an iPad it was a meeting in the middle so to speak (and hubs was so excited for me to finally buy something for myself he didn't want me to wait).

I'm really loving it. Spent yesterday evening downloading and reading samples. I was balking on buying books for it just yet, but hubs came home with a gift certificate so I bought three. Sat for quite a while reading and I haven't a complaint yet. Even in direct sunlight I can see the screen just fine. I was surprised.

Love it. Now hubs wants one, too. And, I caught my 13 year old counting up his Christmas money hoping he had enough to buy one for himself. So it seems they do multiply or they're contagious.

Grrarrgh
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I have both the Kindle and the Ipad. I love the Kindle for reading standard books. I get 3 or 4 migraines a week, so I do anything I can to decrease the chances of them. The Ipad is more likely to get one started because of the backlighting. However, if I'm reading comic books/graphic novels, I read them on the Ipad and they look fantastic. But I can't do that anywhere but home because the Ipad is really heavy and really fragile. The Kindle is much more sturdy and so easy to throw into whatever purse or bag I'm carring on any given day. I have a case for it, and I really like the case, but it's so bulky that I usually don't use it. It has pockets in the front, though, so if I'm just going out to get a drink or coffee and read, I'll throw my credit cards into the Kindle case with the Kindle and head out. It's an amazing little device. You can certainly do more with the Ipad, but if I'm just reading, it has to be the Kindle.

tiny
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I probably would have gone for one with no backlight if I had issues with migraines or headaches based in my eyes. Fortunately I don't. My headaches are all based in muscular issues in my back and neck I've found. So after reading for several hours yesterday I didn't find the backlight a problem at all, but again, I'm lucky and don't suffer from migraines.

I have found though I am going to have to be careful about spending too much on books now that I have all this room. :D

kayleamay
01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I probably would have gone for one with no backlight if I had issues with migraines or headaches based in my eyes. Fortunately I don't. My headaches are all based in muscular issues in my back and neck I've found. So after reading for several hours yesterday I didn't find the backlight a problem at all, but again, I'm lucky and don't suffer from migraines.

I have found though I am going to have to be careful about spending too much on books now that I have all this room. :D

Don't fight it. You'll have a small library on that thing by the end of the month.

(But it's kind of cool to be able to carry a whole library around, isn't it?)

tiny
01-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Just an update because I was a doubter, a hater even. I'm into my second book already, plus countless sample pages to choose books. I haven't read like this since having to arrive at the school an hour early to get a parking space when picking up the kid.

I love the convenience factor. I can have my hands free to do other stuff while reading. I actually folded up clothes as an excuse to read a couple pages. I never fold up clothes. :D So far the dang thing has been a total win. I even read in bed which I never do because I can never get comfortable.