PDA

View Full Version : Your Zodiac sign is not what you think it is...

thothguard51
01-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Read it here folks, your astrological sign may not be what you think it is...

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/your-astronomical-sign.html

Early astronomers observed the Sun traveling through the signs of the Zodiac in the course of one year, spending about a month in each. Thus, they calculated that each constellation extends 30 degrees across the ecliptic.

However, a phenomenon called precession has altered the position of the constellations we see today.

And here are the new calculations of the 13 Zodiac signs. Yes there are now 13...

Capricorn - Jan 20 to Feb 16
Aquarius - Feb 16 to Mar 11
Pisces - Mar 11 to Apr 18
Aries - Apr 18 to May 13
Taurus - May 13 to Jun 21
Gemini - Jun 21 to Jul 20
Cancer - Jul 20 to Aug 10
Leo - Aug 10 to Sep 16
Virgo - Sep 16 to Oct 30
Libra - Oct 30 to Nov 23
Scorpius - Nov 23 to Nov 29
Ophiuchus - Nov 29 to Dec 17 <<< -- This is a new zodiac sign...
Sagittarius - Dec 17 to Jan 20

I claim bullshit, everyone knows I am a Leo...I don't want to be a Cancer...

Tifferbugz
01-14-2011, 03:41 AM
I don't know how to act anymore! How does an Ophiuchus act??? :roll:

alleycat
01-14-2011, 03:44 AM
I don't know how to act anymore! How does an Ophiuchus act???
They send money to everyone they know on online forums.

Captcha
01-14-2011, 03:59 AM
I'd be a terrible Sagittarius - unless they change the meanings of the signs, as well...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Libra!?!

A Scorpio transmorgrified into a LIBRA?

There is NO way I'm a Libra.

I reject their reality and substitute my own.

LadyVonFright
01-14-2011, 04:35 AM
what...im Ophiuchus ??? now
i am a totall saggy, i cant be an ophy what the HECK is an ophy :( *sigh*

thothguard51
01-14-2011, 04:48 AM
I have searched for what the new Zodiac sign Ophiuchus may mean, but its so new, I don't think anyone has figured out what this sign means, or how it affects anyone born during that time...

Not that I believe in this crap, but my mom paid to have my horoscope read when I was born and the results are spooky... very spooky on how things turned out. Which is why my mom said she was never worried about me.

Kateness
01-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Ha. Just managed to hang onto Virgo :D

DeleyanLee
01-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Look--another BS way of making the news!

If you're serious about astrology, you know that the dates of the signs change from year to year and it's not as set as the newspapers make it out to be and there's far more important influences on a person's personality than their sun sign. If you're not serious about astrology, then it doesn't really matter in the first place.

:Shrug:

Kaiser-Kun
01-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Yaaaaaaay I can be Dohko de Libra now =D

http://www.forojovenes.com/usuarios/francesco-casanova-11893-fotos-dohko-de-libra-603-foto4785-dohko-de-libra-1.jpg

Jersey Chick
01-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Libra!?!

This.

A thousand times this.

A millions times this.

Pistol Whipped Bee
01-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Oh Ho Ho No. There is no logic or balance - whatsoever - to my being a Virgo. 'Speaking' on behalf of Libras everywhere, we resent very much the suggestion that we are "mutable".

No.

Pass.

leahzero
01-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Standard skeptic's disclaimer: I don't really believe in astrology, but...

I'm definitely an Aries.

Detri Redmond
01-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Ha Ha...I'm still a Sag. And yes we're technically the only zodiacs with a weapon...unless the new one, Orthodontist gets a weapon too. :D

thethinker42
01-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Libra!?!

And I'm a freaking VIRGO?? I've been a Libra-Scorpio-rising all my life.

@#$% their newfangled, heretical astrological calendar. I'm a Libra and that's that. *stomps foot*

thethinker42
01-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Oh Ho Ho No. There is no logic or balance - whatsoever - to my being a Virgo. 'Speaking' on behalf of Libras everywhere, we resent very much the suggestion that we are "mutable".

No.

Pass.

As another Libra, I say AMEN.

thothguard51
01-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Ha Ha...I'm still a Sag. And yes we're technically the only zodiacs with a weapon...unless the new one, Orthodontist gets a weapon too. :D

Leo's don't need weapons...

Ruth2
01-14-2011, 07:17 AM

Maybe Orthos use drills?????

thothguard51
01-14-2011, 07:20 AM
And spits a lot...

Detri Redmond
01-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Leo's don't need weapons...
Come on now Thoth, I'm half man and half horse also...even a leo is jealous of that :D

rhymegirl
01-14-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm gonna stay being an Aries no matter what, even if they say I'm not one.

thothguard51
01-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Half man, half horse, = confusion.

Amyre
01-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Lies. It's all lies. I refuse to be an Opticocacolawutever. I've always been a sag and I ain't changin fer nuffin. :guns:

thothguard51
01-14-2011, 08:04 AM
This is like the Catholic Church when they decided it was no longer a sin to eat meat on Fridays.

