True Grit vs True Grit - spoilers galore

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone cares to compare the New version of True Grit, with the John Wayne version of the seventies.

First let me say that I truly liked the Cohen brothers version and think it stands on its own as an outstanding movie with great characters and an excellent job by all the actors. Also, a much truer to the book version.

Having said that, I find the Dukes version more personable, more exciting, and stronger in terms of character bonding which may sound strange.

The biggest difference for me, was the relationship between Cog-burn and Mattie, which was definitely more subtle in the new movie. I was a bit disappointed that more of a chemistry didn't develop between Jeff Bridges and the new girl, (sorry i have to get her name, wonderful actress though)

I thought John Wayne's Cog-burn really took her under his wing and saw so much of himself in her that it came across on the screen....

I will add more if anyone else cares to muse with me....

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I agree with all that you said.

Despite--in the new movie--what Cogburn does, he neer really forms a strong on-screen bond with Mattie, in my view.

That said, Bridges was great in the role.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the new one yet. Have been told by someone connected with the film biz a small tale about the pivotal racing across the meadow gun battle scene. *Supposedly* John Wayne did it riding in the back of a truck, Jeff really did it.

MM

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. John Wayne was old and dying then, wasn't he? I wouldn't hold it against him.

Josef VonQuestenberg

On thin ice
Registered
Reaction score
The original True Grit was amazing showmanship and acting. The new True Grit is amazing in it's acting and cinematography. Acting and filming in the 50's was MUCH MUCH harder than it is now; and the new True Grit was more close to the original novel's storyline.

So; in terms of it as a remake, the new True Grit is as good as a Remake of a classic can be. Both shows were good in their own right; but they are entirely different in a few ways, and that invalidates comparing them with unbiased answers. After all; the original True Grit had "The Duke."

@Mary Mumsy, doing the Shooting scene from a horses back then would have been twice as hard as today's shooting, and money was different, as was technology.

Todays equipment is advanced enough that it can be done by todays definition of perfect, the old one was perfect in the sense back then. The time-gap is too much to compare for two amazing films.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw both movies back to back. We watched a DVD of the original version (I think it was something like late 60's, not the 50's, but I'd have to go back and check.) Then we went to the theatre and saw the new version.

They truly are different movies. I loved both of them for different reasons.

ETA: Just looked it up. True Grit was originally made in 1969.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Ol' Boy and I saw it this afternoon... him with an open mind, me with not so much of one. I didn't see how anyone could come close to Duke.

I was wrong. (Make note of that. It doesn't happen often that I admit such foolishness.)

I never liked the Original due to Kim Darby... Hailee Steinfeld is 1000 times an improvement. Jeff Bridges did an outstanding job and I forgot all about Duke's version less than half way in. Duke was Duke and there's no replacing or replaying Duke - Bridges did his own thing and was as good as it gets.

It's a keeper, as far as I'm concerned, and one we'll add to our DVD collection as soon as it comes out.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I went into this thing with an open mind because I remember all the fuss I made about Heath Ledger taking over The Joker, and that really gave me a wake-up call about judging performances before actually seeing them for myself.

Bridges was great. He did his own thing and put a unique spin on Cogburn. The girl was fantastic. Even Matt Damon managed to crack me up. Best character though was the wayward medic. Classic Cohen Brothers.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Ol' Boy and I saw it this afternoon... him with an open mind, me with not so much of one. I didn't see how anyone could come close to Duke.

I was wrong. (Make note of that. It doesn't happen often that I admit such foolishness.)

I never liked the Original due to Kim Darby... Hailee Steinfeld is 1000 times an improvement. Jeff Bridges did an outstanding job and I forgot all about Duke's version less than half way in. Duke was Duke and there's no replacing or replaying Duke - Bridges did his own thing and was as good as it gets.

It's a keeper, as far as I'm concerned, and one we'll add to our DVD collection as soon as it comes out.

