I'm considering buying something frivolous (e-reader advice)...

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Yes. Something frivolous. I've resisted e-readers but I'm sort of warming up to them and I've sort of had my eye on an iPad... but I know exactly zero about e-readers. I keep seeing the Nook at B&N, and hearing about Kindle, but I'm under the impression the iPad can be used as an e-reader.

Is there anything specific I should look at as I'm choosing which direction I should go?

Oh, and there are no PCs in my house if OS makes a difference. I'm a Macky.

Deleted member 42

Can you wait a couple more months?

I think there's a better iPad coming out, and I think we'll see a price drop.

That said, the iPad isn't for everyone.

I'd look at Kindles, Nooks and iPads. And think about where you think you'll read. Outside? In bed?

It makes a difference--and the people who hate the iPad screen really really hate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It would be a nice present I could request in March, so, yeah, I can wait. Longer than that if need be. It's just a want not a need. And I usually read either in the car waiting for the kiddo, or in the front room. I've looked at the iPads, but I haven't physically handled the others.

I'm curious about what they hate about the screen.

Oh, I forgot to add - I'm afraid in the end I won't like the e-reading experience and I'll go back to my piles of paperbacks. With the iPad I'll have something useful but with the others I'll have a paperweight.

Last edited:

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have an iPad and I use the Kindle app on it frequently. I like it. However, I wouldn't have paid the $$$ for it just to use as an e-reader. I bought it because it is versatile. For me the advantage as an e-reader is that it is backlit. The disadvantage is that it is larger and heavier than most e-readers.

I bought my son a Kindle for Christmas. He loves it and it is much easier to handle. His only complaint has been that it is not backlit.

I would advise you to go out and actually handle a few different e-readers before buying. They all have subtle differences.

Warning: ownership of an e-reader will increase the number of books you purchase by tenfold.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I love my new Kindle. It's tiny and sleek, so it slips easily into my handbag. It's easy to use - a little slow, that's all. And the text is comfortable to read. My eyes get tired and I get headaches a lot, so the latter is a top priority for me. It's my experience that Kindles multiply - my mother got one and loved it, so my father got one and loved it, so I got one and loved it ... etc etc.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I love that my Sony isn't backlit. I read, and avoid headaches.
same with me. I did see the Nook color last week and it's very pretty. The touchscreen is groovy, but I still like better that mine isn't backlit.

I can't have an iPad. If I carried the internet around with me, I'd be more useless than I already am.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Apple needs to make an iPad that weighs half as much, costs half as much and has the option to turn off the backlighting. Wait, can I turn off the backlighting?

Now I must explore.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, the screen brightness can be adjusted, but even on the lowest setting it is still much brighter than a Kindle.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've also found my Kindle to be comparatively tough - it's not made mostly of fragile glass like an iPad. Mine took a tumble down the steps at a station and there's not a scratch on it. I'm thinking of getting the cover just to be careful, but I do like not having to worry about it in my handbag.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Some great advice upthread. Thanks all.

And, like Medi said, for those of us wanting, but not needing an iPad, I'm waiting for the price shift that should be coming with the new version.

One cool thing, as yet unmentioned, about the BN reader, is that if you have a BN account, and I have a BN account, then I can "loan" you books -- assign them to your account for a couple weeks, for free. (This doesn't require the device. The reader can be on your computer or iPhone.)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
aaaaand, in a clever move to keep you coming into the bookstores, the Nook (if you leave it on) knows when you're physically in the store and will give you coupons for books and freebies at the cafe!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Henry Cavill disapproves of backlit ereaders.

I call bollocks. You see, with my iPad I am able to view full color pics and even episodes of The Tudors. I can also listen to my iTunes library, watch movies, use it as a scheduler, check my e-mail, use iPages and play a game of Angry Birds if I'm stuck waiting for shift change. Good luck doing that on a Kindle. Henry approves of the iPad.

But to derail on this derailment, I think e-readers should become standard school issue. I'm tired of seeing my ninety-two pound son heaving around a thirty pound backpack full of textbooks. For straight book reading, I'd have to vote Kindle.

ETA: or Nook. I just haven't had much exposure to the Nook. I'm sure it's comparable.

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm going to watch this thread with interest. I have a netbook with the Kindle application that I've been using to read books while I'm sitting in the lactation room at work and I've found that I do enjoy e-books, so I might get a reader. My dad got a Kindle for Christmas, but I've not really played with it.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
aaaaand, in a clever move to keep you coming into the bookstores, the Nook (if you leave it on) knows when you're physically in the store and will give you coupons for books and freebies at the cafe!

You can also read a book for an hour for free in store. I thought that was interesting.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
But to derail on this derailment, I think e-readers should become standard school issue. I'm tired of seeing my ninety-two pound son heaving around a thirty pound backpack full of textbooks.

2nd, 3rd and a "damn skippy"!

Reaction score
I just received an email from Henry Cavill. He says, "Tell kayleamay her iPad sucks donkey dick, and I love scarletpeaches more than her."

Sorry. Henry has spoken.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I love my Kindle - got the one with the light in the cover for reading in the dark. Works great, allows a one-handed person like me to turn pages safely and it somehow makes reading so much easier for me that I have read 23 books since I bought it (last Oct)

Yeah, I really like it - carry it around with me everywhere!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just received an email from Henry Cavill. He says, "Tell kayleamay her iPad sucks donkey dick, and I love scarletpeaches more than her."

Sorry. Henry has spoken.

You are lying. Henry would never be so foul-mouthed. There is a special place in hell reserved for you.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But to derail on this derailment, I think e-readers should become standard school issue. I'm tired of seeing my ninety-two pound son heaving around a thirty pound backpack full of textbooks.
Same here. My daughter is already getting backaches and I don't know what to do for her.