Some poor soul is still serving time in purgatory for eating a big mac the week before the rule was changed...

thethinker42
01-14-2011, 08:17 AM
I was born under the sign "END SPEED ZONE."

Also, a few people discussing this on Twitter have said it only applies to people born after 2010. Which means, assuming the internetpeople know of what they speak, that I am safely a Libra. SO THERE.

Tifferbugz
01-14-2011, 08:20 AM
I was born under the sign "END SPEED ZONE."

Also, a few people discussing this on Twitter have said it only applies to people born after 2010. Which means, assuming the internetpeople know of what they speak, that I am safely a Libra. SO THERE.

Then I still have my horse ass. :yessmiley

MaryMumsy
01-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Libra!?!

They want to make me a Virgo. I think not.

MM

darkprincealain
01-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Taurus. Schmaurus.

I don't really believe in it, but I've been a Gemini all this time and I'm not certain the doohickeys and the whoseewhatsees can do anything about that. :tongue

Eudoxia
01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
This logic is flawed! I will forever remain a Scorpio and no astronomer can tell me otherwise.
If they do, I'm going to be shoving my foot up where the stars don't shine!

Tifferbugz
01-14-2011, 08:43 AM
This logic is flawed! I will forever remain a Scorpio and no astronomer can tell me otherwise.

Sounds like a scorpio attitude to me!~ ;)

mccardey
01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
I was born on May 9 ( 144 shopping days, people!) which made me a Taurus but, hey, don't those guys get the worst horoscopes? I converted to Capricorn when I was 20. I've never looked back.

CheG
01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
I just heard about thi and it turn me from Capricorn to Sagitarius which is BS. I am Capricorn to the BONE!

I'm asking my astrologer friend if she believes this or not.

regdog
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I could be either a Leo or Virgo. It isn't s big switch since I was born Virgo with Leo rising.

Either way, I'm a bossy, fussy, my way is best, so get with the program grouch :D

LadyVonFright
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I just read this and found out that it is not true, we are all our original signs!!!

http://www.dailyhoroscope.com/horoscope-headlines/ophiuchus-the-13th-zodiac-sign

Priene
01-14-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm asking my astrologer friend if she believes this or not.

It's not a question of believing it. Axial precession is a fact (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession_%28astronomy%29). If there was a solar eclipse today, the constellation appearing around the sun would be Sagittarius, not Capricornus. When astrology was invented, they took the sign names from the constellations the sun then passed through. It all went slowly out of kilter but astrologers never felt inclined to change their signs. In about 24000 years time, they'll all match up again, if you feel like waiting.

Mr Flibble
01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm sorry, I just refuse to be an Aries. *has stubborn Taurus moment*

Priene
01-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Incidentally, if you've ever wondered what all that Age of Aquarius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Aquarius) stuff was about, it's all part of the same process.

Lyra Jean
01-14-2011, 06:33 PM
It says I'm a Virgo now but I don't feel anymore decisive. I'm going to stick with Libra.

Kaiser-Kun
01-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Yeah! Screw them. I''ll keep being a bleeping scorpio because I bleeping want to. Also, I hate you all 'cuz you're just jealous of my success.

tjwriter
01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I definitely behave more like an Aquarius than a Capricorn, as does my oldest.

kayleamay
01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
According to this I'm a Pisces? Me thinks not. Pisces are described as gentle, sensitive, malleable, impractical and popular. I don't think anyone would use any of these words to describe me. Ever.

I am an Aries. Stubborn, possesive, jealous, egotistical and detached.

The proof is in the pudding, folks. This fancy thirteenth sign business is pure bollocks.

*puts ram horn helmet back on*

Thump
01-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't want to be Cancer! I don't want my sign to be crabs!

I liked being Leo... rowr!

Kidding aside, I'll be whatever sign I was actually born under. 1 August 1985, 6 am, Southern Hemisphere, anyone know if that makes me cancer, astronomically speaking?

My horrorscope sign however is Zombie and I'm keeping it.

whacko
01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
As a test tube baby, my star sign's Pyrex...:D

mscelina
01-14-2011, 10:05 PM
A Virgo? Moi?

:ROFL:

As if.

Cranky
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm as similiar to a Libra as I am to a space alien. Which is not at all, for all you smart alecks out there.

Scorpio, forever! *stomps foot*

joyce
01-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Well even this new change can't change me from being a Taurus. I always knew I was bullheaded and I guess I will continue being that way.

tjwriter
01-14-2011, 10:23 PM
There seem to be an awful lot of Scorpio's around this thread...

Kaiser-Kun
01-14-2011, 10:40 PM

So what?
Got a problem?!

DamaNegra
01-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Ha! Still a Pisces.

Cella
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Libra!?!

^this!

:rant:

tjwriter
01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
So what?
Got a problem?!
Just wondering if you lot are notoriusly resistant to change...

PrincessofPersia
01-14-2011, 11:15 PM
The astronomer in question merely pointed out the precession of the Earth's axis. He never said that the astrological signs need to change. Additionally, the "new" sign has actually been around for a while. It is just typically left out.