Thanks for coming up with Hailee Steinfeld's name, she was outstanding. Darby was a disappointment, and when compared to this girl a real disappointment.

One thing that I take from comparing the two, is just how good John Wayne really was as an actor. I think to some extent he always gets a pass on his acting ability because he became such an icon. Jeff Bridges does a hell of a job, and plays the role to the tee.

But Wayne not only holds his own to Bridges, but brings the baggage of being "JOHN WAYNE" to the role, if you know what I mean.

When you take that into consideration, I actually gained a whole new respect for the Dukes acting ability.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize , I thought the movie original was made around '74... I think i was thinking about "The shootist"

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all that you said.

Despite--in the new movie--what Cogburn does, he neer really forms a strong on-screen bond with Mattie, in my view.

That said, Bridges was great in the role.

The scene that really played for me in Wayne's version, was when Mattie was in the water with the horse, and I believe Waynes line is: "Damn, if she don't remind me of me"

That line isn't in the new movie, maybe wasn't in the book. But the look on Dukes face is one of a proud papa, and always stuck with me.

Also, I do think the Cohen brothers made a mistake by having Bridges tell about his escapades on horseback, instead of one on one to Mattie as was done in the original. The scene between Wayne and Mattie on the rock is priceless... best line: "I needed a road stake, so I robbed (whatever) and Mattie says: Stealing is stealing whatever the reason. Wayne: "That was the attitude them New Mexicans took"

I love it...

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A minor quibble: the brothers name is Coen. No H. Although I imagine they don't care as long as it is spelled correctly on checks and awards ;)

MM

rebmacrath

Registered
Reaction score
One thing troubled me greatly about the new film, despite Bridges' amazing performance: supposedly in keeping with the novel's literary/somewhat artificial dialogue, the characters almost never use contractions in their speech. So, we have relatively uneducated men like Cogburn proclaiming "I do not know" or "I can not see", which would make a lot more sense for the somewhat bookish girl. Not only that, a couple of times the actors let out an "ain't" or a "don't"...and the look of blissful relief in their eyes was really something to see.

How did the Wayne version compare in this regard?

I salute the Coens for their fidelity to the novel. But I question what point the novel was attempting to make with this tack.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
The Coeh Bros. and Jeff Bridges Rock!

I read the book before seeing the John Wayne/Kim Darby version. I was utterly dissapointed. The book is about the girl; she's the character with *true grit* and she drove the story. The movie was merely a star vehicle for Wayne.

My understanding is the Coen Bros.' version is true to the book. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

BTW and off topic...How great is Jeff Bridges! Have you seen him in the public service commercial addressing hunger in America? (It's an uncreditted role; he's simply holding a sign like the other participants in the commercial.) He's been active in this organization for something like 12 years. He's a Michigan native and uses his star power to help the state as well.

Last edited:

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
One thing troubled me greatly about the new film, despite Bridges' amazing performance: supposedly in keeping with the novel's literary/somewhat artificial dialogue, the characters almost never use contractions in their speech. So, we have relatively uneducated men like Cogburn proclaiming "I do not know" or "I can not see", which would make a lot more sense for the somewhat bookish girl. Not only that, a couple of times the actors let out an "ain't" or a "don't"...and the look of blissful relief in their eyes was really something to see.

How did the Wayne version compare in this regard?

I salute the Coens for their fidelity to the novel. But I question what point the novel was attempting to make with this tack.

I never really thought of this before, it's an interesting question, and to be honest, I may have to go back and watch the original before commenting. I do know wjat you mean though.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I read the book before seeing the John Wayne/Kim Darby version. I was bitterly disappointed. The book is about the girl; she's the character with *true grit* and she drove the story. The movie was merely a star vehicle for Wayne.

