PDA

View Full Version : Military/Injured enough to send home

Storyteller5
01-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Okay, I've tried searching this online without success. Character is military, probably air force. He got injured while deployed in Afghanistan, but I don't know what would be grounds for him to be sent home instead of just in hospital and back to the field. (Character is not a main character so I don't have to write all the recovery stuff. He needs to be well enough that he's not hospitalized at home if possible.)

Drachen Jager
01-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't think that would happen. It would depend a bit on the needs of his unit, but normally if you break a leg or something they would just put you on some form of desk-duty but still in the theatre of operations. Unless they really didn't want more administrative staff or they were getting ready to return anyhow I can't really see why they would send someone home.

The only scenarios I can think why someone would get sent home like that would be a problem on the home front. Say if the guy's wife died in a traffic accident and he had kids they might send him back on compassionate grounds, he would need to go through a padre but the military priests are pretty good at pulling strings when they feel it's the right thing to do. Keep in mind this info is based on my knowledge of the Canadian military, your mileage may vary.

GregS
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
What Drachen said.

As a rule, it takes something really dramatic to rotate you state-side (i.e. traumatic amputation). Beyond that, they tend to the vast majority of injuries in-theater, and even if they have to ship you out they do so to someplace close but more established, like Germany.

Storyteller5
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you. He's not a major character and he was due back in a couple of months anyway so if I have to change it up, I can. (He is Canadian too.)

ETA: he could have been in hospital for a couple of weeks before shipping home if that helps.

shaldna
01-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Here it can really vary. My brother was sent home when he dislocated his knee - rendering him virtually useless for about 8 months. He was eventually discharged on other grounds before he had to go back.

A friends brother was discharged after he was badly injured in a roadside bomb. He suffered massive injuries to his head and neck and lost almost 5 pints of blood at the scene. He's still recovering nearly two years on, and day to day life is really hard for him. There was never any question of him going back, it just wasn't goign to happen.

Nivarion
01-16-2011, 12:47 PM
A much more minor injury I saw in a documentary was a guy who jumped/fell out of a chopper while it was a bit too high. Broke both ankles and they sent him home.

Its just a bit sickening to remember the pictures.

blackrose602
01-17-2011, 05:35 AM
Don't know much about Canadian military, but I knew a guy from the States who was in Iraq. He was jumped in a bar fight and hit in the head with brass knuckles. I don't know the details of his injury, but there was suspected neurological damage. He was hospitalized there for a few weeks, then in a rehab center stateside for a few weeks. His wife signed him out AMA. He perked up pretty quickly after he got home, and ended up with desk duty stateside.

Hallen
01-17-2011, 05:48 AM
You may want to look at this thread:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195001&highlight=theater+hospital