No.

Pass.

There is no logic to associating your personality to a random assortment of astronomical objects with vast distances between them.

lizbeth dylan
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
As a planned c-section baby born 2 weeks before actual due date...I've always read both Pisces and Aries anyway and felt I was a strange mix of both.

On my good days, I'll go along with anything to keep everyone happy.

On my bad days, I'm just looking for a chance to ram someone in the backside if they mess with me.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-15-2011, 03:16 AM
And I just got over my indignation long enough to check out Ol' Boy's zodiac... and he's (supposedly) moved from Pisces to AQUARIUS?

My, my, mymymy.

No.

Never.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-15-2011, 03:22 AM
I just read this and found out that it is not true, we are all our original signs!!!

http://www.dailyhoroscope.com/horoscope-headlines/ophiuchus-the-13th-zodiac-sign

You are wonderful... and we Scorpios don't hand out praise lightly.

Just wondering if you lot are notoriusly resistant to change...

The only change we approve of is the change we instigate.

Neurotic
01-15-2011, 03:59 AM

I think you meant an awful lot of Libra's. ;)

Even without prrrfukt's link, I was pretty meh about the whole thing. The only chance astrologers had for convincing me I was suddenly a virgin was if they developed a time machine and a better-decision-making ray gun. Nope, still either chubby, indecisive or unbalanced.

sadron
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Bull crap! I'm eternal Aquarius! Nuff said! Everyone knows I act like one.

seun
01-15-2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.exploreastrology.co.uk/PersonalityTraitsScorpio.html

Scorpios are truly the contradicting sign. They can be the best and worst of both worlds - independent and clingy, loving and cold, authoritative and weak. Above all else, they are intense about almost everything.
Because of their intensity, Scorpios can be jealous, possessive, and controlling. When mistreated, they will make it their objective to get revenge, even if it takes years. They like to keep their true emotions hidden from others, which causes people to perceive them as cold and uncaring.Seeing as this is me exactly, I'll stick with being a Scorpio, thanks.

thothguard51
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Leo's rule...

seun
01-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Leo's rule...

The school?

MattW
01-16-2011, 06:30 AM
The new sign, Ophiuchus, is also known as the Snake Annoyer. Worst Name Ever. Is it a snake that leaves long messages, or like a mongoose that already had a big lunch?

I'm not changing my sign to Taurus. My Gemini nature is too strong.

BenPanced
01-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Of course, astrology's a viable science! It ends in "-ology", right?

And the only horoscope I read with any regularity is the one in The Onion.

SCORPIO TILL THE DAY I DIE!

JimmyB27
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
It's not a question of believing it. Axial precession is a fact (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession_%28astronomy%29). If there was a solar eclipse today, the constellation appearing around the sun would be Sagittarius, not Capricornus. When astrology was invented, they took the sign names from the constellations the sun then passed through. It all went slowly out of kilter but astrologers never felt inclined to change their signs. In about 24000 years time, they'll all match up again, if you feel like waiting.
You appear to be applying logic to astrology. That right there is your mistake.

JimmyB27
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Of course, astrology's a viable science! It ends in "-ology", right?

And the only horoscope I read with any regularity is the one in The Onion.

SCORPIO TILL THE DAY I DIE!
The Daily Mash (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk) one is pretty awesome too. Here's mine for this week:

Virgo (23 AUG-22 SEP)
As the latest Bond film gets the green light now is your chance to play the sexy Bulgarian translator/assassin with the legs that go all the way down to the ground. We just need to find a way of concealing your balls.

Priene
01-17-2011, 11:13 PM
You appear to be applying logic to astrology. That right there is your mistake.

I know, I know. But saying this is all twaddle doesn't get very far. Pointing out that the zodiacal personality attributes apply to the sun's position against constellations as they were 2000 years ago probably won't work either, but you've got to try.

Rowan
01-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Heard about this when the story first came out, but just found this thread.
I'm an ARIES and I refuse to be mislabeled as a freakin' Pisces. WTFO? No way, no how. I'm 100% Aries, for good and bad. :)

jilly61
01-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Once a stubborn Taurean, always a stubborn taurean.

Fairies wear bOOts:)
01-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Western society has been following the Western system from thousands of years, and same with the Eastern system called Vedic or Sidereal... If you go read your horoscope in India the, ‘new dates,’ are what have been in their papers for years. This is because what they believe is that the stars still define everything about astrology, but what Western has known/believed for ages is that it is actually defined by seasons therefore the dates never changed with the new star placements.

These articles are very biased, published on the Eastern system, stating that everyone’s signs have 'all of a sudden' changed, which they haven’t. Unless you would like to go over to to Eastern astrology, (which is perfectly fine if you liked your new signs better), don't listen to any of this and stick to Western.

(Also, if you'll notice, the dates in OUR papers are not going to change. The Western astrologers aren't all of a sudden switching over, this was just a presentation of a different system).