My understanding is the Coen Bros.' version is true to the book. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

BTW and off topic...How great is Jeff Bridges! Have you seen him in the public service commercial addressing hunger in America? (It's an uncreditted role; he's simply holding a sign like the other participants in the commercial.) He's been active in this organization for something like 12 years. He's a Michigan native and uses his star power to help the state as well.

I would disagree with you on th movie being simply a star vehicle for John Wayne. That would imply that Wayne needed the movie to enhance his career at the time of its making, which wouldn't be true, he was a proven tried and true box office star without "True Grit".

However, I strongly agree with your assessment of Jeff Bridges, who has built a body of work that is just amazing, and is a very god human being to boot.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
I remember reading that the agent of Charles Portis personally brought the True Grit galleys to John Wayne's Batjac Production office and he optioned the book months before the novel was released.

Allegedly, Portis always envisioned John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn.

Or vice-versa.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I would disagree with you on th movie being simply a star vehicle for John Wayne. That would imply that Wayne needed the movie to enhance his career at the time of its making, which wouldn't be true, he was a proven tried and true box office star without "True Grit".

However, I strongly agree with your assessment of Jeff Bridges, who has built a body of work that is just amazing, and is a very god human being to boot.

The movie was scripted to portray Cogburn/Wayne as the central person or "star" of the movie. His popularity and name recognition certainly brought people into the theaters. The Wayne movie version did not follow the book.

And while I would stop short of calling Jeff Bridges a god, he's pretty high up there in my book. <g>

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I wouldn't necessarily say "star vehicle" means that it's a film used to "enhance" a career, so much as to showcase an actor to ensure a successful box office run. The Last Samurai for instance is a star vehicle for Tom Cruise. Not that he needed anything to enhance his career (at the time at least, he's struggled at the box office since about MI:3), but the way the film was produced and advertised was all about featuring Tom Cruise. Mind you, I liked The Last Samurai, and certainly Ken Wantanabe managed to elevate his presence in the international film community despite it being a star vehicle for Tom, but that's my take on it.

I haven't seen the first adaptation of True Grit since I was a kid, but I wouldn't be surprised it came across as a star vehicle for Wayne.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went to see the original True Grit with my parents when I was in my teens.

All I can remember is that we walked out of the theater, didn't see most of it. My mother thought it was awful, that's all I remember.

I'd like to see the new version.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well except I love John Wayne and don't care for Jeff Bridges or the Coen Brothers.

I come down exactly on the opposite side. I don't like John Wayne and I dig Jeff Bridges and the Coen Brothers.

True Grit:1969 vs. True Grit:2010? It's the new version and it's not even a close call.

• John Wayne's Oscar win for playing Rooster Cogburn was for sentimental reasons as much as his acting. He beat out Richard Burton in Anne of the Thousand Days, Peter O'Toole in Goodbye, Mr. Chips and both Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy. Seriously? That's nothing but a lifetime achievement award for the Duke.
  • Kim Darby was 22-years-old trying to play 14-year-old Mattie Ross. Hailee Steinfeld was 13-years-old when she got her shot. Advantage: Hailee.
  • Joel and Ethan Coen's direction vs. Henry Hathaway's direction. 'Nuff said.
  • Matt Damon vs. Glen Campbell as LaBoeuf? Game, set, match.

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
I like them both

Finally made it to the theater to see True Grit, and I dragged my uncle (the ultimate John Wayne fan) with me. He wanted to see what all the fuss was about and actually liked the movie.

I agree with some of the previous comments. The lack of contractions made the dialogue seem a little stilted at times. I have the same problem with reading books. Maybe it's the people I hang around with but most of them say 'don't' instead of 'do not', etc., so it sounds odd to me.

While I prefer this Mattie, I have to agree there seemed to be more of a relationship between Mattie and Cogburn in the Duke's version.

I was also a little shocked with the ending. With Hollywood's near-addictive need to make sequels, I was completely caught off guard with the conclusion, especially considering that the original actually had a sequel so a Part Two would've made sense.