PDA

View Full Version : Any one in Ontario Canada?

MaryMumsy
01-14-2011, 08:28 AM
I need to know what the title of the highest provincial legal person is. Like the attorney general for a state in the US. I have an issue with a mail order company. They operate in the US from Lewiston NY, but their home office is in Richmond Hill ON. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of a Canadian company. I will make one more phone call, but if they don't make things right I want to know who to threaten them with.

MM

jennontheisland
01-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Well, we have provincial Attorney General offices in each province, but if a company is doing something illegal, I'm not sure that's where you'd go.

I found this site when I googled 'Ontario Provincial Law'
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/navigation?file=home&lang=en

Another thing you could try as a means to get information, though I'm not sure this number would work outside Canada is 1-800-OCANADA (that's the letter O)

That number is like directory assistance for any and every government department and they are amazingly helpful.

MaryMumsy
01-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks Jenn. I don't know if it would be considered illegal. I ordered merchandise. It was received in good condition and in a timely manner. But it was not suitable for my needs. In accordance with their return policy, I returned it. It was received at their PO box in NY on Oct 18, and I still do not have my refund, after several phone calls. They have acknowledged receiving it, and my request for a refund, but so far no check. It is not a massive amount ($100), but it is the principal of the thing.

MM

jennontheisland
01-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Rather than calling customer service, maybe try their accounts payable? It could be that your payment just hasn't worked its way through that process.

Silver King
01-15-2011, 04:36 AM
If you don't find the answers you are seeking in this room, MM, I can move this thread to the Research and Experts forum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66). The folks there might offer additional help.

Xelebes
01-15-2011, 05:05 AM
I need to know what the title of the highest provincial legal person is. Like the attorney general for a state in the US. I have an issue with a mail order company. They operate in the US from Lewiston NY, but their home office is in Richmond Hill ON. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of a Canadian company. I will make one more phone call, but if they don't make things right I want to know who to threaten them with.

MM

Canadian law system doesn't rattle those by going higher up. If the matter is grave enough, contact the RCMP. Else, contact a barrister or take it up in Small Claims Court.

MaryMumsy
01-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Canadian law system doesn't rattle those by going higher up. If the matter is grave enough, contact the RCMP. Else, contact a barrister or take it up in Small Claims Court.

If you don't find the answers you are seeking in this room, MM, I can move this thread to the Research and Experts forum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66). The folks there might offer additional help.

Since they have a presence in NY, perhaps the NY state attorney general would be a sufficient threat. Or I can just clog up their 1-800 number with calls :evil

Thanks SK, but I think I'm OK, and we'll let this fall to the bottom of the pile.

MM